trock

Platinum Blonde

Lead

Feb 7 14 7:04 PM

Tags : :

Hi Bill

was wondering if you had seen the new MIDAS M32? i was thinking of checking it out for live and home studio? maybe AES it to the symphony i have? having done the live gig for a year man do i love a real console feel (although i knwo these arent the consoles of old)

anyway the X32 was a big hit and this looks like a step up form that. if they can get the 24 faders with full DAW control this might be a great studio centerpice and allow me to ditch my patchbay and get everything patched in and out. and then if needed take it to a gig

just curious what you think?

or anyone else

thanks!

http://midasconsoles.com/Products/M32.html

Quote    Reply   

tim halligan

Platinum Blonde

#2 [url]

Feb 8 14 8:33 AM

I'm not Bill...nor do I play him on tv, but...

From what I've managed to glean from around the internet, the Midas M32 essentially IS a B@#$%&ger X32...albeit with different - not necessarily better - pre's, and different - not necessarily better - faders.

It's still a 48K desk...although it appears there may be an upgrade path in the future to higher rates, and as near as dammit the software is identical.

The visual styling is an improvement of the X32 in some punters' eyes too.

It appears as though this console is designed for a market segment below that of their Pro 1.

HTH

Cheers,
Tim

An analogue brain in a digital world

Quote    Reply   

bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#3 [url]

Feb 8 14 10:40 AM

I would like to know more about the ergonomics, since it appears to be a very menu driven console. However the price is right (less than 1/4 of what I paid for the DM2K new) and the usb2 32 channel interface looks sweet. If it is more Midas than Behringer (pres and faders as I see in the Youtube video) then it should be a great long term solution for use with Pro Tools 11.

Quote    Reply   

darin k

Gold Finger

#4 [url]

Feb 8 14 8:09 PM

The pre's are Midas. The pre's in the B-ger are "Midas-designed." My guess (only a guess) is that the analog side is to typical Midas standards while the digital aspects are the same as the B-ger.

Darin K.

Quote    Reply   

trock

Platinum Blonde

#5 [url]

Feb 8 14 8:39 PM

Cool

i have a friend who is using the X32 with PT and really likes it. we are talking small project studio's here. this came out with a street price of 4995.00 and they will update it to 96K and the MIDAS pre's are real MIDAS pre's from one of their top end boards, the faders are supposed to be much better as well, plus the new design and the fact it interacts with all DAW's with the motorised faders, transport control etc etc

thought it might be a great little board

cool! thanks!

Quote    Reply   

bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#6 [url]

Feb 10 14 9:59 AM

My personal preference for these kinds of systems is pretty well known. I believe that not only does a DAW/digital console configuration offer functional options beyond in-the-box systems, but adds lots of processing power to overcome the potential summing issues that have spawned the analog summing industry. Some of the ad copy is a little weird, such as the concept of sends on faders being a new development, but I would like to hear the console. Now that I'm at Omega teaching again, a system like this interfaced to PT 11, could offer a ton of benefits to students.

Quote    Reply   

trock

Platinum Blonde

#7 [url]

Feb 10 14 12:49 PM

thats cool Bill

i saw it at NAMM and thought it was a pretty nice layout and setup. i was thinking the price was going to be alot more than it came in with. the X32 is doing really well and has had some real world great reviews in the past year so this looked like a step up on alot of fronts for that

i know the X32 with PT has been really well integrated so this would be just better overall

i agree with you that a console like this allows you to plug everything in, route everything thru it and sum back out, or even mix thru it in combo with your DAW and offloading alot of processing from the computer

plus i honestly like how it looks

if you try one out or check it out i would love to hear what you think

thanks!

Quote    Reply   

bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#8 [url]

Feb 13 14 12:09 PM

I will check with Washington Professional Systems to see when they will have one in stock and I can take a look at it. Will report back.

Quote    Reply   

trock

Platinum Blonde

#9 [url]

Feb 15 14 6:36 PM

Bill

they just put the official brochure.

http://www.midasconsoles.com/m32_brochure/FLASH/index.html

i am getting interested in this for my project studio. how well it interacts with DAW's will decide it for me though. i would like to offload alot of proceesing to the console as well as have full 24 fader DAW and transport control, bankable.

if i can do that and its stable (the x32 is apparently very stable with DAWS but limited with 8 of the 24 faders) the price is ver nice and i can again plug everything into one piece and no longer patch stuff in and out. i used to have the yamaha n12 and loved it but it was to small and limited

i have the symphony setup now so i would like to keep that conversion, possibly thru AES, but plug this in for daw control and offloaind processing in a hybrid way with cubase

we will see

thanks!

Quote    Reply   

wireline

Aqua Marine

#10 [url]

Feb 16 14 8:59 AM

Serious question... how would Behringer/Midas plugins compare in sheer quality to those from (PT/Cubendo/Waves/UAD), and if they are on the whole inferior {not saying they are - asking} then why spend money for this sort of device knowing you won't be using one of the primary features of it?

This has kept me far far away from digital consoles since I unloaded at great loss/great pleasure a Mackie d8b many years ago, and has kept me from taking any of the current crop of similar items with any real consideration, though I don't rule anything out. (in other words, convince me!).

Ken Morgan

Please...Give It A Rest

Quote    Reply   

roger emk

Silverado

#11 [url]

Feb 16 14 11:23 AM

Bill - What do you think of the new Midas M32?

Processing quality, is one of those things that make the s3l interesting.
Hope to see either of these in my neck of the woods.

Quote    Reply   

jburtner

Gold Finger

#12 [url]

Aug 5 14 1:57 PM

These look very flexible WRT routing, signal flow, integration, and expandable I/O complement. I've got an "X32 Producer" on order for a small live-mix system to run it through its paces. If that goes well we will very likely go with an M32 for FOH/MON duties in the performance/broadcast theater.
This console like a very usable system for a mid or even larger sized studio where monitor or cue mixing may be important.
Cheers,
jb

Quote    Reply   

bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#13 [url]

Aug 5 14 8:27 PM

I did a live mix on the Behringer X32 and frankly, it sounded fine. I was careful with the pre's and they were OK. The interface is easy to see in the dark, even for an old guy with glasses. I thought it was not that far off from a Venue. (ducking for cover)

Quote    Reply   

barkleymckay

Platinum Blonde

#14 [url]

Aug 6 14 6:28 AM

I just tracked two bands live in partnership with the live sound engineer of Matt and Phred's in Manchester using the B'ger X32.
It plugged into the iMac via FireWire and was picked up seamlessly into PT10 native.
No drivers necessary - just core audio compliant.
The sound of the tracks are absolutely fine, taken pre eq and insert. Not at all veiled like I would assume having used B'ger products in the past - so the Midas touch (hoho) is evident.
It seems really comprehensive what the thing can do - and the engineer there really likes it's sound and functionality.

Quote    Reply   

hallams

Platinum Blonde

#16 [url]

Aug 7 14 2:27 AM

I purchased the X32 for the concert hall of the school i work at. I had it up and running for their Jazz Caberet that night mixing and recording. Sounds fine for the jobs asked so far. Very happy for what it delivers at the price point. My first real commitment to digital mixing live. I used a Yami M7 CL a few months ago for a school production with 16 DPA radio's etc and liked the x32 a lot more on a similar show last week but with live orchestra not backing trax.

Hallamsound Productions.

Quote    Reply   

dcollins

Platinum Blonde

#17 [url]

Aug 9 14 10:12 PM

I recently learned that one of the top analog designers I know of has been consulting for Behringer. If they listen to him, anything is possible.

Quote    Reply   

trock

Platinum Blonde

#18 [url]

Jan 16 15 12:28 PM

Hi Bill

I just read a pretty in depth actual hands on review of the M32. i was wondering what you thought of what they are saying, and all the charts i dont understand in terms of noise etc?

apparently they will update this board for full DAW control as well at some point

http://www.msmsystemsinc.com/storage/blog_pix/M32%20Review.pdf

anyway, if your bored some night and want to peruse i would be interested in your take on the tests and review.

thanks Bill!

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help