silvertone

Aqua Marine

Lead

Mar 21 15 9:10 AM

Tags : :

Started the restoration two weeks ago. I'm taking videos with each step of the process. 

First things was to clean her up, for this I used a product called Flitz. It's sold in MI stores to clean chrome snare drums and rings...  it works wonders on this old metal work. It also handles all the plastic as well. Took a week to clean the outside. I'm working on the inside now. Just look how that old metal flake paint shines now.

The preamp and line modules are with my tech being recapped right now and I should have them back next week. Power supply should be fairly simple, although I think I'll need two (one just to handle the lighted Simpson VU meters and "warning lights" and the other for the 201A modules).  Other than that it's just soldering connectors onto the ends of the wiring. The console has long snakes still attached for all its wiring. The good old stuff and it's all labeled which really helps!

Quote    Reply   

tb av

Platinum Blonde

#3 [url]

Mar 21 15 10:54 AM

Pretty....

Am I the only one seeing photos rotated? I was trying to figure why speakers were on the floor.

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#6 [url]

Mar 21 15 11:40 AM

tb av wrote:
Pretty....

Am I the only one seeing photos rotated? I was trying to figure why speakers were on the floor.

That's how they did polarity reverse in the old days. :) It is beautiful. I'd love to see the guts.

Last Edited By: gold Mar 21 15 11:46 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#8 [url]

Mar 21 15 11:58 AM

Thanks gang.

Pictures of the insides are coming but I have to clean it up first. Really she is so simple there is not much to show, a rack that holds the 12 modules, some wires and three transformers. Although the wire harnesses are done very nicely, kind of like how you did your Shaker desk Paul (which btw is beautiful).

My pictures are right side up. ???

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#10 [url]

Mar 21 15 12:49 PM

If you are on Mac, and maybe Windows, if you rotate a pic using Preview, when you upload it, that rotation gets lost for some reason. I guess the metadata gets stripped.

I have found that I have to export photos, using the same or different codec, to "bake in" the rotation.

The other thing I have found, is to upload images to Imgur.com … they have an option to rotate after you've uploaded it.
---------

The console looks fantastic! So cool.

Last Edited By: gtoledo3 Mar 21 15 2:15 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

waltzmastering

Platinum Blonde

#11 [url]

Mar 21 15 1:59 PM

silvertone wrote:

My pictures are right side up. ???

Only if I turn my monitor sideways.  Actually 3 look sideways and one upside down here.

Most all pics seem to load up fine but once in a while I've had to rotate in preview  .. which won't look right in preview but will when posted.

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#15 [url]

Mar 21 15 2:52 PM

Thank you... Labor of love really. I didn't rotate any photo's so I don't know why they would show upside down either. On my laptop, my iPad and my tower they all show fine.

I think I want to pair her with a DSD recorder and cut some records straight through her. I've toyed with the idea of getting a nice two track analog machine or bugging Irwin for that Presto 3 track of his but I'm not sure it would be worth the effort. I know the DSD format will give me pretty much everything I'm looking for although I think a great 1/2 inch analog machine would probably sound pretty euphoric.

Quote    Reply   

mikerivers

Platinum Blonde

#18 [url]

Mar 21 15 7:05 PM

tb av wrote:
Pretty....

Apparently not. First time I looked, only one was upside down, then they were all upside down, and on the third look, two are upside down.

Are those Dymo labels? If so, they're tacky. If they're original equipment, I guess that makes them cool.

For a good time, call mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#19 [url]

Mar 21 15 7:21 PM

hallams wrote:
Nice one! I'm looking forward to your impressions of how she sounds on the job.

The 201A pre's themselves have been on the job for about 5 years now. I use to have two racks (from Indego Studios) with 6 in each rack (powered with the original Langevin tube power supplies). Times got tough a couple years back and I sold one of the racks. Regretted it ever since. Vowed if I ever saw some 201A's come up for sale I'd buy them. Steve Ripley just happened to list a pair on eBay a couple months back, so I contacted  Steve and struck a deal to buy all that he had left. These particular ones come from Leon Russell's old tube console.  

The drums for all the Joe Pie Weed and the Contra Band songs that are being played on PRW radio right now are cut through these pre's. Some of the guitar and organ parts as well. So you can "hear them in action" now. 

I just love how old tube pre's like these capture sound,  just slow enough to let the transient pass and then create a gorgeous second harmonic bloom (or third depending on the design) yet in a very natural sounding way. I find this kind of classic audio design marries particularly well with the digital world. 

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#20 [url]

Mar 21 15 7:37 PM

podgorny wrote:
Looks great, Larry. I'm glad you didn't sell her.

Me too!  I got a few low ball offers for her but they just pissed me off.  To me this console is the definition of unobtanium.

After I let the Electrodyne console go I just really couldn't get rid of this as well. As rare as that Electrodyne was (there are only six ACC1204 consoles that I can account for to this day), I've never seen another one of these consoles in person. Only in pictures, like the Goldstar console. 

Now I know most were custom built back then but a lot of engineers built them using the instructions from the 50's and 60's Langevin catalogs, hence why a lot of them are so similarly designed (and use Langevin parts).

I'm afraid that most of these old beauties ended up in the dumpster. 

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help