strangeandbouncy

Platinum Blonde

#21 [url]

Jul 7 13 4:39 PM

Hi,

I use Logic 9.1.8 64 bit on an 8 core Mac running Os 10.6.8. I have been pretty happy with stability, but suffered occasional crashes of the 32 bit bridge that enables me to use some older plugins. It is not generally fatal, since you can normally reboot the 32 bit bridge safely.

Since using the Terminal "fix", I have had not one single crash. And that is over 2 weeks. This evening, I forgot to do the Terminal thing, and the 32 bit bridge crashed in 2 mins, and then again 2 mins later. Did the Terminal MacDoobery, and I have had 3 trouble-free hours.

Thanks so much for this. I am so very happy to be here!

ANdyP

Ruh Roh . . . . .

Quote    Reply   

bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#22 [url]

Jul 7 13 9:21 PM

Nate,

Two questions. How many processors do you have running PT and where is your cpu percentage set? I understand you need to be at 80% or less and you might try fewer or even one processor. Just a thought.

Oh and absolutely you need an Avid approved FW chip set in your pcie card, and you should never run your media drive on the same buss as your interface.

Bill

Quote    Reply   

natenajar

Gold Finger

#23 [url]

Jul 7 13 9:49 PM

Nate,Two questions. How many processors do you have running PT and where is your cpu percentage set? I understand you need to be at 80% or less and you might try fewer or even one processor. Just a thought. Oh and absolutely you need an Avid approved FW chip set in your pcie card, and you should never run your media drive on the same buss as your interface.Bill

-bill_mueller

I have tried every possible combination of processor numbers and CPU percentage.  It works best at 2 or less processors but still won't hold 32 samples... You can actually hear it drift until it pops and then a large latency appears.  

The only thing on the fw bus is the Orpheus.  Media drive is internal and separate from system and samples of course.  

But as I said, the new fw card (which has the avid approved ti chipset) achieves lower latency at the same settings than the built in fw on the Mac Pro.  

Quote    Reply   

technologyworks

Gold Finger

#25 [url]

Jul 9 13 3:47 AM

Note for Terry and other G5 Tiger users

I found Spotless to work very well under Tiger, but it has worked less and less well as the OS has moved to Snow leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion, even though there are specific versions of the program for each OS. On my G5 rig I used it to disable Spotlight indexing on the audio drives only, which meant it still worked on the system drive for finding documents etc. Of course, you can still use ⌘F to search for items, just not by content [which wont have been parsed and indexed]

I am currently still using Spotless on my 10.6.8 system running my PT9 HD3 rig, but I have not had good success with it on Mountain Lion, so I will start using the terminal scripts when I migrate to my HDX rig next month.

Digidesign did use to recommend disabling Spotlight indexing on Audio drives from a long time back, so it’s not an unknown issue. Perhaps there is a much greater overhead for some reason now we are on Mountain Lion.

Thanks for the scripts

Peter

Peter Beckmann

Technologyworks Mastering 

Quote    Reply   

bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#26 [url]

Jul 9 13 8:17 PM

Unfortunately for those running OS 10.4 Cocktail is not an answer. And more importantly, it appears that there are no other solutions for actually turning off Spotlight like our solution. I got the email below.

"Hello,

Thank you very much for your email. If you use Cocktail to disable indexing of a disk, mds and mdworker processes will still be running but the volume will not be indexed.

Unfortunately, Cocktail (Tiger Edition) for OS X 10.4 is no longer developed.

Regards,

Maintain"

Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#28 [url]

Jul 11 13 9:35 AM

Because this is an important sticky that will help many for years to come, I am deleting a couple of the recent posts that were a bit off topic.

Quote    Reply   

bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#30 [url]

Jul 11 13 2:28 PM

Jon,

Yes that is helpful. The OS 10.5 script is the same that Chris gave me, but the OS 10.4 and 10.8 scripts are different. The OS 10.5 script works with 10.8 but I will investigate whether this new 10.8 script is somehow better.

Thanks!

Bill

PS. Terry, this is yet another potential fix in addition to Chucks re-prioritizing script for OS 10.4.

Quote    Reply   

cgc

Gold Finger

#31 [url]

Jul 11 13 2:45 PM

10.5 is where launchd came in to play.  The 10.4 solution is to edit the good old unix conf file with a text editor and restart (and it will never, ever start again).  Killing mds using 'sudo killall mds' might knock out Spotlight until a reboot on 10.4 too.  I don't recall whether I edited the hostconfig file or ran the killall after login on 10.4 machines.  10.4 is probably the best OS Apple (or anyone) has ever released.

Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#32 [url]

Jul 11 13 4:34 PM

You know, I agree.  There are things in my newer OS's, all the way up to most recent 10.8.4, that just don't work as well, or as logically, as 10.4 did back in the olden days.

But on we go.

Quote    Reply   

wireline

Aqua Marine

#33 [url]

Jul 11 13 4:59 PM

You know, I agree.  There are things in my newer OS's, all the way up to most recent 10.8.4, that just don't work as well, or as logically, as 10.4 did back in the olden days.
But on we go.

-compasspnt

I'm finding that many of the 'advancements' incorporated in 'improved' operating systems are more of a hinder for what I really am needing (or just wanting?) them to do...specifically in the tasks pertaining to running a DAW, be it on PC, MAC, or just a proprietary...

Perhaps we should integrate this thread with the grumpy thread?  Would that appease everyone?  I hope not.

Ken Morgan

Please...Give It A Rest

Quote    Reply   

seesaw

Tin Man

#35 [url]

Jul 16 13 12:24 PM

I can't get the script to work for me.  I get the following message after I paste the script and enter my password.

launchctl: Error unloading: com.apple.metadata.mds

I am on OS10.8.4 and 2009 Macbook Pro.

I am not a computer guy, so any advice would be great.

Thanks guys.

Andy Meyer

Quote    Reply   

seesaw

Tin Man

#37 [url]

Jul 20 13 11:48 AM

After attempting to run the script again, it worked as advertised. My first day of mixing under this arrangement went very well. I have been having some issues with my new setup (PT 10.3 + Antelope Orion 32) but it ran smoothly.

I haven't looked at a before and after in my activity monitor or done any latency comparisons yet. Maybe after I finish mixing this record.

Thanks for the tip Bill!

Andy Meyer

Quote    Reply   

caseyrice

Gold Finger

#39 [url]

Jul 21 13 1:56 AM

I seem to recall on 10.3/10.4 doing a "sudo killall md*" to nuke spotlight processes. Will try it and see next time I fire up the Mix rig.

Casey Rice Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Quote    Reply   

cgc

Gold Finger

#40 [url]

Jul 21 13 11:55 AM

The killall did work on 10.4, but 10.5 and up have launchd which will constantly restart the process.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help