compasspnt

Diamond Forever

Lead

Nov 19 13 10:36 AM

Tags : :

Simply.  The Best.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2011/02/28/134134763/the-telecaster-still-wailin-at-60

I contend it would now be 61.5 years old by name, I thought it was Feb '52 that the first one rolled out with the actual Telecaster (not Broadcaster, not "nothing") name on it.

BTW, In that article, Jimmy is wearing my jacket I sent him in the Yardbirds video!

Quote    Reply   

wireline

Aqua Marine

#1 [url]

Nov 19 13 10:49 AM

Couple of the videos are no longer available...but yea, if you can't get it done with a tele, it probably, ain't worth doing.

Cool jacket. Betting you still fit in it...

Ken Morgan

Please...Give It A Rest

Quote    Reply   

philgrab

Tin Man

#3 [url]

Nov 19 13 11:24 AM

I've been enjoying my 2011 60th anniversary for a couple of years now and in recent years the telecaster has definitely had a resurgence. I see Les Pauls and Strats in large numbers hanging on the walls of all the GCs here in LA but try to find a good tele, they go fast right now.

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#4 [url]

Nov 19 13 11:52 AM

My first "full size" guitar, a fairly man-handled '68 Tele:

...the routing and refinish was done prior to me. But, it turned out to be a good place for a humbucker.

It's real nice sounding, and the pickups from that era have a particular sound that seems more "rock".

Quote    Reply   

ssltech

Aqua Marine

#7 [url]

Nov 19 13 2:04 PM

weedywet
wireline
...but yea, if you can't get it done with a tele, it probably, ain't worth doing.

tell it to The Byrds

You sir... truly ARE mister incredible!

Quote    Reply   

wireline

Aqua Marine

#8 [url]

Nov 19 13 2:12 PM

ssltech
weedywet
wireline
...but yea, if you can't get it done with a tele, it probably, ain't worth doing.

tell it to The Byrds

You sir... truly ARE mister incredible!

He was just out on another bender

Ken Morgan

Please...Give It A Rest

Quote    Reply   

dominick

Gold Finger

#9 [url]

Nov 19 13 3:10 PM

Even this guy plays one.
A bender no less, but he doesn't seem to be using it.
Of course he doesn't even look like he's moving!

Dominick Costanzo

Quote    Reply   

wireline

Aqua Marine

#10 [url]

Nov 19 13 3:27 PM

Ham fisted hacks...

This has been a weapon of choice (off and on) for quite a while - Late 70s refin body, AllParts licensed soft v neck, Broadcaster in bridge, Duncan Vintage stack (only half connected) in middle, and a Musicman F100 in neck...  Glaser blend control (AKA Mason wiring),, does the twang meets bebop really well..

Sometimes I believe the telecaster is THE perfect instrument.As complex or simple as one wants, but never really gets away from its basic design concept.

Ken Morgan

Please...Give It A Rest

Quote    Reply   

Mike Rivers

Aqua Marine

#12 [url]

Nov 19 13 8:41 PM

compasspntI had to play a Strat for the BF4 shows, and it just isn't the same!

Why did you have to play the Strat? Stage prop?  I only know what I saw from the videos you posted, but with the big band arrangements and the dancing girls, the sound of your guitar was pretty much lost. Might as well have played what you're most comfortable playing. You don't look that much like Bobby Fuller anyway.

For a good time, call mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#14 [url]

Nov 20 13 2:30 AM

Tele.

I'm not sure whether popular music grew up around it, or whether it's just coincidentally so perfectly functional timbre-wise in post-1950 popular music, but it is so often just right.

I'm a pretty recent convert... I've had my '68 Telecaster for less than a year... but it's turned into my #1. So much just makes sense on a Tele.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

ktownson

Aqua Marine

#15 [url]

Nov 20 13 8:03 AM

Teles take a beating better than any other guitar I know. Scratches, dents, burns...just give them character. Strats to some degree, but beat up a Les Paul and it looks sad. Teles look better for the wear. And still sound good.

"Kerry fixed the stereo, and now it doesn't work." (My six-year-old sister)

Quote    Reply   

seedyunderbelly

Gold Finger

#17 [url]

Nov 20 13 8:56 AM

t

I feel Lucky to have jumped on the tele rather late my guitar playing game_ (5 years ago?) I know I have said it before but if you have the coin some of the stuff coming out of fenders custom shop is just great--
I have a real 59, a 65, and a couple new ones -- Electronics aside the new ones are all the way there if you like the slightly flatter radius. The amazing thing about the tele for me is IF you have a great deal of hand control it seems it can sound like nearly anything... I feel I can get both traditionally "gibson-esque" or "feender-ish" sounds as well as "tele" sounds Very responsive and not in an uncomfortable way that you have to 'fake' the guitar out like a strat.. The tele seems to do this wide variety of sounds inside its comfortable playing range--

I LOVE the feedback it gives you (not the howling kind) It can clean up your technique in the unique way it 'informs you' haha

regardless, Yes Love it

Last Edited By: compasspnt Nov 20 13 12:18 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

wireline

Aqua Marine

#19 [url]

Nov 20 13 9:10 AM

The most tweak-able guitars ever made, for sure... the littlest things can make a HUGE difference. I think I've tried, or at least heard of, 200 different mods.

Ken Morgan

Please...Give It A Rest

Quote    Reply   

technologyworks

Gold Finger

#20 [url]

Nov 20 13 9:23 AM

Excuse the poor photo but here is mine:

I was having my Strat refretted at Charlie Chandlers and saw this old second hand Tele for sale. Custom made of Schecter parts, early eighties I would guess, [like the ones Pete Townshend played for a while]
I played it, [unplugged] and it felt and sounded so good I ended up buying it. Beautiful maple neck, Kent Armstrong PUs with coil taps. I feel guilty sometimes playing it. I know my Strat knows I’m cheating on it...

Peter Beckmann

Technologyworks Mastering 

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help