avatar

Mike Rivers

Aqua Marine

Posts: 2,525 Member Since:13/10/2012

#41 [url]

Feb 21 17 7:29 AM

harland wrote:
"You should know the difference between an acronym and an initialism.

[An acronym] Needs to be pronounceable as a word being a key point. And so it does - rhymes with raw. Those of you who have abandoned your ATR and set up a DAW should also make the move to the easier, faster, more efficient and commonly accepted pronunciation of your new and improved recording device. Nuff said??? ( now admit it - you read that as daw and not as digital audio workstation, didn't you?) :)..
 


[A]
[C]ontrived
[R]eduction
[O]f
[N]omenclature
[Y]ielding
[M]nemonics


Just because DAW can be pronounced doesn't mean I have to pronounce it. However, to be fair to the shortening of the phrase "digital audio workstation," when searching the web for "daw," you have to go pretty far down the list before you get past "digital audio workstation" in order to find anything else, in this case, a shortening of the "jackdaw," a bird.
https://www.britannica.com/animal/jackdaw

 



For a good time, call mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Mike Rivers

Aqua Marine

Posts: 2,525 Member Since:13/10/2012

#42 [url]

Feb 21 17 7:34 AM

zakco wrote:
Yes...GUI...pronounced "Jewey".  In case it wasn't obvious, my outrage was in jest...


Most who pronounce it say "gooey." But the G in GUI represents another abbreviation, GIF, which some people insist should be pronounced "jiff," which suggests that "graphic" should be pronounced "jirraffic."



For a good time, call mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Quote    Reply   
avatar

trock.lucasmicrophone

Gold Finger

Posts: 358 Member Since:11/10/2013

#43 [url]

Feb 21 17 9:17 AM

yes TAD!

i think this is a parody but .....

there have been ones who show up here and there and do this. on the GS forum, cant remember his name either, he had the whole board in an uproar for a long time. also another "Paul Stanley" with a ridiculaous avatar of Paul.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

zakco

Platinum Blonde

Posts: 1,099 Member Since:02/03/2011

#45 [url]

Feb 21 17 11:36 AM

mikerivers wrote:
zakco wrote:
Yes...GUI...pronounced "Jewey".  In case it wasn't obvious, my outrage was in jest...


Most who pronounce it say "gooey." But the G in GUI represents another abbreviation, GIF, which some people insist should be pronounced "jiff," which suggests that "graphic" should be pronounced "jirraffic."
Or Girraffic. As in "Girraffic Park".

Of course, let's not leave out the delicious GUI Duck:

800px-Geoduck_held_in_two_hands.jpg



Last Edited By: zakco Feb 21 17 11:38 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

tb av

Platinum Blonde

Posts: 1,155 Member Since:24/04/2011

#46 [url]

Feb 21 17 12:09 PM

mikerivers wrote:

zakco wrote:
Yes...GUI...pronounced "Jewey".  In case it wasn't obvious, my outrage was in jest...


Most who pronounce it say "gooey." But the G in GUI represents another abbreviation, GIF, which some people insist should be pronounced "jiff," which suggests that "graphic" should be pronounced "jirraffic."

I think that guy in the vid was trying to put a French spin on it. Rhymes with oui or g+oiu.

Last Edited By: tb av Feb 21 17 9:22 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

weedywet

Ruby Baby

Posts: 5,949 Member Since:20/01/2011

#47 [url]

Feb 21 17 1:19 PM

Jraffic park?

I'm not sure the pronunciation of the word has to determine the pronunciation of the acronym

you have the rule book citation handy?

if that were ture then JPEG would be pronounced JayFEG
(like photographic)

Last Edited By: weedywet Feb 21 17 1:25 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

tb av

Platinum Blonde

Posts: 1,155 Member Since:24/04/2011

#48 [url]

Feb 21 17 1:32 PM

The word has to sound cool. That's in the latest addenda to the rule book. You can find the PeeDif on the Three Dubyas

Quote    Reply   
avatar

extrememixing

Platinum Blonde

Posts: 2,340 Member Since:02/02/2011

#49 [url]

Feb 21 17 4:06 PM

weedywet wrote:
Jraffic park?

I'm not sure the pronunciation of the word has to determine the pronunciation of the acronym

you have the rule book citation handy?

if that were ture then JPEG would be pronounced JayFEG
(like photographic)
Cool!!!  Like Amfex (AMPEX)?  And I would be Steve SheFerd, not Shepherd.  There aren't many works with the ph that don't sound as an F.  But there are a few.

I think you're right.  There are no rules.  It's what ever catches on.  It's LED bulbs for me.  I don't have any deep feeling about DAW versus Daw.

Steve

Quote    Reply   
avatar

tb av

Platinum Blonde

Posts: 1,155 Member Since:24/04/2011

#50 [url]

Feb 21 17 4:32 PM

Why is anyone concerned about ph in the word JPEG? Joined Pinpoints Existing Graphic The reason is meets the cool factor is because it's also named after two Steely Dan tunes... Josie and Peg.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Mike Rivers

Aqua Marine

Posts: 2,525 Member Since:13/10/2012

#51 [url]

Feb 21 17 8:22 PM

tb av wrote:
Why is anyone concerned about ph in the word JPEG? Joined Pinpoints Existing Graphic

 


It's because JPEG stands for Joint PHotographic Experts Group.
extrememixing wrote
Cool!!!  Like Amfex (AMPEX)?


Ampex comes from Alexander M. Poniatoff EXcellence.  Mrl A. M. P. was the founder of the company.



For a good time, call mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Quote    Reply   
avatar

tb av

Platinum Blonde

Posts: 1,155 Member Since:24/04/2011

#52 [url]

Feb 21 17 9:22 PM

mikerivers wrote:
It's because JPEG stands for Joint PHotographic Experts Group.

"Surely you can't be serious."

Last Edited By: tb av Feb 22 17 8:53 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

seth

Ruby Baby

Posts: 5,618 Member Since:26/01/2011

#55 [url]

Feb 22 17 8:38 AM

zmix wrote:
I'm not a fan of hearing "Ayy-see-boo" when someone is talking about "AES/EBU"

Wow, people actually say that? That's a new one on me. I think it's just how things roll off the tongue pleasingly. No one says Fibby for FBI, though recent events might warrant it. I rarely use "DAW", but when I do I usually saw it as a word. To me DAW implies a dedicated system like a Radar or Dyaxis (remember them?) rather than software running on a computer that also does other things.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

seth

Ruby Baby

Posts: 5,618 Member Since:26/01/2011

#57 [url]

Feb 22 17 10:49 AM

jaykadis wrote:
Certainly remember the Dyaxis - we had two and provided some of the talent that developed it.

I remember how amazing I though it was the first time I saw one, though I never spent any hands-on time with it. To me that's a D.A.W. To use that word with respect to an ordinary computer you make music with is kind of techno-grandiosity.
 

Quote    Reply   
avatar

weedywet

Ruby Baby

Posts: 5,949 Member Since:20/01/2011

#58 [url]

Feb 22 17 11:46 AM

seth wrote:

No one says Fibby for FBI, though recent events might warrant it. ...



points

and extra points for the double entendre of 'warrant'

Quote    Reply   
avatar

chrisj

Gold Finger

Posts: 981 Member Since:22/02/2011

#60 [url]

Feb 22 17 1:35 PM

Dawww is what you say when you see a cute baby thing that's mostly helpless for doing the tasks of grownups. Also, it's not miles away from 'D'oh!'

On the other hand, nobody calls a District Attorney a Daaa ;)

Chris Johnson, airwindows.com

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help