soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#82 [url]

Jan 18 15 6:08 PM

meepzork wrote:
To the best of my knowledge, the pressing plant also did the cut. 
Too late for this time, but for future reference-- I recommend never leaving things like mastering or even metal finishing up to chance, or to "staff." Far, far too important. 

2. The track at the end of side A (the one with the most noise) is literally the first half of the track at the end of side B (no noise). both halves were recorded as one song, same instruments, mixed as one song, but split up to make room on the sides. if the source that i provided was the issue (as they are claiming), wouldn't the sibilance on side A also be present on side B?

Not necessarily, particularly if the person who did the cut isn't as skilled at dealing with the different requirements of inner diameter vs. outer diameter. To my understanding, it's easier to cut challenging program material on the outer diameter than the inner diameter.

Since the record rotates at a constant number of revolutions per minute, and since the outer diameter is much larger than the inner diameter, the stylus literally moves faster across the outer perimeter, and slower on the inner perimeter. This means that any "squiggles" in the outer diameter are bigger, and less scrunched-together (to use a scientific term). I'm not a cutting engineer, so Paul or someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe distortion can becaused on the inner diameters by cutting or tracing losses-- cutting loss being "the squiggle is so narrow that trailing edge of the cutterhead wipes away or distorts what the leading edge just cut", and tracing losses being "the fancy cutterhead can make the squiggles, but your consumer playback stylus can't accurately follow their complex contours."

brad allen williams

Last Edited By: soapfoot Jan 18 15 6:15 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#83 [url]

Jan 18 15 6:44 PM

Sibalance is entirely dependant on playback. It's not distorted on the disk. It's just impossible to play back. Conceptually it may be confusing but you can put much more information on the disk than can be recovered. Most cartridges fall within a range and if it's severly distorted it will be that way on most cartridges.

A poorly aligned spherical tip will sound more distorted than a corretly aligned elliptical stylus. This is not to say that it's "just your playback". Only that everyone is hearing something different.

Noise is a completely differnt issure. Production copies usually get a little quieter.

Quote    Reply   

scullyfan

Platinum Blonde

#84 [url]

Jan 19 15 12:15 AM

The first time I was present when a lacquer was cut at Chess Records I noted that the mastering engineer attenuated the extreme top and bottom of the master, something like below 50 cycles and above 15K. I remember thinking, "hmm, so much for the 20-20K you hear about HiFi systems being able to reproduce". The actual album (I can't remember which one it was, but most likely a classic) sounded just fine. I think a lot of people think you have to have a lot of energy above 10K on an album to sound right, when too much high frequency lift actually wreaks havoc with the RIAA pre-emphasis and ends up sounding smeared and quite horrible. Chess had a pretty decent lacquer channel (Neumann VMS70, Pultec EQ, EMT PDM, the usual treble limiters, etc.) and I don't think they were doing anything that was too different from any other label. They wanted records that sounded good on the air and didn't skip on the Magnavox you had in your living room.

Well, after making quite a few horrible sounding vinyl records of my own, I learned to make sure my low frequency content was in phase, my mixes translated and not to over equalize. I think it is WAY easier to make a good sounding CD than a good sounding vinyl record.

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#85 [url]

May 14 15 10:34 AM

I just got some TPs back from Quality Record Pressings. I've got to say-- holy shit. They're just test pressings and they're already some of the quietest records I've ever heard. I'm very impressed.

I cued up side one, copy 1 and started my stopwatch. And my stopwatch kept going, and going, and going... there was one little spot toward the end that sounded like it might have been a hint of non-fill, or some gunk stuck to the stamper. Checked on another TP and it wasn't there so the metal is fine.

I cued up side B and forgot to pay attention. I got so immersed in the music that I couldn't manage to concentrate on whether or not there was any noise or errors. I'll have to scrutinize again later, but I take that very much as a good sign. This was an all-analog project start to finish, sequenced on the quarter-inch reels, mixed off of 24 track. The sound on these TPs is just so damned involving.

I hope they can keep their quality at this level in the long term. If this is what the TPs are like, I can't wait to hear the final production run. Very, very high-end stuff.

brad allen williams

Last Edited By: soapfoot May 14 15 10:39 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

seaneldon

Gold Finger

#87 [url]

Jun 8 15 3:33 PM

soapfoot wrote:
I just got some TPs back from Quality Record Pressings. I've got to say-- holy shit. They're just test pressings and they're already some of the quietest records I've ever heard. I'm very impressed.

Another nod for QRP. I've had two great experiences with them, and all of the records I own that were pressed there are, without question, the best sounding new releases in my collection.

Content & Curation Toiler at http://www.reverb.com
Chief Idiot at http://www.seaneldon.com

Quote    Reply   

RolandJX8P

New Forum Friend

#88 [url]

Jul 14 15 11:41 AM

Just had some vinyl shipped to the US which I had to have pressed in the UK due to long lead times in the US, and imminent release dates. The guys at Disc Wizards did a great job, I had to go with out TPs, and I got a turnaround of about 4 weeks for 500 7" and another pressing of 300 12". I got to say I was a bit skeptical with going with out TPs and the fact I'd not used them before, but the product was top quality, and the 4 week turnaround was a life saver.

Worth having a look at in case you require a fast pressing: http://www.discwizards.com/Vinyl/Vinyl-Pressing-Prices-UK.htm

Quote    Reply   

waltzingbear

Platinum Blonde

#89 [url]

Jul 14 15 11:56 AM

There's a new one on the block here in the Portland area
https://www.facebook.com/cascaderecordpressing
http://www.cascaderecordpressing.com/

am I biased, probably as one of the principals is a client. However not having seen any of the product yet how could I be biased? I have no knowledge or opinion!

Cheers
Alan

Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

Last Edited By: waltzingbear Jul 14 15 12:01 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#91 [url]

Aug 17 15 8:29 PM

hnewman wrote:
Can anyone tell me where RIP-V's presses ended up? I read somewhere in New Jersey, and then the trail went cold.

Epitaph bought them as I understand with a couple of other investors. I don't believe it's set up yet. I know they hired the Hub Servall engineer to set them up. The presses were originally Hub Serval. Then went to Rip-V.

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#92 [url]

Aug 17 15 10:35 PM

got final product from QRP last week. Simply incredible quality. The best in the game right now, that I've seen. There are others doing good work, too, but these were just remarkable.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

waltzmastering

Platinum Blonde

#93 [url]

Jan 13 16 1:32 PM

Curious if anyone has had a client use Discmakers for vinyl recently?

I have a client interested in getting product pressed there but haven't heard any reports of the quality since their vinyl operations are recently re-started up again after a long hiatus.
Their turn around time is a bit quicker than other places that the client has checked into at the moment.

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#94 [url]

Jan 13 16 2:50 PM

my friend Charlie Hunter used them for his last one. I believe he says he thinks they use Gotta Groove for their pressing, or did at that time. I'm not sure why he thought that, and won't swear that my memory is perfect.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

waltzmastering

Platinum Blonde

#95 [url]

Jan 13 16 3:20 PM

Thx. I thought I had read that they had bought some presses in the last year or so and wasn't aware they farmed the work out.
Do remember about how long ago your friend got his records pressed? maybe possible that they brokered jobs before getting presses?
but I will also ask the rep. Did he happen to mention about the quality of the pressing at all?

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#96 [url]

Jan 13 16 3:39 PM

waltzmastering wrote:
Thx. I thought I had read that they had bought some presses in the last year or so and wasn't aware they farmed the work out.
Do remember about how long ago your friend got his records pressed? maybe possible that they brokered jobs before getting presses?
but I will also ask the rep. Did he happen to mention about the quality of the pressing at all?

It was probably almost a year ago, 6 months at least.

He gave me one. It was good; definitely above average.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#98 [url]

Jan 13 16 5:48 PM

AFAIK they use Gotta Groove. Gotta Groove does excellent work and they are good with communication. Just contact them directly.

Quote    Reply   

waltzmastering

Platinum Blonde

#99 [url]

Jan 13 16 6:32 PM

Interesting. Wonder if they then print the art and package at DM, but that would involve extra shipping. They say all orders receive 4 test pressings.

Last Edited By: waltzmastering Jan 13 16 6:35 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#100 [url]

Jan 13 16 6:49 PM

There may be a couple of plants that can print center labels. I'm not aware of any pressing plants that have full print capability. WEA and Universal had full print capabilities but they are long gone.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help