soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#21 [url]

Dec 4 13 7:10 PM

Bob, has anyone you correspond with expressed a preference between the two, or is it more of a "these two are equally great" type of situation. It's interesting with RTI being a vaunted veteran and QRP being the new kid.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#22 [url]

Dec 5 13 12:26 AM

jlapointe wrote:
Asking for a client - has anyone here used Palomino Records Pressing in Kentucky?  I had not heard of them previously.  They claim to do metal parts in house too which surprised me.  Any experiences with them anyone?  Thanks! 

I have had some second hand experience with Palomino.  A producer brought by some refs of an LP that had some mixes of mine on it.  They sounded OK but there were sibilance issues that were oddly in the middle tracks, thought to be the result of the diameter EQ setting.  Ultimately he opted NOT to press the vinyl but thought that Palomino were great to deal with.

I recently had a great pressing from a German plant called SST:

http://www.sst-ffm.de/home.html?&L=1

Last Edited By: zmix Dec 6 13 12:32 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#23 [url]

Dec 5 13 12:21 PM

zmix wrote:
 THe pressing sounded OK but there were siblance issues that were oddly in the middle tracks, thought to be the result of the diameter EQ setting.  "

Sibalance problems are almost always the cut not the pressing.

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#26 [url]

Dec 6 13 12:27 AM

gold wrote:

zmix wrote:
 THe pressing sounded OK but there were siblance issues that were oddly in the middle tracks, thought to be the result of the diameter EQ setting.  "

Sibalance problems are almost always the cut not the pressing

.I was referring to the reference discs they sent, and detecting objectionable sibilance while listening .  Do you think I should I change the wording of my post from "pressing"  to "reference" to avoid further confusion?

Last Edited By: zmix Dec 6 13 12:31 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#27 [url]

Dec 6 13 12:55 AM

zmix wrote:
.I was referring to the reference discs they sent, and detecting objectionable sibilance while listening .  Do you think I should I change the wording of my post from "pressing"  to "reference" to avoid further confusion?

Since this is a thread about pressing I was just pointing out where in the process the problem likely occurred. The three processes involved are cutting, plating and pressing. It helps with QC. Giving the pressing plant a hard time about a sibilance problem won't get you very far. I realize that Musicol does cutting as well as pressing. I assume they cut it and your post was shorthand.

Quote    Reply   

technologyworks

Gold Finger

#28 [url]

Dec 6 13 7:17 AM

I have had good results back from Optimal in Germany. My client booked it through a broker who got a better rate than dealing direct. I supplied 96/24 files which were I believe cut DMM

Tone of the first TP was excellent, but slightly noisy in the first minute or so of track one. We were sent a second set of TP which didn’y have the noise issue. Not sure what they changed, both sets of TPs had identical scribed numbers so it wasn’t a re-cut.

Peter Beckmann

Technologyworks Mastering 

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#29 [url]

Dec 6 13 10:08 AM

I've heard good things about Pallas Group in Germany. Is that related to Optimal, or just another well-reputed operation?

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#30 [url]

Dec 6 13 11:08 AM

gold wrote:

zmix wrote:

Since this is a thread about pressing I was just pointing out where in the process the problem likely occurred. The three processes involved are cutting, plating and pressing. It helps with QC. Giving the pressing plant a hard time about a sibilance problem won't get you very far. I realize that Musicol does cutting as well as pressing. I assume they cut it and your post was shorthand.

Perhaps.  However, I was under the impression that Palomino had done the cutting, hence the discussion about diameter EQ.  

Is it wise to discuss "pressing" without discussing "cutting"?   I doubt that any issues here would be specific to "pressing".  For tha matter, I've only heard refs of the last dozen or so LPs I worked on.. I'll have to ask for some released pressings...!

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#31 [url]

Dec 6 13 1:48 PM

zmix wrote:
Perhaps.  However, I was under the impression that Palomino had done the cutting, hence the discussion about diameter EQ.  

Is it wise to discuss "pressing" without discussing "cutting"?   I doubt that any issues here would be specific to "pressing".  For tha matter, I've only heard refs of the last dozen or so LPs I worked on.. I'll have to ask for some released pressings...!

In the above post I said I assumed that Palomino (I said Musicol) did the cutting. It is very wise to discuss pressing without discussing cutting. The only problem or issue mentioned in this thread is your comment about sibilance. I can't find any other mention of a specific problem. The sibilance problem happened in the cut. If Palomino hadn't cut it and you complained to them about it they would laugh at you and tell you to talk to the cutter.

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#33 [url]

Dec 6 13 11:10 PM

compasspnt wrote:
Hey, nobody laughs at Chuck.

If they do, you send them to me.

At least then you'll have someone to laugh with..!   :)

Seriously though, the issues of sibilance in pressing would have to do with poor metal work, no? 

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#34 [url]

Dec 6 13 11:33 PM

zmix wrote:
Seriously though, the issues of sibilance in pressing would have to do with poor metal work, no? 

No. It's the cut. It's the cut. It's the cut. Plating and pressing will not influence the sibilance. If there is a noise that happens in the same place on all copies it's plating. If it's noise that is different on multiple copies it's pressing.

That is an oversimplification and one process can influence another but it's basically true. Sibilance is an audio problem. If it's an audio problem it's the cut 99% of the time. If it's a noise issue it is more than likely plating or pressing.

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#35 [url]

Dec 7 13 12:05 PM

gold wrote:
Sibalance problems are almost always the cut not the pressing.

When you stated "Sibalance problems are almost always the cut not the pressing." I was confused by your use of the word "almost".  I wanted to open the discussion to allow you to explain this.  I inferred that you were implying that the "pressing" (the subject of this thread), could contribute, and the only mechanism I could image was improperly polished metal parts adding HF distortion during playback.

Thanks for clarifying your point (above).

Last Edited By: zmix Dec 7 13 12:08 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#36 [url]

Dec 7 13 2:50 PM

Ah, an "almost" case would be where an instance of sibilance is acceptable on a reference acetate but somehow crosses the line to unacceptable on the test pressing. The acetate wasn't totally clean but acceptable. This means there is excessive high frequency at that spot. Excessive high frequency can be difficult to plate. Separating the stamper from the lacquer is more difficult. If it doesn't separate right you could get extra distortion. Now you could blame this on plating. The only problem with that is that if you do the same cut again you are just hoping for the best the next time around. The way to get a fighting chance is to change the cut. So even in this case I would still blame the cut.

Quote    Reply   

tbethel

Gold Finger

#39 [url]

Dec 8 13 6:35 AM

It seems that this topic has gone off course. I thought this was to be a sticky about good pressing plants and now seems to have gone more into cutting, platting, or pressing problems. Maybe split the tread???

FWIW

Quote    Reply   

bobweston

Tin Man

#40 [url]

Dec 9 13 12:50 PM

soapfoot wrote:
Bob, has anyone you correspond with expressed a preference between the two, or is it more of a "these two are equally great" type of situation. It's interesting with RTI being a vaunted veteran and QRP being the new kid.

We've heard from a few of our pickier label clients and one well known "audiophile journalist" that QRP is doing the best work in the US right now.

bw 

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help