waltzmastering

Platinum Blonde

#41 [url]

Oct 12 14 7:49 AM

reynaud wrote:

waltzmastering wrote:
Unless you run into sticky shed. which isn't rare.

As Fenris mentioned, generally, faults such the hydrolysis of pigment binders are curable.

No. I know.  I'm just saying over time nothing is as gravy as it sounds.  Retrieving old 3 track recordings I'm sure would be a chore and you are still dealing with proper alignment and calibration issue's. ..but it can be done. Probably the best archive for old analog is digital, but then you'd want to keep it in a couple if not a few different places and ensure backward compatibility and store as higher rez consolidated files to be safe-r.

Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#42 [url]

Oct 12 14 8:36 AM

I'm sorry, but after baking a tape once, then putting it back into storage, then baking it again later, storing, baking, etc., is NOT a perfect archive method.

The tape is never as good on each subsequent baking. I have had tapes become unusable after two bakings.

I don't care what any specification "says," this was real life learning.

Quote    Reply   

reynaud

Silverado

#43 [url]

Oct 12 14 3:42 PM

compasspnt wrote:
I'm sorry, but after baking a tape once, then putting it back into storage, then baking it again later, storing, baking, etc., is NOT a perfect archive method.

The tape is never as good on each subsequent baking. I have had tapes become unusable after two bakings.

I don't care what any specification "says," this was real life learning.

Terry, please do not misunderstand, no one is suggesting that. I am not aware of any specification that even makes that claim and IASA-TC05 certainly does not either.

I suggested that IASA-TC05 be required reading since it still surprising the amount of engineers who lack this basic knowledge in such a crucial area. The suggestion was not directed at any one individual nor as a specific counter to a particular method suggested in this thread. It merely seemed pertinent to further the discussion and to share new information that may be of interest.

cheers,
Reynaud

Quote    Reply   

jerry tubb

Gold Finger

#45 [url]

Oct 13 14 5:25 AM

So I guess we have to consider the relative merits & weaknesses of the 3 types of archiving, analog tape, magnetic & optical digital.

Properly done and maintained, each have their strengths, and can last for many years if not decades.

Best, JT

Quote    Reply   

2r

Tin Man

#46 [url]

Oct 13 14 6:46 AM

waltzmastering wrote:
Probably the best archive for old analog is digital, but then you'd want to keep it in a couple if not a few different places and ensure backward compatibility and store as higher rez consolidated files to be safe-r.

Right now I work a lot for the departmental conservation, I transfer all of their archives (1/4 inch tape, cassette, mini-cassette, DAT, Minidisc ...).

In addition to create numbers of inventories, we use this method :

- 1 HD file
- 1 MP3 file (to listen everywhere and sharing online)
- 2 referenced audio CD (each stored in different locations)

The whole is transferred to two hard drives (also stored in different locations)

Quote    Reply   

aleatoric

Gold Finger

#47 [url]

Feb 22 17 12:41 PM

Old thread but can anyone recommend a backup software for OSX that is capable of backing up only select folders in a way that each time a backup is ran after the initial backup only files that have been added, deleted or modified are backed up?  

I figured Time Machine or SuperDuper! could do this but both backup entire hard drives.  What I want is the functionality of those but only for a select few folders for an offsite backup.  Thanks.

Quote    Reply   

Justin P

Silverado

#48 [url]

Feb 22 17 1:06 PM

aleatoric wrote:
Old thread but can anyone recommend a backup software for OSX that is capable of backing up only select folders in a way that each time a backup is ran after the initial backup only files that have been added, deleted or modified are backed up?  

I figured Time Machine or SuperDuper! could do this but both backup entire hard drives.  What I want is the functionality of those but only for a select few folders for an offsite backup.  Thanks.

I use Carbon Copy Cloner many times throughout the day. It's solid. I love it:

https://bombich.com

Quote    Reply   

jerry tubb

Gold Finger

#52 [url]

Feb 23 17 8:25 AM

Yeah I think we've all seen HDDs fail, always a bummer.
best to have double, and maybe triple backups, on different brands of media.
Yesterday I restored a 2005 project from Verbatim DVD-R, and it came back perfectly.
Course the discs have been stored in pretty ideal controlled conditions.
Probably an artist having all their audio music data refreshed every 5 years would be a good route.
Best, JT

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help