avatar

johnwhynot

Aqua Marine

Posts: 4,937 Member Since:22/01/2011

#81 [url]

Apr 6 12 6:51 PM

High-pass works well if the singer doesn't completely bottom out the mikeyphone.

In that case, my solution has been to have a nearby dynamic on a separate track, just for that phoneme.

Only necessary with terrible p-poppers who actually create midrange pops.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

darin k

Gold Finger

Posts: 902 Member Since:26/01/2011

#85 [url]

Dec 9 14 6:18 PM

Anyone have any experience with the Windtech Popgard? It's a dual-layer metal mesh thingy that attaches directly to the mic with rubber bands. http://www.windtech.tv/Pop_Gard.php

Also, has anyone tried the Rycote Invision Pop Filter? I know it's been mentioned here before - basically an oval piece of stiff open cell foam. I've seen one, and it makes a audible sound when you Purposefully PoP directly into it from very close as the forward-moving pop is dissipated into sideways-moving wind, but from a slight distance that's not a problem. I haven't used one on a session yet. http://www.rycote.com/products/shock-mounts-suspension/invision-studio/invision-universal-pop-filter/

Darin K.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

duskb

Platinum Blonde

Posts: 2,236 Member Since:07/07/2011

#86 [url]

Dec 9 14 6:46 PM

I dunno, judging from the Freq. Specs that was posted in another thread, singing through anything but a windscreen is a recipe for messing your tone up. I'm unsure how this would be any different.

----
Dusk Bennett
Engineering/Production/Educator
Los Angeles Ca
Award Winning Engineering
www.duskbennett.com

Quote    Reply   
avatar

hank alrich

Platinum Blonde

Posts: 1,742 Member Since:28/01/2011

#87 [url]

Dec 9 14 11:53 PM

duskb wrote:
I dunno, judging from the Freq. Specs that was posted in another thread, singing through anything but a windscreen is a recipe for messing your tone up. I'm unsure how this would be any different.

The toilet paper could be useful in other applications where you'd not want to use a windscreen.

hank alrich
http://hankandshaidrimusic.com/
http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic

Quote    Reply   
avatar

panman

Gold Finger

Posts: 532 Member Since:04/02/2011

#88 [url]

Dec 10 14 8:38 AM

Well, that tissue paper in front of Lee Hazelwood certainly was not for the looks and it worked too. And yet I can`t help wondering what Sinatra would have said, if you would have put toilet paper in front of the mic he was supposed to sing to.

Esa Tervala

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Mickeyrouse

Silverado

Posts: 131 Member Since:05/11/2015

#90 [url]

Jan 9 16 10:09 PM

Interesting photo of Sinatra in the book " Temples of Sound" of him at Capitol in the 50's singing into a U47 with an improvised screen that appears to be nylon stocking.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

maarvold

Aqua Marine

Posts: 3,093 Member Since:23/01/2011

#91 [url]

Jan 11 16 8:42 PM

Mickeyrouse wrote:
Interesting photo of Sinatra in the book " Temples of Sound" of him at Capitol in the 50's singing into a U47 with an improvised screen that appears to be nylon stocking.

 
There's a picture in the Capitol hallway of Deano with a loose-fitting (silk?) stocking aver a frame that looks like it could be made of bent coathangers.  Making my own is on the 'to do' list.  Silk stockings are expensive though.  

Quote    Reply   
avatar

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

Posts: 21,178 Member Since:08/01/2011

#92 [url]

Jan 11 16 9:37 PM


People started DIYing them with bent coathangers and stockings.

Then went to wooden crochet hoops and stockings.

Then the trouble began,,,


We used to tell the male singers that the stockings were from Stevie Nicks or Sophia Lauren or some other gorgeous woman, just to get them into it.

Gibbons brought in some super dark ones once that came from a ghetto area store, with a huge woman on the label.

/


Quote    Reply   
avatar

extrememixing

Platinum Blonde

Posts: 2,310 Member Since:02/02/2011

#94 [url]

Jan 12 16 11:44 AM

I know that it's probably an unpopular (pun intended) thing to do, but I just bought one of these. http://thehookstudios.com/filters.html

It's the best design I've ever seen. Straps directly to the mic with Velcro and uses stainless steel mesh for the one I bought. Low profile so it's easy to read the lyrics. It does a good job on pops.

Steve

Quote    Reply   
avatar

klaus

Gold Finger

Posts: 387 Member Since:19/02/2012

#95 [url]

Jan 12 16 12:42 PM

There are two main (and one minor) reasons to use a pop screen.


1. to reduce explosives which bottom out the capsule diaphragm

2. to reduce or eliminate spit contamination of the diaphragm

3. to keep a singer at a specific minimum distance from the microphone

 Item number two is not served well by any of the metal pop screens on the market (and I think I know of what I speak, because I always inquire if, and what type of pop screen was used when I do capsule restoration/spit de-contamination work for clients): Aside of the fact that almost all metal screens have acoustic resonance, the mesh or hole density in these screens is too coarse to capture spit mist effectively. 

That is why nylon threads of pantyhose material are so effective in filtering airborne contaminants, yet passing audio at a still acceptable level of transparency: the opening between layers of material can be made much smaller because the material is so thin.

Bottom line: whether home-made or commercially acquired, a dual-layer of nylon hose material is still the best popper stopper compromise between complete filtering and transparency

Quote    Reply   
avatar

spiritwalker

Aqua Marine

Posts: 3,663 Member Since:14/02/2011

#97 [url]

Jan 12 16 6:41 PM

compasspnt wrote:


We used to tell the male singers that the stockings were from Stevie Nicks or Sophia Lauren or some other gorgeous woman, just to get them into it.

 

I used to make my own out of coat hangers/wood hoops and nylons as well. Only I used to say that the nylons were from one of our street people in order to keep the punk vocalists back from the mic. Worked every time. The only problem I ever had was with a punk band where the vocalist ripped the top of the foam windscreen off a SM57 with his teeth. All I could think of was thank goodness I didn't give this kid any of my good mics.

I rarely use a pop screen now for my vocals, thanks to this forum for that tip.

OK it's cold here

Quote    Reply   
avatar

maarvold

Aqua Marine

Posts: 3,093 Member Since:23/01/2011

#98 [url]

Jan 12 16 8:50 PM

spiritwalker wrote:


I rarely use a pop screen now for my vocals, thanks to this forum for that tip.

 
I've said it before and I'll say it again: THANKS to JJ Blair.  Several years ago he posted some audio files of him singing into a mic with maybe 7 or 8 popular modern pop filters and 1 file with no filter.  Since I heard how damaging they were to the naturalness of the vocal sound, I modified the way I mic singers and now avoid using them around 96% of the time.  BTW, iZotope RX5 has an excellent Plosive Remover, which I only occasionally have to use (maybe 3 times in a tune typically).  

Quote    Reply   
avatar

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

Posts: 4,110 Member Since:23/10/2013

#99 [url]

Jan 13 16 12:21 AM

Even though I usually use no pop stopper, positioning the mic above or below someone's mouth, and use foam windscreen for when someone really needs to eat it or can't be trusted....

...I can't help but think that there is a little coffee strainer, that is a hoop and wood handle, with cotton cloth attached, often sold in latin food markets for under two bucks. That and some nylons would be a sharp looking DIY for that style pop stopper.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

extrememixing

Platinum Blonde

Posts: 2,310 Member Since:02/02/2011

#100 [url]

Jan 13 16 2:19 AM

klaus wrote:
There are two main (and one minor) reasons to use a pop screen.

1. to reduce explosives which bottom out the capsule diaphragm

2. to reduce or eliminate spit contamination of the diaphragm

3. to keep a singer at a specific minimum distance from the microphone

 Item number two is not served well by any of the metal pop screens on the market (and I think I know of what I speak, because I always inquire if, and what type of pop screen was used when I do capsule restoration/spit de-contamination work for clients): Aside of the fact that almost all metal screens have acoustic resonance, the mesh or hole density in these screens is too coarse to capture spit mist effectively. 

That is why nylon threads of pantyhose material are so effective in filtering airborne contaminants, yet passing audio at a still acceptable level of transparency: the opening between layers of material can be made much smaller because the material is so thin.

Bottom line: whether home-made or commercially acquired, a dual-layer of nylon hose material is still the best popper stopper compromise between complete filtering and transparency
These are not like the Steadman or any other metal screen that I've seen.  It's more like a metal fabric.  Very fine.  It's curved and though it does fit close to the mic, I don't let the singer get that close to my microphone.  I didn't think anyone here would like it, and I'm okay with that.

I have a couple of homemade stocking filters that have served me well over the years.  I don't use any of them every time.  But in some cases I'm astonished how much air a singer can pass with a P.  I'll use this a few times and see how it goes!  If it's as bad as you say, It will quickly fade from use.  I'v used it twice with good results.

Steve

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help