soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#245 [url]

Sep 13 16 10:41 AM

The great Gwen McCrae had the first version of this record, and I never realized it. Brenda Lee had one come out shortly after, at almost exactly the same time, and Elvis's record followed shortly after.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#246 [url]

Sep 13 16 10:53 AM

and Brenda Lee's near-simultaneous release. Interesting that the harmonized distorted electric guitars (a very unusual feature in context, I think) are present on both recordings. That makes me think that idea must've been on a demo somewhere and was incorporated into both productions.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

d gauss

Platinum Blonde

#247 [url]

Sep 13 16 10:55 PM

sea cruise! thought this one would have been mentioned already but i guess not (unless my search sucked).   huey's voice was erased from the master of the original version and frankie's added for the "cover" version. only dif between the two versions as cleverly exemplified here (huey in one channel, frankie in other):

[url]

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#248 [url]

Nov 1 16 9:41 AM

Wild Thing

This song came on at a party last night and a producer friend pointed out how entirely weird the arrangement was, the more we paid attention the weirder it seemed, it has no groove, no backbeat, just that bizarre  "frontbeat" ...  I found the original and it has all those things...!!

...   ...

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#250 [url]

Jan 10 17 11:34 AM

It's interesting how so many times, the difference between an early version and a hit version, is that the hit is played a little quicker and more "kick ass".

Pretty hard to think of the opposite ever being true.

Quote    Reply   

d gauss

Platinum Blonde

#252 [url]

Jan 23 17 10:34 AM

gtoledo3 wrote:
It's interesting how so many times, the difference between an early version and a hit version, is that the hit is played a little quicker and more "kick ass".

[left]

[url=

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#253 [url]

Jan 23 17 10:42 AM

Hahaha.... my wording could have been better.

I didn't mean that a more kickass version automatically becomes the bigger hit, only that earlier "non hit" versions of hits are usually a little more dimed back, tend to be a little slower. I can think of a couple exceptions.

Funny. :-)

Quote    Reply   

waltzmastering

Platinum Blonde

#254 [url]

Jan 23 17 11:52 AM

zmix wrote:
This song came on at a party last night and a producer friend pointed out how entirely weird the arrangement was, the more we paid attention the weirder it seemed, it has no groove, no backbeat, just that bizarre  "frontbeat" ...  I found the original and it has all those things...!!

...   ...

[left]Always thought that song was a bit peculiar too,  ..but it got covered a lot.
Jeff Beck did a version of "Wild Thing" which is an out-take from the album Flash that he did in the mid 80's. 
Pretty sure it's Jeff singing.  Saw him perform it live a couple times.

[url]

Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#255 [url]

Jan 23 17 1:02 PM

d gauss wrote:
gtoledo3 wrote:

[left]

[url=

Love the major-minor BGVs.

Quote    Reply   

d gauss

Platinum Blonde

#256 [url]

Jan 23 17 1:36 PM

compasspnt wrote:

[url= Love the major-minor BGVs.[/url]

ha ha! besides being fast, that's what made me remember it!   i.e.  you posted gouldman's version of "heart full of soul,"  my brain goes "yardbirds," ,  then my brain goes "for your love"  (also gouldman penned),  which has the A major to minor change, then i think "the dickies!"

[/quote]

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#258 [url]

Jan 25 17 1:13 PM

gtoledo3 wrote:

Here's an example:

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#259 [url]

Jan 25 17 1:25 PM

Nice one!

I know there has to be more. From the moment I wrote that, I've had a feeling like there is another really good example of a hit coming from slowing something down, and/or making it less intense.

Vanilla Fudge's slow and ponderous version of "You Keep Me Hanging On" comes to mind, but they made it heavy, and the original was a hit... probably a bigger hit.

There is an XM radio station, Coffee Shop, I think. The vast majority of songs on it are low key, down tempo acoustic versions of songs. But I'm not sure any of those versions supersede the originals.

sidenote:

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help