cgc

Gold Finger

#43 [url]

Jul 21 13 2:22 PM

Terry, killall mds needs to be done each boot on 10.4.  There is a config file that you can edit to turn off Spotlight permanently.  Edit /etc/hostconfig and make SPOTLIGHT=NO
The script removes Spotlight from the list of launchd processes to load and run and is the only way to remove it 10.5 and after.

Quote    Reply   

gregdixon

Gold Finger

#45 [url]

Aug 6 13 3:40 AM

Hi Bill, I've been meaning to say thanks for this info. Turning off Spotlight has definitely improved things.

Do I need Spotlight back on for anything? It's been off for the last month. The Mac is only used for audio. Running PT, using Bias Peak for authoring CDs and occasionally trying Reaper .

Quote    Reply   

bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#46 [url]

Aug 6 13 8:29 AM

Hey Greg,

You're welcome!
I turn Spotlight back on for a few minutes every few days just to let it do it's indexing thing. Frankly, I might be a bit obsessive as I have it on my audio machine too and have not done a search on that machine in weeks.

Since we are now above 1100 views, I kind of expected more activity on this thread. I guess little feedback is a good thing as I am more prone to receive reports of issues than reports of success. But if anyone has any new observations, problems or success stories, please let us know.

Quote    Reply   

precisionfreak

Silverado

#48 [url]

Aug 6 13 1:59 PM

The spotlight kill works great in the studio. On my MacBook running 10.6.3, killing spotlight seems to confuse PT as to where the preferences folder is located. It's as if you've started protools just after trashing the preferences. I got bit a little bit in that the 'automatic copy files on import' box was unchecked. Running the script after PT is open works fine.

Quote    Reply   

berolzheimer

Aqua Marine

#50 [url]

Aug 11 13 2:25 PM

I have Spotless, and it is running, and it says that Spotlight is NOT running, but I think it is, and get occasional "lockup" crashes.

-compasspnt

I tried Spotless too, thought it would be better named "Useless".

Quote    Reply   

#53 [url]

Aug 14 13 9:21 PM

Well, I never messed around in Terminal before but I will try the above tomorrow. Hopefull it will end the daily PT crashes.

"Real People, Real Performances."

Quote    Reply   

bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#54 [url]

Aug 15 13 8:02 AM

Great Gio,

Please let us know how it goes. Also, I'm interested in the internal PT indexing as described above. I think it might be best to load the session and only then to open Terminal and shut off Spotlight.

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

Aug 15 13 2:01 PM

So far no love. OS10.4.

I did the SPOTLIGHT=-NO- thing, followed by 'mdutil -i off' and then restart. After about 20min, PT got hung up, forced to hard shutdown.

I'm willing to bet either I did something wrong, or that this is not the problem.

I do have a 5lb lump hammer though..... ;)

Quote    Reply   

precisionfreak

Silverado

#57 [url]

Aug 15 13 3:28 PM

Ah, so I wonder if opening PT first and then killing spotlight might work better? Was this on a fresh session?

-bill_mueller

This is on every session.

Having spotlight running when I start PT fixes it.

After PT startup, I kill spotlight, and everything works great.

No big deal.

Quote    Reply   

cgc

Gold Finger

#59 [url]

Aug 15 13 8:12 PM

So far no love. OS10.4.I did the SPOTLIGHT=-NO- thing, followed by 'mdutil -i off' and then restart. After about 20min, PT got hung up, forced to hard shutdown. I'm willing to bet either I did something wrong, or that this is not the problem. I do have a 5lb lump hammer though..... ;)

-gio

It's not likely the problem.  No other process can hang another unless they are linked via a library or IPC.  Simply taking CPU time won't cause a crash.

There are a couple of other people on 10.4 who have freezes.  Can you post the PT, OS, machine and video card info?  Maybe some common element will appear.

Quote    Reply   

#60 [url]

Aug 15 13 8:50 PM

Ok, I can post specifics once I'm back in the space, though I'd rather not hijack this thread with my particular issue.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help