seth

Ruby Baby

#49 [url]

May 15 13 8:56 AM

Badfinger did "Can't Live" before Nilsson? I always thought his was the original version. Live and learn...

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#52 [url]

May 15 13 10:51 AM

Great additions, William!

Of course "I Will Always Love You" was a #1 record the first time, too... but I guess you could say it was "less famous" to the general public than Whitney Houston's blockbuster version.

To that end, I'll go ahead and post this one (which I originally hadn't, since it achieved the same chart position as Janis's version).

I find this original version to be vastly cooler than Janis's (pretty cool) version.

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#54 [url]

May 15 13 11:57 AM

The Robert Hazzard "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" is one of the more interesting ones so far, I think.

I had never been acquainted with that original version. Wow!

It's really interesting how compelling it can be, and how much it can change the meaning of the song to simply deliver it with a female lead as opposed to a male lead. Aretha, of course, demonstrated this with her cover of "Respect."

Whoever had the idea to have Cyndi do this song... wow, that was a masterstroke. Really cool. It kind of takes on a new dimension simply by knowing that the original exists.

Quote    Reply   

malcolmboyce

Gold Finger

#60 [url]

May 15 13 10:51 PM

More Boz Scaggs related stuff, though it almost doesn't count since it's more or less the same band on his version too... :)  David Paich on lead vocal with Lisa Dalbello.   

Do demos count or are we already pushing the envelope too far?  Steve Porcaro...

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help