soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#221 [url]

Nov 24 15 6:41 PM

Do you remember who was in the rhythm section, Terry? For some reason it doesn't quite sound like Al and Dunn and Cropper to me, and there are of course three keyboards (piano, wurly, and Hammond).

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#222 [url]

Nov 24 15 7:04 PM

Oh my, I wouldn't remember exactly.

Pretty sure it's Al Jr. and Duck; I think there were two guitars, one Steve but not sure if the other was Bobby or someone else.

I think Booker may be on Wurli with Isaac on Hammond.

Horns would have been a standard motley crew prob including Wayne & Andrew, but maybe even still Packy at that time (he was back in Memphis then, and working for his Mom in the shop), maybe Ed Logan, James Mitchell, etc.

Quote    Reply   

fenris

Platinum Blonde

#223 [url]

Nov 24 15 10:58 PM

Sounds like Duck. I just watched "The Blues Brothers" and dug the combination of busy bass parts and minimal drum parts. Willie Hall plays like every extra note costs him a dollar. :D

I'm getting a weird glitch where YouTube videos play 1/2 step faster when they're embedded on the forum. Might be my soundcard.

Last Edited By: fenris Nov 24 15 11:01 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#224 [url]

Nov 24 15 11:32 PM

Willie was great, and a devout Al Jr. Disciple. I recorded Willie many many times.

He was a friend of Muhammad Ali's, and once introduced me to Ali…who jokingly hit me in the stomach! (Not too hard though, and it was an honour to be hit by The Greatest.)

Quote    Reply   

jimlongo

Gold Finger

#228 [url]

Jun 4 16 11:54 AM

on Nina Simone's "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" . . . 

soapfoot wrote:
I don't know how this one slipped my mind until now!

Always liked that version, it's gut-wrentching as is most of Nina's life.
Recently watched the doc "What Happened, Miss Simone?", check it out on Netflix if you haven't seen it.

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#230 [url]

Jul 1 16 12:36 PM

which is THE record of that song, to me, though I love Al (and many of the others who have covered it as well).

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#232 [url]

Jul 1 16 1:07 PM

Did the horns screw up the second 2/4 bar? It's a great record, though! Sounds like mass confusion after the third 2/4 measure, but it still works.

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#238 [url]

Jul 21 16 10:17 PM

ktownson wrote:
The most believable version of "Take Me To The River"

I heard somewhere-- maybe Terry can confirm or deny, because I don't remember where I heard it-- that Teenie Hodges earned more mechanical royalties from sales of Big Mouth Billy Bass than from any other record of that song.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

ktownson

Aqua Marine

#240 [url]

Jul 21 16 11:38 PM

That story about Hodges making more money off the toy is on the song's Wikipedia page.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_Me_to_the_River

Edit: I followed the citation to this article:

"When I first started with Pops, I prayed that God would let people hear my songs and like 'em," says Teenie Hodges. "I didn't pray for the money part until now." Back then, he explains ruefully, "I just got paid for the sessions. I hardly signed any contracts, and I didn't get any publishing rights until 'Take Me to the River.'" He sighs, then adds that after years of paperwork, he's managed to get some royalties reinstated. Yet, to date, his biggest payday hasn't come from a single Al Green session but from a novelty toy, a singing plastic fish called the Bigmouth Billy Bass, which belts out "Take Me to the River" on command.

http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/50-years-of-rock-and-roll/Content?oid=1114566

"Kerry fixed the stereo, and now it doesn't work." (My six-year-old sister)

Last Edited By: ktownson Jul 21 16 11:46 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help