bill mueller

Aqua Marine

Lead

Feb 16 14 10:51 PM

Tags : :

Hello all,

Who here plays house concerts? My wife played one last Friday and it was frankly pretty amazing.

I put together a small PA system, but one with all the channels I needed. The Ramsa DA-7 digi console has very present preamps. I recorded it to an MX2424 and back to the second set of inputs to feed the mains, monitors and efx.

We also hosted friends of ours, Tommy and Saundra O'Sullivan from Dingle Ireland (O'Sullivan's Courthouse Pub), and we made a nice chunk of change to send them to the next show! http://www.osullivanscourthousepub.com/

I was kind of amazed and think there might be something here. Now my friends who hosted the show are wealthy and so their friends are wealthy, so they were generous, but still, it was real money. And for semi acoustic Americana artists like my wife and son, the conditions were near ideal.

Bill
Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#1 [url]

Feb 16 14 11:05 PM

I am going to be doing a House Concert pretty soon, and BTW, in the "house" (with great studio attached) of one of our PRW members. Probably will have 3-4 acoustic instruments plus my vocals.

I like the idea a lot, and it will be interesting to see how it goes. (Will announce details here when we get it set.)

I've always been a "rock" guy, but a while back I saw Bryan Adams play his acoustic set...for most of the evening, just him singing and playing an acoustic guitar. I was really impressed by how well his rock songs translated that way.

This should be interesting...

Quote    Reply   

wireline

Aqua Marine

#2 [url]

Feb 17 14 8:06 AM

I used to play several of them when doing the cowboy/western music gigs... really depends on the size of the house, but we carried a 8 channel Mackie stereo powered head and 4 speakers (2 mains, 2 floor) for full coverage, vocal and instrument mics/DI boxes (there were no electric instruments: 2 acoustics, upright bass, fiddle, mandolin) and don't forget a background music player for breaks...

See the thread I posted on Bluegrass about the band Dirty Kitchen...

Ken Morgan

Please...Give It A Rest

Quote    Reply   

ccash

Platinum Blonde

#5 [url]

Feb 17 14 3:00 PM

bill mueller wrote:
Hello all,

Who here plays house concerts? My wife played one last Friday and it was frankly pretty amazing.

I put together a small PA system, but one with all the channels I needed. The Ramsa DA-7 digi console has very present preamps. I recorded it to an MX2424 and back to the second set of inputs to feed the mains, monitors and efx.

We also hosted friends of ours, Tommy and Saundra O'Sullivan from Dingle Ireland (O'Sullivan's Courthouse Pub), and we made a nice chunk of change to send them to the next show! http://www.osullivanscourthousepub.com/

I was kind of amazed and think there might be something here. Now my friends who hosted the show are wealthy and so their friends are wealthy, so they were generous, but still, it was real money. And for semi acoustic Americana artists like my wife and son, the conditions were near ideal.

Bill

I love Dingle!
Been there 3 times and can't wait to go again.
Lots of great Pub music and lovely B&B's.

Quote    Reply   

hank alrich

Platinum Blonde

#6 [url]

Feb 17 14 5:15 PM

bill mueller wrote:
Hello all,

Shaidri and I play house concerts, and yes, it's amazing what is happening in that realm. We play some where no PA at all is needed (Daren Appelt's Ham Jam House Concerts in Austin), and in general, for us, very little SR covers things nicely. The money is good, people hang on every syllable, the food is good, the lodging is good, and real friendships may be forged, right across the nation. Friends I know sometimes put together successful US tours where nine of ten shows are house concerts. We're well down the totem pole of fame, but dropped into the right room we get treated like stars. One gets to engage one's audience very directly, as well as learn that each and every one is unique, because this is someone's dwelling, these are that someone's friends who crave to hear music where they can hear music. In one such venue in Austin, known for its very casual ambience, audients felt free to ask questions directly, even during our set, and we really enjoyed it. That won't work in a bigger room, but after our opening song the host asked, "Did you just play that in F without a capo?" (Ah, folk musos…). Later another person asked me about my McCollum guitar, saying it sounded fantastic, wanting to know what it was.

One of the major benefits for us is that when someone who is deeply into music has been booking their series for years decides they want to present us, it puts our name in a list of much better known artists, which encourages others to think highly of us.

hank alrich
http://hankandshaidrimusic.com/
http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic

Quote    Reply   

bill mueller

Aqua Marine

#7 [url]

Feb 17 14 7:47 PM

I thought you might be an expert on this Hank. I may want to pick your brain because so far, this concept looks (especially for my wife and son) like something heads and shoulders above the usual club debacle.

Quote    Reply   

berolzheimer

Aqua Marine

#9 [url]

Feb 19 14 12:00 AM

I mixed & recorded (& mixed) a house concert of Indian music recently, it was wonderful. The vibe is SO much nicer than the usual club date. The audience is so appreciative. Great music,food, & people.
I brought a Presonus Studiolive, a pair of powered Mackies, & some TnC mics, and took firewire out from the board to a laptop running protools.

Quote    Reply   

barkleymckay

Platinum Blonde

#10 [url]

Mar 2 14 5:23 PM

I've done quite a few house concerts - great fun!
Have just done a charity single with Jon Langford in support of The European House Concert Hub.

http://houseconcerthub.ning.com/

scroll down and you'll see the link for our quickie cover of Joe Strummer's X-Ray Style
(why is my name always spelled wrong!)

We have been also doing live streaming of concerts from our home using Concert Window.
It does have potential as a revenue stream - though I have some questions about live audio streaming, so will start another topic. :)

Last Edited By: barkleymckay Mar 2 14 5:26 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

caseyrice

Gold Finger

#11 [url]

Mar 2 14 10:36 PM

I have friends who do quite a lot of smaller house gigs these days on club tours. The money is the same but the crowd is way more into it and you feel a lot more appreciated is the impression I get. And Barkley you are in fine company with Mr. Langford, he is an absolute gem of a man.

Quote    Reply   

barkleymckay

Platinum Blonde

#12 [url]

Mar 3 14 4:13 AM

caseyrice wrote:
I have friends who do quite a lot of smaller house gigs these days on club tours. The money is the same but the crowd is way more into it and you feel a lot more appreciated is the impression I get. And Barkley you are in fine company with Mr. Langford, he is an absolute gem of a man.

Hi Casey.
Yes he is.
I lived with him for three years and have worked with him for nearly 24 years as a  part time Waco, Mekon, Pine Valley Cosmonaut and now an honoury Man of Gwent and Skull Orchard apple.

We did some small intimate House Concert style gigs last year in Belgium accompanying his art shows.
He's doing a live stream house concert here with me in my studio in May after some Three Johns gigs.
These are definitely a new paradigm for musicians!

Here's a couple of Jon Langford doodles for you. The stage plan for last years Green Man Festival is a gem.

Quote    Reply   

barkleymckay

Platinum Blonde

#20 [url]

Mar 3 14 12:55 PM

Back on topic. There has been a culture of House Concerts over here for some time.
There has also been quite an underground following of Americana here as well, which is ideal for these type of events.
House Concerts York is a good one.

http://www.houseconcertsyork.co.uk/

Last Edited By: barkleymckay Mar 3 14 12:59 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help