sean mcdonald

Silverado

#81 [url]

Sep 9 13 9:56 PM

Hi Bill,
Im late to the party, just finding this fix from your BB FB wall post.
Can you explain in simple "dude speak" what family of PT errors this fixes?

Ive always set my drives to private in Spotlight, but I gather your fix is better/ different?

thanks in advance!
Sean

Sean McDonald
Red Medicine Recording LLC
Sofa King Music Services
www.redmedicinerecording.com

Quote    Reply   

bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#82 [url]

Sep 9 13 10:46 PM

Hi Sean, when you set your drives to be private in Spotlight, it does not stop Spotlight from booting up every once in a while and grabbing CPU cycles. This causes CPU crashes in PT and the only answer before our Spotlight fix was to set your H/W  Buffer higher. If you are on a Native system that means you can't record at 32 samples and will have more latency than necessary. If you are on a hardware based system it doesn't change the latency but it does make the machine much more stable and allows you to use more plug-ins and processing. Be sure and follow the directions carefully and turn Spotlight off AFTER booting PT so you don't orphan your files.

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#83 [url]

Sep 11 13 5:26 PM

Be sure and follow the directions carefully and turn Spotlight off AFTER booting PT so you don't orphan your files.

-bill_mueller

After running the script in my system (10.6.8) spotlight is off and remains off even after a reboot. Is this likely to cause orphaned files?

Quote    Reply   

bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#84 [url]

Sep 11 13 6:06 PM

Yes. So far as I can tell, the workflow should be.

Boot the system. Boot PT. Turn off Spotlight. Do PT session. Close PT. Boot Spotlight. Allow indexing. Shut down. Rinse and repeat. This sounds like a lot but it's not.

Chuck, if you determine a better procedure please let us know.

Bill

Quote    Reply   

cgc

Gold Finger

#85 [url]

Sep 11 13 6:43 PM

After running the script in my system (10.6.8) spotlight is off and remains off even after a reboot. Is this likely to cause orphaned files?

-zmix

It shouldn't and I haven't seen it so far.  The filesystem and Spotlight are two different things.

Quote    Reply   

bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#86 [url]

Sep 11 13 7:09 PM

Really? I have had some orphaned files and blamed it on the fix. I will check that again but I have not seen any problems since I redid the sequence.

Quote    Reply   

cgc

Gold Finger

#87 [url]

Sep 11 13 7:33 PM

What do you mean by orphaned?  Orphaned nodes in a filesystem indicate damage to the filesystem DB - basically there are locations on the disk without entries into the DB or they aren't in the spot the DB says they are (or vice versa).  Running fsck in single boot will reveal those but the Finder won't say anything about them.

Some apps claim to remove 'orphan' files left behind when deleting or uninstalling applications.  That's not really a problem in any sense other than taking up room on the drive.

Quote    Reply   

bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#88 [url]

Sep 11 13 8:20 PM

Maybe I'm using the wrong term. I had PT unable to link files to a session that I did when Spotlight was turned off before PT was booted.

If you go to the top of page 4 you can see that Jason had the same issue.

FWIW, relinking the files was no biggie, but it needed to be done.

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#89 [url]

Sep 11 13 11:30 PM

The nomenclature had me confused.  Orphan files have been a problem for me, but are usually the result of beta or even alpha installers losing track of something or altering permissions.  Typically I repair this by booting from another drive and running the Disk Utility on my system drive.

I wish there was an Apple OS expert here to clarify what potential issues may result from disabling spotlight.  

I would speculate that Spotlight is a separate system than the FAT or OSX Journaling, and shouldn't affect a program's ability to locate a file.

Quote    Reply   

organica

Gold Finger

#90 [url]

Sep 12 13 12:11 AM

Thanks for the information here. 
<I wish there was an Apple OS expert here to clarify what potential issues may result from disabling spotlight.>

I dont know what the issues potentially are BUT one such expert told me just yesterday that the lines which Bill presented to copy/paste for turning it off/on,  contain nothing in them which will do any harm. Hope that helps,sir! 

Quote    Reply   

bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#92 [url]

Sep 14 13 8:06 AM

My session linking issues may not have had to do with the Spotlight fix either. I'm just trying to be on the safe side since there are a lot of folks trying this solution at the moment. I posted it on my FB page and we have had 1700 visits to the thread in two weeks.

Quote    Reply   

bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#93 [url]

Sep 14 13 2:32 PM

That is why we have a script to copy and paste and don't encourage anyone to just type away into the Terminal unless they know what they are doing.

Quote    Reply   

cgc

Gold Finger

#94 [url]

Sep 14 13 3:45 PM

Let's go over the commands posted in the OP just so people are clear what they do:

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist

1) sudo - this is the dangerous part because it allows the user to execute the commands following it as root.  The root or Super User account has no limitations on what can be done to a Unix system.  In general, it is a bad idea to run sudo based commands found on the internet if you don't know what they do.  The Apple boiler plate when you invoke sudo the first time is meant to scare you away from using it to limit the number of support incidents they have to handle.  sudo is vital to the proper use and administration of a Unix system.

2) launchctl - controls the settings for launchd which automatically starts and stops processes.  Typically, these processes are started during boot and stopped during shutdown, but this command can start or stop them.  launchd continually runs and checks to see if processes that should be running actually are, and will restart them if needed.

3) unload - this is a subcommand of launchctl that tells is to take the following process out of the list of processes that are to run while the computer is on.

4) -w - an argument to launchctl that overrides a previous setting so the unload is actually done.

5) /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist - the Unix path to the file that is unloaded.  The plist contains info about the mds process that launchctl uses to run it.  The file has a setting called 'Keep Alive' that means launchd will continuously check to see if mds is running and restart it if not.

Quote    Reply   

octafish

Silverado

#95 [url]

Sep 14 13 3:50 PM

Thanks for that, Chris. That nr. 5 was a complete mystery to me ...

(I have been using this command nonetheless, and I always forget to turn it on again ... takes days before I notice.)

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#96 [url]

Sep 15 13 9:01 AM

Let's go over the commands posted in the OP just so people are clear what they do:
sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist
1) sudo - this is the dangerous part because it allows the user to execute the commands following it as root.  The root or Super User account has no limitations on what can be done to a Unix system.  In general, it is a bad idea to run sudo based commands found on the internet if you don't know what they do.  The Apple boiler plate when you invoke sudo the first time is meant to scare you away from using it to limit the number of support incidents they have to handle.  sudo is vital to the proper use and administration of a Unix system.
2) launchctl - controls the settings for launchd which automatically starts and stops processes.  Typically, these processes are started during boot and stopped during shutdown, but this command can start or stop them.  launchd continually runs and checks to see if processes that should be running actually are, and will restart them if needed.
3) unload - this is a subcommand of launchctl that tells is to take the following process out of the list of processes that are to run while the computer is on.
4) -w - an argument to launchctl that overrides a previous setting so the unload is actually done.
5) /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist - the Unix path to the file that is unloaded.  The plist contains info about the mds process that launchctl uses to run it.  The file has a setting called 'Keep Alive' that means launchd will continuously check to see if mds is running and restart it if not.

-cgc

Thanks for going through this command string, Chris.

What happened to your post where you verified my speculation that Spotlight was separate from the file system and shouldn't affect a program's ability to locate files?   It says "hidden post - deleted" where it used to reside. What's going on here?

Quote    Reply   

bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#97 [url]

Sep 15 13 9:56 AM

Chuck,

We talked about it and because that post had a nuclear bomb script in it (it also had a warning not to use it) I asked Chris if he minded if we deleted it and he didn't. I can un hide it and repost the part you are talking about when I get back to the office.

Bill

Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#98 [url]

Sep 15 13 10:27 AM

Here it is, reposted:

From Chris (cgc):

"Spotlight indexes the content of files which is very different from what the HFS+ filesystem does.  The filesystem provides a database linking the files to physical locations on media and also abstracts that info into a form that is easily useable to programmers using standard filesystem calls like the fopen() command.

Anyone who is not comfortable with the Terminal or the commands for disabling/enabling Spotlight might want to refrain until they can learn about it.  Certainly it's possible to nuke your system..."

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#99 [url]

Sep 15 13 12:56 PM

Chuck,
We talked about it and because that post had a nuclear bomb script in it (it also had a warning not to use it) I asked Chris if he minded if we deleted it and he didn't. I can un hide it and repost the part you are talking about when I get back to the office.
Bill

-bill_mueller

I didn't realize! Whew...   send the all clear.

Quote    Reply   

bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#100 [url]

Sep 16 13 8:37 PM

This thread has more than 1900 views in two weeks. So far I have only received one PM that that the Spotlight fix didn't work for someone (with a post 10.4 system) and lots and lots of PMs and Facebook posts that it did work. Pretty cool so far.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help