soapfoot

Ruby Baby

Lead

May 10 13 11:55 AM

Tags : :

Here are a few that I find very interesting. Some are cool, and some just historical curiosities. It's cool to hear these to hear what it was about the productions and performances of the later 'hit' versions that made them hits. Share your favorites!

"Midnight Plane to Houston" by Jim Weatherly, which Gladys of course made into a huge smash under a slightly different title and lyric.

"Keep Growing Strong" (later known as "Betcha By Golly Wow") by Connie Stevens

And my favorite, "Love On a Two-Way Street" by Lezli Valentine (to me, a better record than the Moments' hit on the same song)

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#6 [url]

May 10 13 7:04 PM

Original, and (IMO) still the best.  Most interesting quasi-baroque bridge that wasn't really represented on the famous Ventures version.

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#9 [url]

May 10 13 8:35 PM

Wow, I didn't realize that Bonnie Tyler ever did that, much less first.

By the way, Bonnie Tyler is my mom's maiden name. Ha.

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#10 [url]

May 10 13 8:38 PM

By the way, this seems related... a few weeks ago, I met a couple of very good musicians in their 30s whose background was primarily playing gospel in COGIC churches, and some secular R&B stuff and session work.

They both had always thought "Got To Get You Into My Life" was an "Earth, Wind and Fire song" and had never heard or even heard of the Beatles version!! amazing (to me).

Quote    Reply   

spiritwalker

Aqua Marine

#11 [url]

May 10 13 9:23 PM

And my favorite, "Love On a Two-Way Street" by Lezli Valentine (to me, a better record than the Moments' hit on the same song)[media]

-soapfoot

A version of this is on the new Boz Scaggs CD.

OK it's cold here

Quote    Reply   

barry hufker

Diamond Forever

#14 [url]

May 10 13 10:19 PM

I always thought Gladys Knight just ruined Jimmy's excellent song, his was so much better.
But he's very glad she did...

-compasspnt

Dear Lord that warble in his voice kills me to the point it is unbearable.  Midnight Train is almost a cartoon of a song but at least it's done well.

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#16 [url]

May 10 13 10:47 PM

Terry, that was definitely his sound back then - the bells, the chugging bass, the background vocals. I played on a bunch of records for him.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help