gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#22 [url]

Nov 20 13 9:58 AM

Anyone ever use the rear pickup cover "ashtray" on theirs? :) It does look cool and classic car-esque, though horrible for playing.

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#23 [url]

Nov 20 13 10:53 AM

here's mine.

I had to trade the cleanest 1948 J45 I've ever seen to get it. But I already had a '44 Gibson SJ and no good Tele, so it had to be done.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

maarvold

Aqua Marine

#26 [url]

Nov 20 13 12:13 PM

ktownson

Teles take a beating better than any other guitar I know. Scratches, dents, burns...

I hope I'm remembering this story and the people involved correctly--it was told to me roughly 40 years ago.  I grew up in the same town as Jim Coryell--Larry Coryell's younger brother.  Larry, for whatever reason, had a Tele sitting in the back of a station wagon and out of the case... I think he was doing some work on it or changing strings; either way, the station wagon's tailgate was down.  There was some kind of emergency and Larry jumped in the car and floored it and the Tele went flying out of the back and skidded to a stop on the pavement.  After going through all that, it still worked and played well.  

Last Edited By: maarvold Nov 20 13 12:16 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

ktownson

Aqua Marine

#30 [url]

Nov 20 13 1:14 PM

An internet friend, Jeff Miller, built this one from scratch. Tiger Flame Maple, Korina back, his own custom heel cutaway. He can play the hell out of the thing, too. imageimage

"Kerry fixed the stereo, and now it doesn't work." (My six-year-old sister)

Quote    Reply   

jesse decarlo

Platinum Blonde

#31 [url]

Nov 20 13 2:41 PM

Partscaster assembled by yours truly.  Nice swamp ash body, but with thin maple veneer on top.  I figured there was no point in drilling holes for a pickguard - seems like the poly finish is just about as tough.

Quote    Reply   

duskb

Platinum Blonde

#32 [url]

Nov 20 13 4:10 PM

I'm embarrassed. No point in posting mine because its just your average candy apple red 90's model. We've all seen them a billion times. (It was either that or the Fat Tele).

But the pics you guys have posted makes me green with envy. Especially Brads.

----
Dusk Bennett
Engineering/Production/Educator
Los Angeles Ca
Award Winning Engineering
www.duskbennett.com

Quote    Reply   

andychamp

Gold Finger

#35 [url]

Nov 20 13 5:25 PM

Okay, that's it, you guys finally pushed me over the edge and I'm pulling the trigger on that '85 MIJ Rosewood!
I'll be damned if I know how to finance it, but even damneder if I don't make it happen.image

André Champaloux 

"The biggest question this thread has actually raised is: When do we start to serve the artist more than our insecurities?" - Fletcher

Quote    Reply   

steve hudson.lucasmicrophone

Tin Man

#37 [url]

Nov 20 13 9:02 PM

I passed on buying a 1950 Broadcaster (SN 0017) for $150 when I worked at a guitar shop in New Haven back in the mid-70s. I was 19 and didn't understand why a Tele would have the serial number stamped to the bridge plate. "The One That Got Away".

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#39 [url]

Nov 20 13 9:59 PM

that makes my heart hurt. Speaking of "the one that got away," my story isn't quite as dramatic, but still a bummer of a life lesson.

When I was in high school I had an '85 Honda Accord that I think I gave $2000 for... this would've been about '96 when I had just turned driving age. Later that year I saw up for sale a gorgeous '63 Strat in candyapple red... a factory refinish that had been done in the mid '60s, and it had been refretted. Nicely worn in.

The price was $1700. I mean hey, it was the '90s... the "vintage" guitars were the ones that had never been refinished or refretted (even old factory refins would slash the price in half).

It was an exceptional guitar... hindsight can make things seem better than they were, but I still feel like it was the best strat I've ever played. Several times a year I think about it and regret that I didn't flog that Honda, buy the guitar, and ride the damn bus.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

wireline

Aqua Marine

#40 [url]

Nov 20 13 10:55 PM

We don't want to get into those...although I did swap a  sea foam green strat for a bag of pot and a LesPaul Jr when I was in the 9th grade...

Back to Teles, please - I have seen some of the BEST playing and sounding counterfeits you can imagine...great until they got the spelling on the decals...Fedners, tellecasters, etc.

Ken Morgan

Please...Give It A Rest

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help