sausagemaker

Silverado

#201 [url]

May 28 15 9:14 PM

bill mueller wrote:
Pro Tools 11 dual buffers work great as long as you don't drop a compressor on the input side. Keep the input side free of plug-ins and you can run 32 samples pretty consistently, which is great.

Hi Bill,

Can you explain what yo mean here?

Thanks,
Steve

Quote    Reply   

bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#202 [url]

May 29 15 9:11 AM

Channels in record use the input buffer and channels playing back use the playback buffer. The playback buffer is dynamic and capable of adjusting to plug-in requirements without affecting latency. Not using plug-ins on the record channels enables low latency performance on the input buffer. I have an early 2008 2X2.8 Quad-core Zeon Mac Pro with only 6 GB of ram running PT 11, and I run 24 simultaneous channels of record at 32 samples latency all the time. I just don't drop plug-ins on my record channels and I use the Spotlight fix.

BTW, something else I have discovered, is relaunching (Force Quit) the Finder just before booting ProTools seems to stabilize the system even further. It makes sense to keep unrelated clutter out of that buffer.

Another good idea is to keep a desktop folder on your desktop and put your desktop files in there to keep the actual desktop buffer at a minimum of files. MACs have to search the desktop all the time and a lot of files really slows the machine down. I don't think this last issue affects Pro Tools performance while in Pro Tools, but it does slow everything else down.

Best, Bill

Last Edited By: bill mueller May 31 15 10:21 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

mmcginnis

Silverado

#204 [url]

May 30 15 9:47 AM

I'm on my phone so I'm not sure how to quote...sorry.

Steve,

Thanks for the info!

the odd thing was, the studio used the method I thought was more intensive, which was a stationary cursor and waveforms scrolling behind. But this was the method that DIDNT cause the under runs. Weird. 

As for plugins there really weren't any. A couple of 1 channel PT eqs acting as a sort of cross over for the bass DI/amp combo and the Leslie cabinet.

one way it worked and the other it didn't. Very strange indeed, lol!

Michael McGinnis

www.mcginnisproductions.com

Quote    Reply   

mmcginnis

Silverado

#206 [url]

May 30 15 5:16 PM

I have on my rig, yes. And it fixed any issues I was having. 

The studio I was working at was not aware of it, but once they switched the scrolling back, everything worked as normal. I told them about it, but with the system working again and a tight deadline, it seemed unnecessary to pursue it any further. 

Michael McGinnis

www.mcginnisproductions.com

Quote    Reply   

bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#207 [url]

May 31 15 10:20 AM

This thread is approaching 31,000 views! Wow. Who woulda thunk it. I still meet facilities and Pro Tools owners who have not visited the thread and implemented the Spotlight fix, but it is getting more rare all the time.

Quote    Reply   

pdetti

New Forum Friend

#208 [url]

Jun 13 15 12:11 PM

CPU spikes, error, then audio is garbled

This is happening a lot in PT11.3.1, runing around 45% in PT, quad core i7 Mac Mini with Fusion System Drive OSX 10.9.5, recording to USB3 flash drive/SSD.  It just spikes and error pops up saying remove plug ins etc.  Buffer is at 1024.  If I check Activity Monitor, PT is at 200% after the error and audio is crackling and garbled, have to quit PT and relaunch!  I did run the Spotlight fix and verified mdworker and mds were not showing up in Activity Monitor, but that didn't seem to help.  Any ideas of what else can be done?  Thanks!!

Quote    Reply   

bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#209 [url]

Jun 16 15 8:16 PM

pdetti, if this is a repeatable error, open Activity Monitor and then stress PT and watch for the culprit to pop up, in the same way I discovered Spotlight in the first place.

Quote    Reply   

bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#210 [url]

Aug 8 15 10:32 AM

Marking 37,000+ views. I didn't even know there were 37,000 people using Pro Tools on a Mac, much less needing help with crashing issues. Amazing, really.

Quote    Reply   

garytanin

New Forum Friend

#211 [url]

Sep 6 15 10:26 PM

SPOTLIGHT ON OFF SCRIPTS

Bill and Group -

I came up with a SPOTLIGHT ON and SPOTLIGHT OFF Scripts.

copy the code to Applescript editor compile and save as a Run Only  - Application

Once complied click on the app to perform either task - works perfect in OSX 10.7.5. 

For clarification: replace  YOUR_USERNAME with your login name on your computer
                        replace  YOUR_PASSWORD with your personal password for your login name

Thanks to all for the tip on SPOTLIGHT - Hope this helps automate the task for all.  

Gary T
Daystorm Music

--------------------------​----------------------------​----------------------------​----------------------------​----------------------------​----------------------------​----------------------------​-------------- 
Program     : SPOTLIGHT OFF
Version      : 1.0-- 
Date          : 09/07/15--
Written by  : Gary Tanin  

do shell script "sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist" user name "YOUR_USERNAME" password "YOUR_PASSWORD" with administrator privileges

--------------------------​----------------------------​----------------------------​----------------------------​----------------------------​----------------------------​----------------------------​--------------
Program     : SPOTLIGHT ON
Version      : 1.0--
Date          : 09/07/15--
Written by  : Gary Tanin  

do shell script "sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist" user name "YOUR_USERNAME" password "YOUR_PASSWORD"  with administrator privileges   

--------------------------​----------------------------​----------------------------​----------------------------​----------------------------​----------------------------​----------------------------​----------------

Last Edited By: garytanin Sep 7 15 8:53 PM. Edited 10 times.

Quote    Reply   

bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#216 [url]

Oct 16 15 9:39 AM

I'm going to use this thread for a moment of self promotion. My son Conor Brendan was on American Idol two times when he was very young and is a terrific song writer. I would very much appreciate your giving a listen to one of his songs and if you like the writing, to nominate him in the songwriter category in the Maryland Music Awards.

Here is the streaming song, Oh Eliza. Just click on it to stream it and then click the back button to come back here and vote.

www.easecd.com/OhEliza.mp3

Here is the page for the MD Music Awards.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MVJZGXG

Thanks!
Bill

Last Edited By: bill mueller Oct 16 15 9:41 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#219 [url]

May 12 16 5:03 PM

yes, I'm very curious as to how that fits in here, and whether that changes anything, as it would seem to. "Never turn your back on digital..."

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#220 [url]

May 12 16 7:03 PM

IMO/IME...

I wouldn't want to bet my life on it, but I think the Spotlight "problem" was only really applicable with the first OS or two that it came out on....and that it is more of a "problem" because of PT's inelegant memory management in the versions that were out at the time. Spotlight tries to fill up the void, using whatever CPU that other apps aren't using, but because of the particular (wrong) way that PT would try to hardwire memory, things would go sour.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help