jlapointe

Silverado

Lead

Nov 29 13 7:34 AM

Tags : :

Asking for a client - has anyone here used Palomino Records Pressing in Kentucky?  I had not heard of them previously.  They claim to do metal parts in house too which surprised me.  Any experiences with them anyone?  Thanks! 

Last Edited By: compasspnt Jul 15 15 12:45 AM. Edited 3 times

Quote    Reply   

bob olhsson

Aqua Marine

#1 [url]

Nov 29 13 2:10 PM

jlapointeAsking for a client - has anyone here used Palomino Records Pressing in Kentucky?  I had not heard of them previously.  They claim to do metal parts in house too which surprised me.  Any experiences with them anyone?  Thanks! 

The pictures suggest that they must date back to at least the '50s so their plating operation has been grandfathered in from EPA requirements. A single press operation could easily not be very common knowledge.

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#2 [url]

Nov 29 13 2:20 PM

I may have the story a little wrong but I'll give it a shot. Palomino started out just pressing 7" for square dance callers and other country music. I think pressing 12" records is a recent addition. Sadly the owner died last year when the high pressure boiler exploded. I believe his son is running the place now. I don't have much experience with them. I think I've sent a couple of 7" there.

Last Edited By: compasspnt Nov 29 13 2:34 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

dcollins

Platinum Blonde

#4 [url]

Nov 30 13 3:28 PM

When we get test pressing on a project, probably 50% are rejected for some reason. Noisy, warped, off-center, you name it.

I think a sticky is in order of pressing plants that have given good results for the readers here.

Although, in retrospect, we always seem to get a decent pressing the second time, so I guess while a plant might be _capable_ of good work you might not get it unless you complain. I recently got some LP’S from Acoustic Sounds (Chad Kassem) that looked and sounded great, like the days of yore. I’ve talked to him a couple times at Hi-Fi shows and what he’s doing is very impressive.

DC

Quote    Reply   

tbethel

Gold Finger

#7 [url]

Dec 1 13 6:35 AM

GOTTA GROVE RECORDS http://gottagrooverecords.com/

This record pressing company, located in Cleveland, OH, is the best. They do excellent work, they are reasonably priced and deliver on time. Most of the vinyl mastering I do gets sent there. I would recommend checking them out.

-TOM-
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director, Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
www.acoustikmusik.com/
Celebrating 22 years in business in 2017

Quote    Reply   

adamgonsa

Tin Man

#8 [url]

Dec 1 13 11:00 AM

dcollins wrote:
I recently got some LP’S from Acoustic Sounds (Chad Kassem) that looked and sounded great, like the days of yore. I’ve talked to him a couple times at Hi-Fi shows and what he’s doing is very impressive.

DC

I sent several project to Quality Record Pressing (Chad Kassem's place) this year.  The product and experience were excellent every time.  I was really impressed with the quality (har har) of the vinyl. 

A quick phone chat with Chuck at QRP will demonstrate their attention to detail and thoroughness.  Perhaps because they are new the turnaround is really fast right now.  I suspect after more positive word of mouth, and recent mention in the NYT, their workload and lead time will increase. 

Presently they only do 12"s. 
Is RTI still good?

Yes, but you will wait. 

EDIT: typo

Last Edited By: adamgonsa Dec 1 13 12:05 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#9 [url]

Dec 1 13 11:50 AM

I'm intrigued by Quality Record Pressing. I'd love to hear more about their lineage. Basically, I want to find the best plant for an upcoming project-- cost is secondary and lead time is tertiary. Quality is #1. I want the absolute best pressing I can get.

I had always thought that RTI was the one. How is the metal finishing at Quality?

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

bonati

Silverado

#10 [url]

Dec 1 13 1:57 PM

Another good sticky might be "How to QC test pressings". Most people don't know. Not something to be embarrassed about.

Dave - what's your approach from the days or yore?

Quote    Reply   

adamgonsa

Tin Man

#11 [url]

Dec 1 13 2:26 PM

My positive evaluation of QRP is based on the finished product and communication throughout the process.  If you'd like specifics on their metalwork I recommend calling Chuck.

By lineage do you mean the owner's history?  Chad Kessem's wiki has some background info.  

QRP is really nice and if you have a strong desire to give something new a shot, go for it.  I suspect you'll be pleased with the record and have a good experience.  Generally I wouldn't recommend trying new plants for various projects though.  The cost and time associated with making a record means a project can go off the rails if you have to switch plants mid-stream due to any number of factors (rejected tests, customer service that rubs you the wrong way, etc).  If where you go is working, don't fix it by going somewhere else. 

I haven't done a ton of projects with RTI but the projects that have gone through there have been swell.  If you aren't in a rush I'm sure they'll do a fine job. 

GOTTA GROVE RECORDS
This record pressing company, located in Cleveland, OH, is the best. They do excellent work, they are reasonably priced and deliver on time. Most of the vinyl mastering I do gets sent there. I would recommend checking them out.

If you're interested in hearing more about Gotta Groove there's an interview with Matt Earley here

Quote    Reply   

dcollins

Platinum Blonde

#12 [url]

Dec 1 13 2:46 PM

bonati wrote:
Another good sticky might be "How to QC test pressings". Most people don't know. Not something to be embarrassed about.

Dave - what's your approach from the days or yore?

Well, It’s not that involved, really.  First is just a good look under a strong light.  You can easily see non-fill,  fingernail trimmings that got in the vinyl, etc.

Then I play it on a good, but not super-fancy, turntable (Technics with V15-V) and run it against the digital LP master.  It’s allowed to be different, but sometimes it’s not even close.  When it’s good it can actually sound subjectively better than the source.  No mystery there.  Pay special attention to surface noise, and increasing distortion (especially sibilance) as you approach the inner-grooves.  There isn’t the kind of level-wars on vinyl that there were in the 70’s, and I’ve only had one skipping problem in memory, (from the lacquer cut, not manufacturing) although in ye olden days there was a lousy turntable routinely used to check for skipping.

As always, I would recommend the Michael Fremer DVD on turntable setup, as well as some of the easily available Hi-Fi test records.

The guy who actually knows about this stuff is Paul Gold, and I hope he will add to this topic.

DC

Quote    Reply   

bob olhsson

Aqua Marine

#13 [url]

Dec 1 13 4:58 PM

My understanding is that lots of the smaller places don't do their own plating. One company I can recommend is Noiseland Indusries. They are brokers for a large pressing plant on France. We used them because of needing a faster turn-around time than elsewhere and found the results excellent at very competitive prices that included shipping. http://www.noiseland.com/

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#15 [url]

Dec 1 13 6:34 PM

I sent my first project to QRP about a month ago. I've been meaning to get in touch with the client to get a copy. I haven't heard anything so I assume all went well. I haven't heard a bad word spoken about them.

I am certainly no expert on playback. I'm trying to get up to speed myself. I just follow some basic setup procedures like aligning the angle of the cartridge and getting the tracking force right. I use a cheap AT cartridge for playback. It distorts pretty easily because it has a spherical tip. It tracks a little too well though. If i have a question about tracking I'll put in a V15 or something. I'm trying to get together a setup together for MC cartridges. I have no experience with them.

I have an Ortofon SPU and a Denon 103 ready to go. I have the Lundahl step up transformers mounted in a box. I just haven't had time to finish it off. The Denon 103 comes with a frequency response test plot. It's ruler flat. It has the reputation of being "the V15 of Japan". The Japanese audio industry sure put a lot of effort into playback. I find it fascinating that there was so much effort put into playback and so little into the disk recording side. I know that Denon made lathes for the Japanese market but I don't think they were ever for export.

Quote    Reply   

bonati

Silverado

#16 [url]

Dec 1 13 7:14 PM

bob olhsson wrote:
My understanding is that lots of the smaller places don't do their own plating.

While mostly true this shouldn't make you think less of smaller plants. It's extremely difficult to set up a plating facility even if a plant wanted to (strictly regulated chemicals, EPA looking over your shoulder.)  Most small plants in the US use Mastercraft in NJ. They are excellent and the only independent plating facility that I know of in the states. This is also why plating can be the bottleneck of record pressing. 

Archer and Bill Smith are examples of good plants that don't do their own plating. There are more. 

Quote    Reply   

bonati

Silverado

#18 [url]

Dec 3 13 12:00 AM

I have that Feickert protractor, it's a nice one. Would love to try out his Adjust+ software if I had any spare time. The Feickert turntables look great too.

Haven't been able to get any clients to bite on QRP yet.

Quote    Reply   

bobweston

Tin Man

#20 [url]

Dec 4 13 2:12 PM

Based on what we're hearing from clients and peers, I'd say that QRP and RTI are doing the highest quality work right now.

bob weston

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help