avatar

biigniick

Silverado

Posts: 157 Member Since: 16/02/2011

Lead

Jun 19 14 5:38 PM

Tags : :

hi everyone,
i'm looking for solutions to be able to embed ISRC's into wav masters for clients since it seems like a cool thing to do these days.  the announcement was made a few months ago, but i haven't seen any DAW's or products that are able to add these to wav files.  i've heared rumors of Pyramix, Nuendo, WaveLab and a few others that have this capability, but i've not been able to confirm this first hand.  i do know the new Sonoris DDP Creator 3.1.0 will have this capability (so says the manual) but i haven't upgraded yet.

i was checking out BWF MetaEdit because it seemed solid and free.  it also had a field labeled ISRC.  i thought jackpot!  but after reading the documentation, i think the field labeled ISRC is for whatever they are calling 'source'.  here is the documentation.  http://www.digitizationguidelines.gov/audio-visual/documents/core_doc_help.html  it's the 3rd from the bottom in Core.

i also double checked EBU3352, the paper outlining the new ISRC in WAV file standard and it says the isrc should be in a field called GUID...
https://tech.ebu.ch/docs/tech/tech3352.pdf


i was getting confused, so i thought i'd share here.  anyone have any thoughts on this?

thanks,
- nick


 
Quote    Reply   
avatar

ShawnJHatfield

Silverado

Posts: 187 Member Since:19/05/2011

#1 [url]

Jun 19 14 6:29 PM

I had the same reaction when I found the ISRC field in BWF MetaEdit. I'm curious, too. I saw Peter from Sonoris released an upgrade a couple of days ago for DDP Creator Pro that embeds ISRC's into the Waves based on the MPG/EBU standard, but I won't be upgrading to pro.

Shawn Hatfield www.audibleoddities.com

Quote    Reply   
avatar

dagoose

Tin Man

Posts: 24 Member Since:07/10/2012

#3 [url]

Jun 20 14 2:16 AM

Wavelab 8.x can indeed be used to embed ISRC codes in WAV files. There are also quite a lot of other things that you can embed with it. And yes, Sonoris 3.1 also supports it, but like you said, just the pro version. I haven't tested it yet (I have the pro-version), but it should work. I think it's a good thing to embed the codes to make it future-proof.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

biigniick

Silverado

Posts: 157 Member Since:16/02/2011

#5 [url]

Jun 20 14 11:37 PM

ok, so i tried the Sonoris standalone editor and it seems easy enough. i opened the file in BWF Meta Edit and the ISRC field was blank. that leads me to believe the ISRC field in BWF EBUCore is not the International Standard Recording Code. like the documentation suggested, ISRC must stand for some sort of "source" and not ISRC as we know...

DDPC Pro looks great and has been solid in the past.

it's good to hear about CD Architect too. is that new in Version 5.2?

- nick

Quote    Reply   
avatar

resolectric

Gold Finger

Posts: 645 Member Since:26/01/2011

#6 [url]

Jun 21 14 5:04 AM

I can't remember how it was in CDA4. I've been using CDA 5.2 for years. There have been no updates for a long time, i guess Sony has abandoned CDA and dedicated themselves to Vegas instead.

You can insert ISRC on the track list in CDA, and save a single file or a sequence of files as a WAV (with embeded subcode data, including ISRC) or burn it directly into a Master CD.

If you save the file or the project containing several files as a WAV, you can then open it in Sonoris DDP Creator. There's an option there to Import CDA (CD Architect Image File) and all the subcode data, including ISRC, will be instantly recognized and displayed by DDP Creator.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

adetableoftone

Silverado

Posts: 96 Member Since:01/02/2011

#8 [url]

Jun 21 14 6:49 PM

biigniick wrote:
ok, so i tried the Sonoris standalone editor and it seems easy enough. i opened the file in BWF Meta Edit and the ISRC field was blank. that leads me to believe the ISRC field in BWF EBUCore is not the International Standard Recording Code. like the documentation suggested, ISRC must stand for some sort of "source" and not ISRC as we know...

DDPC Pro looks great and has been solid in the past.

it's good to hear about CD Architect too. is that new in Version 5.2?

- nick

The ISRC field in the RIFF/Core chunk of a BWF wav is actually the source field and is not the official place to embed an ISRC code, although adding the code there as well as an aXML chunk will not do any harm as Media Monkey (used by some aggregators) actually reads it from there and embeds it in the correct ID3 field when converting to MP3 or FLAC. The updated Sonoris DDPC Pro adds an aXML identifier containing the ISRC. This aXML identifier is set to become the standard.

Ade Emsley Table Of Tone Mastering

Quote    Reply   
avatar

safeandsound

Silverado

Posts: 202 Member Since:21/02/2011

#9 [url]

Jun 23 14 2:46 AM

I have been doing this in Wavelab for around a month now. Easy and fussless and very important to be able to do it
if it will end up affecting musicians royalty payouts.

www.masteringmastering.co.uk Mastered audio examples PMC IB1S, Manley Massive Passive, Summit DCL-200, HCL Vari Mu, Custom mastering EQ (stereo ganged, stepped switched), Benchmark DAC1 HDR, low rates, visit site for lots of information on mastering.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

biigniick

Silverado

Posts: 157 Member Since:16/02/2011

#10 [url]

Jun 23 14 3:03 PM

adetableoftone wrote:
The ISRC field in the RIFF/Core chunk of a BWF wav is actually the source field and is not the official place to embed an ISRC code, although adding the code there as well as an aXML chunk will not do any harm as Media Monkey (used by some aggregators) actually reads it from there and embeds it in the correct ID3 field when converting to MP3 or FLAC. The updated Sonoris DDPC Pro adds an aXML identifier containing the ISRC. This aXML identifier is set to become the standard.

​yes, i assumed so.  it's always good to hear someone else say it just to make sure.  ;-)
good to know some sill 'fix' the ones in the source field.

resolectric wrote:

You can insert ISRC on the track list in CDA, and save a single file or a sequence of files as a WAV (with embeded subcode data, including ISRC) or burn it directly into a Master CD.

If you save the file or the project containing several files as a WAV, you can then open it in Sonoris DDP Creator. There's an option there to Import CDA (CD Architect Image File) and all the subcode data, including ISRC, will be instantly recognized and displayed by DDP Creator.

this is not in the .wav file...  i assume all that info is in the .cda file and not the wav file itsself, but i have no way to confirm this.  
 
Tarekith wrote:
Just heard from Audiofile this functionality is coming to Sample Manager and Triumph shortly too.

yes, i talked with cory back in april and they said they were working on it.  so, i guess any time now.

- nick

Quote    Reply   
avatar

ruairi

Aqua Marine

Posts: 2,622 Member Since:10/02/2011

#11 [url]

Jun 23 14 7:23 PM

So I've read and reread the thread and some elsewhere, still unsure. Does the Sonoris App put the ISRC code in the "right" place?

Quote    Reply   
avatar

resolectric

Gold Finger

Posts: 645 Member Since:26/01/2011

#12 [url]

Jun 24 14 8:00 AM

biigniick wrote:

...
resolectric wrote:

You can insert ISRC on the track list in CDA, and save a single file or a sequence of files as a WAV (with embeded subcode data, including ISRC) or burn it directly into a Master CD.

If you save the file or the project containing several files as a WAV, you can then open it in Sonoris DDP Creator. There's an option there to Import CDA (CD Architect Image File) and all the subcode data, including ISRC, will be instantly recognized and displayed by DDP Creator.

this is not in the .wav file...  i assume all that info is in the .cda file and not the wav file itsself, but i have no way to confirm this.  
...
 



Yes, files rendered this way by CD Architect are WAV files.
It's just Sonoris DDP Creator that refers to the WAV file created by CDA as a "Cda image" (under Import tab) but it's really a WAV file with embeded CD-Text and/or ISRC data.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

waltzingbear

Platinum Blonde

Posts: 1,238 Member Since:16/07/2012

#13 [url]

Jun 24 14 1:32 PM

Resolution's May / June issue covered this topic recently.

DAWs that are currently known to support ISRC-BWF are Sadie, Sequoia, Pyramix, Wavelab and Sonic Studio.

Its just being formulated as a standard and it will take some time to be included into your favorite editor.

Cheers
Alan

I think this is only letting me write as a quote, weird

Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

Quote    Reply   
avatar

resolectric

Gold Finger

Posts: 645 Member Since:26/01/2011

#14 [url]

Jun 24 14 3:16 PM

Sorry for the shaky image but i was holding the camera (cell phone) with one hand while creating a ISRC embeded WAV file with the other. In real time... tough.
Also, excuse me for my faulty english accent but it's been a long time since i last spoke it.


Last Edited By: resolectric Jun 24 14 3:19 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

biigniick

Silverado

Posts: 157 Member Since:16/02/2011

#16 [url]

Jun 24 14 10:53 PM

ruairi wrote:
So I've read and reread the thread and some elsewhere, still unsure. Does the Sonoris App put the ISRC code in the "right" place?

yes, it seems to.  here are my findings
00002c0: 0000 413d 5043 4d2c 463d 3434 3130 302c  ..A=PCM,F=44100,
00002d0: 573d 3234 2c4d 3d73 7465 7265 6f2c 543d  W=24,M=stereo,T=
00002e0: 536f 6e6f 7269 7320 4953 5243 2045 6469  Sonoris ISRC Edi
00002f0: 746f 7200 6178 6d6c d003 0000 3c65 6275  tor.axml....ISRC:USABC14000
0000490: 3031 3c2f 6463 3a69 6465 6e74 6966 6965  0100004a0: 723e 3c2f 6562 7563 6f72 653a 6964 656e  r>00004b0: 7469 6669 6572 3e3c 2f65 6275 636f 7265  tifier>00004c0: 3a63 6f72 654d 6574 6164 6174 613e 3c2f  :coreMetadata>
00004d0: 6562 7563 6f72 653a 6562 7543 6f72 654d  ebucore:ebuCoreM
00004e0: 6169 6e3e 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000  ain>............

here is a little easier to read...

..A=PCM,F=44100,W=24,M=stereo,T=Sonoris ISRC Editor.axml....

 
   
      ISRC:USABC1400001
   
 
............


looks right to me :-)

​ -nick
 

Quote    Reply   
avatar

resolectric

Gold Finger

Posts: 645 Member Since:26/01/2011

#20 [url]

Jun 25 14 4:14 AM

compasspnt wrote:
Voce fala bem, obrigado!


`

Thanks Terry! Obrigado!

If i did a two hour video the accent would improve a lot!
It was much better in the past, as an ham-radio op i was speaking in english everyday, for hours.
Now it's mostly read and write.

Oh well, the video wasn't important anyway.

Take care, Terry.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help