avatar

barry hufker

Diamond Forever

Posts: 11,995 Member Since:26/01/2011

#23 [url]

Mar 20 17 12:28 AM

owlander wrote:
He looked like a real character!, and, someone you didn't wanna mess with!

In St. Louis we all respected him for his accomplishments, but he was also known as a real character.  A long time ago, my former brother-in-law almost punched him out before realizing who he was.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

zmix

Aqua Marine

Posts: 3,986 Member Since:20/01/2011

#24 [url]

Mar 20 17 7:52 AM

barry hufker wrote:
owlander wrote:
He looked like a real character!, and, someone you didn't wanna mess with!

In St. Louis we all respected him for his accomplishments, but he was also known as a real character.  A long time ago, my former brother-in-law almost punched him out before realizing who he was.






Quote    Reply   
avatar

trock.lucasmicrophone

Gold Finger

Posts: 285 Member Since:11/10/2013

#25 [url]

Mar 20 17 8:01 AM

RIP Mr Berry, form someone who is very interested in the old delta blues he represents, to me at least, a direct link to those players, one of the last. Not only did so many cop their licks and songs, but Angus with the duck walk etc

Huge influences all on Rock and what we have today.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

Posts: 7,180 Member Since:04/02/2011

#26 [url]

Mar 20 17 8:21 AM

trock wrote:
RIP Mr Berry, form someone who is very interested in the old delta blues he represents, to me at least, a direct link to those players, one of the last. Not only did so many cop their licks and songs, but Angus with the duck walk etc

Huge influences all on Rock and what we have today.

Interesting that you should say that.

I also hear in many of his signature licks a direct link to Charlie Christian. Listen to "Solo Flight" and it seems quite apparent, to me, that CB was most likely QUITE aware of that record.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   
avatar

hank alrich

Platinum Blonde

Posts: 1,739 Member Since:28/01/2011

#27 [url]

Mar 20 17 11:06 AM

soapfoot wrote:

trock wrote:
RIP Mr Berry, form someone who is very interested in the old delta blues he represents, to me at least, a direct link to those players, one of the last. Not only did so many cop their licks and songs, but Angus with the duck walk etc

Huge influences all on Rock and what we have today.

Interesting that you should say that.

I also hear in many of his signature licks a direct link to Charlie Christian. Listen to "Solo Flight" and it seems quite apparent, to me, that CB was most likely QUITE aware of that record.

I've heard quite of few of Chuck's "signature guitar licks" come out of Louis Jordan's sax.

hank alrich
http://hankandshaidrimusic.com/
http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic

Quote    Reply   
avatar

chrisfargre

Silverado

Posts: 59 Member Since:13/12/2012

#29 [url]

Mar 20 17 11:59 PM

Maybe more obvious.. but clearly Chuck got some licks from T-Bone Walker. 
I also read his autobiography as a kid and it had a huge influence on me as I learned to play guitar.
The backbeat, lyrics and country influence are what sets his music apart for me.

I loved watching Chuck give Keith a hard time in Hail Hail Rock n Roll..  Keith never seemed to get the idea that the double stop starts from a bent position,
Though he did alright doing it his own way... No one likes getting schooled in front of a camera. Joey Spampinato and Steve Jordan make for a not too shabby rhythm section 
not to mention Johnnie Johnson



Chuck Berry & Keith Richards - Oh Carol by monelephant

Last Edited By: chrisfargre Mar 21 17 12:02 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

d gauss

Platinum Blonde

Posts: 1,243 Member Since:17/02/2011

#30 [url]

Mar 21 17 12:45 AM

see carl hogan from louis jordan below.  also, don't forget...chuck was a damn fine poet... as was jordan (well really more of a wordsmith) and hank williams.  so lyrically, it's jordan/hank williams.  vocally, nat king cole and louis jordan.  geetar, carl hogan, t-bone, tiny grimes, etc.  with much, as mentioned upthread, stolen from johhny johnson (whose band chuck overtook).  

[url]

 

Quote    Reply   
avatar

zmix

Aqua Marine

Posts: 3,986 Member Since:20/01/2011

#35 [url]

Mar 29 17 5:24 PM

Very nice performance with John Lennon in 1972. Chuck and Mike's comment about recorded music vs live performance is interesting:

Last Edited By: zmix Mar 29 17 5:48 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help