bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#61 [url]

Aug 15 13 10:32 PM

Don't worry, post away. If we come up empty of more useful info for the group I can always delete some posts. For now, this is where we should discuss the issue.

Quote    Reply   

#63 [url]

Aug 16 13 11:19 AM

This is a G4 MDD (mirror drive doors) Dual 1Ghz running OS10.4.9, 2G RAM. Video card is ATI Radion 9000.
PTLE .7.3

"Real People, Real Performances."

Quote    Reply   

caseyrice

Gold Finger

#64 [url]

Aug 17 13 10:51 PM

if you would like to sure Spotlight is off, run this in Terminal.app:

mdutil -s

which will return:

"Spotlight server is disabled."

if Spotlight is off.  on my machine it returns nothing when it is running.

edit:  on 10.6

Casey Rice Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Quote    Reply   

davidt

New Forum Friend

#65 [url]

Sep 1 13 4:22 PM

Hi Bill, thanks for this informative post. I've created a simple script to manage Spotlight based on your post. 

The script can be downloaded here 

David Teren re:audio (Regarding Audio) www.facebook.com/reaudio Coming soon: a variety of audio/file tools.

Quote    Reply   

davidt

New Forum Friend

#66 [url]

Sep 2 13 2:59 AM

Hi Bill, thanks for this informative post. I've created a simple script to manage Spotlight based on your post. The script can be downloaded here 

-davidt

Here's an updated version of DarkSpotVersion 1.0.2 no longer opens Terminal and asks for your admin password in advance making the process slicker.

Download: DarkSpot ver1.0.2 

David Teren re:audio (Regarding Audio) www.facebook.com/reaudio Coming soon: a variety of audio/file tools.

Quote    Reply   

markdub

New Forum Friend

#67 [url]

Sep 7 13 2:12 PM

Many thanks for this Bill, though I've yet to try it out with my DAW. Running Logic Pro X but I imagine the same applies. Activity monitor definitely shows both these 2 processes are not running after doing it.

One thing I wanted to check, sorry if it's already been mentioned. I got a warning when I first entered the line in Terminal which said something about the fact that using sudo could cause important system files to be deleted. Is that just a generic warning and can I safely ignore it? It only came up the once so Ican't quote it exactly.

Thanks. 

Quote    Reply   

markdub

New Forum Friend

#69 [url]

Sep 7 13 3:50 PM

Copied and pasted. I just tried a re-boot to see if I could get the warning to come up again but it won't. Any way I can clear Terminal's 'memory' so that I get it again? If I do I'll post a screenshot of what comes up.

Thanks for your reply.

Quote    Reply   

markdub

New Forum Friend

#71 [url]

Sep 7 13 3:56 PM

Here's what the warning looks like, copied from a thread I found somewhere else.

$ sudo apachectl start

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Quote    Reply   

bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#72 [url]

Sep 7 13 4:21 PM

You must have not copied the entire line when you pasted. And I agree. Be careful when using sudo command. That is why we provided the script in the form that we did in the OP.

Quote    Reply   

markdub

New Forum Friend

#73 [url]

Sep 7 13 5:18 PM

Okay, thanks. I did copy the scripts directly from the OP and pasted them into a Note, as you suggested doing for easy access. Then I simply copied the first one from the Note and pasted it into Terminal. I am pretty sure I did it correctly. In the example above, obviously the command is different but the warning was worded exactly the same. 

Sorry for posting the warning as well as the link to the thread which has the same thing; when I tried to post the message with the link in it, it looked like it wasn't going to go through. Please feel free to delete one of them if need be.

Quote    Reply   

wireline

Aqua Marine

#79 [url]

Sep 9 13 3:10 PM

This stuff seems to work.  Been tracking quite a bit today in PT10 junior light easy bake version for a client re-starting a project left behind last year (long story)... anyhow, everything at 24/48K, and while I'm doing most of the project at my pace and having him come in for vocals when it's all ready, have had time to experiment.

With each tune's drums already laid down, EQ, comp, and pan applied ITB, bass and sc gtr/vox/key tracks down, I've been laying down chicken pickin gtrs, acoustics, mando, whatever, plus re-doing bass lines.  Everything processing wise done ITB, and have been running 32 samples, with 20-30 bed tracks, most with some sort of processing.  System use shows CPU native12%, CPU clip 0 (would this even come on on a native?) and disc 9%...

Note this spotlight disabling feature also seems to work regardless of DAW?  Makes Reaper seem to run a LOT smoother, C7 as well...

I like this.

Ken Morgan

Please...Give It A Rest

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help