bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#181 [url]

Nov 26 14 12:47 AM

Thanks for clarifying the Logic issue because while I know that in addition to Pro Tools, other software that requires contiguous data have issues with Spotlight, I have never tested it with Logic.Because Logic is an Apple product, it may have built in corrections to deal with Spotlight.

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#183 [url]

Mar 11 15 6:47 AM

Incredible really. Glad it has helped out so many users. Thanks Bill.

I wish the spotlight instructions worked for my system but there seems to be no difference in performance when it is on or off when I try this. The numbers go down a little on the activity meter but I'm still having to up the buffer size to get her not to crash. Usually to around 128. 64 sometimes works and I can never do 32, the system just locks up or the audio start to squeal... a real nasty sound indeed. All this is with no plug ins running. Doesn't make a difference it. I have 1 track or 32 tracks armed.

So I can't figure it out. I've even tried turning off drop box. When you look at the activity meter PT's shows anywhere from around 30% to 46% (if I have 1 plug in open). 46% shouldn't crash pro tools but it does.

If you look at the activity meter nothing else is even hardly using the system, the next largest number is from the activity meter itself which sits around 5%.

Logic seems to have none of these issues. So I know it's something to do with Pro Tools itself.

I'm running a quad core Mac that's about 5 years old.

Last Edited By: silvertone Mar 11 15 6:49 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#185 [url]

Mar 12 15 11:45 AM

Thanks Bill. I only have 2 allocated. Have tried all sorts of ways with that as well, 1, 4, even 8 and nothing really changes so I just leave it on two.

Thanks again for trying Bill.

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#188 [url]

Mar 26 15 11:12 AM

I was just informed by a Logic programmer at Apple that Logic disables Spotlight during recording, and that they've been doing this since Spotlight was introduced.. clever people..!!!

Quote    Reply   

bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#189 [url]

Mar 26 15 12:30 PM

Wow, that could mean so many things. Either Apple has been withholding vital information from Avid for the express purpose of kneecapping its products, OR Avid knew about the flaw and has been using it to frustrate Native users and help force them into HD systems. I don't believe for a second that this was just a dumb over-site on someone's part.

Quote    Reply   

bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#191 [url]

Mar 26 15 3:04 PM

About a year ago I was notified that engineers at Avid wanted to talk to me about this, but I just didn't have the bandwidth to undertake that. It seemed at the time that they didn't have much insight into Spotlight.

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#192 [url]

Mar 28 15 4:42 PM

I wouldn't have shared my private conversation if I thought it was going to turn into a fingerpointing situation. Don't put me in a difficult spot, guys..!

I pointed out to the programmer that I do little recording on my system, 99% of my work is mixing, and that I have 48 input and 48 output streams running while mixing and I experience much better performance after disabling spotlight. He replied that Logic likely does not disable spotlight while "mixing".

Quote    Reply   

cgc

Gold Finger

#193 [url]

Mar 29 15 11:53 AM

So keep one scratch channel in record at all times in Logic for better performance?  

Apple mainly gets info from outside developers/manufacturers and shares precious little of it.  For example, the CoreAudio device latency info (converter and I/O buffer sizes, etc) that can be provided to any audio app was mainly designed by Apogee for Apple, yet Ableton and other DAWs don't seem to know that feature exists (or they don't care).  It should be automagic inside of CoreAudio, but I kind of suspect it has been used as a competitive edge for Apple in the past.  Of the many downsides to developing on Apple systems (and there are nearly countless ones) one of the worst is having to compete with Apple all the time.  You really are a second class citizen at best.  

One thing about Spotlight that even casual users must find frustrating is popping in a USB stick, copying a couple of files, and then not being able to remove the damned USB stick because the OS is indexing!  Surely, Apple would have backed off on such aggressive (not to mention totally worthless) indexing and caching schemes during internal testing, but it persists in 10.10. 

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#194 [url]

Mar 29 15 12:00 PM

Part of programming is not making assumptions about the state of the system. You take the time and monitor what's happening while the app is being used. It's just digidesign not doing their due diligence and taking lazy ways out. The way they address the CPU and using cores is pretty hokey too.

Quote    Reply   

bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#195 [url]

Mar 29 15 12:56 PM

Sorry Chuck. I don't mean to cause problems for you. But this has been a pretty intense issue, evidenced by 25,000 (!) views on the forum. If your buffer is large enough, and you have enough RAM, I guess Spotlight instantiation issues might be mitigated. But for most of us, it is a real PIA.

Quote    Reply   

mmcginnis

Silverado

#196 [url]

May 7 15 6:49 AM

It's been a while since I've read through this thread, so I don't rmember if this was posted?

Yesterday we were tracking in PT 10 on a 2012 Mac Pro. I'll have to ask him what operating system.

Anyway, everything was going along swimmingly and then the engineer didn't like how the screen was scrolling. The studio had it set so the cursor stayed in place and the waveform moved along behind it. He switched it to the cursor moving and the page jumping when the cursor got to the end of the screen.

We couldn't get :60 into a take without a CPU error/buffer under run. Switched it back and all was fine.

Perhaps we need more information on the setup or this has already been covered elsewhere, but I thought I'd mention it,

Michael McGinnis

www.mcginnisproductions.com

Quote    Reply   

extrememixing

Platinum Blonde

#197 [url]

May 25 15 11:50 AM

I think that type of scrolling is more cpu intensive than just the cursor scrolling and the page turning. I've never seen that be a reason for stopping the session. Maybe a restart was in order.

I will say that focusing on very short buffer settings can be the wrong approach. Many plug ins NEED the longer buffer to work properly. Melodyne and Auto Tune for sure. And software instruments. Slate Trigger, as well. If you're recording people playing, then you should print and make inactive the tracks that need the longer buffer. Then you can set the buffer to a lower value and be fine most of the time. Even turning off Spotlight will not help many plugs operate at 32 or 64 samples.

Steve

Quote    Reply   

zakco

Platinum Blonde

#198 [url]

May 25 15 12:26 PM

extrememixing wrote:
I will say that focusing on very short buffer settings can be the wrong approach. Many plug ins NEED the longer buffer to work properly. Melodyne and Auto Tune for sure. And software instruments. Slate Trigger, as well. If you're recording people playing, then you should print and make inactive the tracks that need the longer buffer. Then you can set the buffer to a lower value and be fine most of the time. Even turning off Spotlight will not help many plugs operate at 32 or 64 samples.

Steve

Isn't this exactly the reason for Pro Tools 11+ having separate buffers for playback vs recording on a track by track basis?

Quote    Reply   

bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#200 [url]

May 27 15 9:05 AM

Pro Tools 11 dual buffers work great as long as you don't drop a compressor on the input side. Keep the input side free of plug-ins and you can run 32 samples pretty consistently, which is great.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help