silvertone

Aqua Marine

#21 [url]

Mar 21 15 7:47 PM

mikerivers wrote:

tb av wrote:
Pretty....

Am I the only one seeing photos rotated? I was trying to figure why speakers were on the floor.

Apparently not. First time I looked, only one was upside down, then they were all upside down, and on the third look, two are upside down.

Are those Dymo labels? If so, they're tacky. If they're original equipment, I guess that makes them cool.

No they are tacky Dymo labels but they are vintage Dymo, not like the crap they make today. Ha ha

I plan on eventually taking them off as everything is beautifully engraved (and filled in with white paint) underneath. I just like that the UCLA TFT department put them on there to designate exactly what the channels were being used for in the studio at the time. It's a glimpse back into history... I find things like that very cool. 

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Mar 21 15 9:24 PM

That really does look great, Larry!

Is it the Flitz polish-paste that you use?

"Real People, Real Performances."

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#24 [url]

Mar 21 15 9:43 PM

gio wrote:
That really does look great, Larry!

Is it the Flitz polish-paste that you use?

Yes that's the stuff Gio  it's wax on wax off,  buff her up and she shines. You should have seen all the cigarette smoke it took off... disgusting! 

Quote    Reply   

pcavins

Gold Finger

#25 [url]

Mar 22 15 12:33 AM

I will out myself as an ignoramus now. Could you fill me in on what console this is, a little history?

I'm betting there are some others like me who would like more background info-
Looks beautiful--

PC

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#26 [url]

Mar 22 15 6:42 AM

Hi Pete, some know the history as I started a thread a couple weeks ago asking if anybody here had worked on this console. It was built for and came from UCLA's Theater, Film and Television department. I was told it was used to cut a lot of cast albums and jazz records when she was installed there (mid 60's to early 70's). I've been trying to find out more about her.

I picked her up just before she hit the dump. The custodian at the school contacted me as I had just penned the article on the history of Electrodyne, Quad Eight ad Sphere. He was told to take the console to the srap yard, instead he did a little research on the Internet, found my article, contacted me and asked if I was interested in the preamp modules ( this was about 10 years ago). Of course I said yes. When the modules came I called to let him know I got them. In talking I asked where they came from. He told me and then described the console. I asked for some pictures and if he'd be willing to have me ship it to upstate NY. He said if I arranged the shipping I could have the console. A friend of mine at the time (RIP) worked for Forward Air and he could ship anything anywhere for 100.00. The rest as they say, is history. 

She was built as a 12x3 but only used as a 12x2 console. I got all the modules up and running about 8 years ago but never actually got around to restoring the console. The beauty is that I will leave 6 modules racked in the live room for tracking and install my other 7 modules in the console itself. Because they are a modular "cassette" style, I can slide the 6 out of the live room rack and slide them right into the console when needed. This gives me lots of options. Not bad for a 50 year old piece of kit.

Last Edited By: silvertone Mar 22 15 6:46 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

hallams

Platinum Blonde

#28 [url]

Mar 22 15 5:05 PM

The 12 x 3 configuration is interesting as my old Audek of similar vintage is also 12 x 3. Larry,do you have an idea on why that set up, especially the three outs?

Hallamsound Productions.

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#29 [url]

Mar 22 15 5:07 PM

Well 3 track tape machines were a thing at one time. I imagine a 12x3 Langevin into an Ampex 300-3 could sound pretty spectacular in the right hands!

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#30 [url]

Mar 22 15 5:36 PM

In fact going through the wiring today it looks like they did have the 3 track set up... and it probably was a 300-3 as the wiring has "Ampex Tape machine" written on making tape which is wrapped around 3 sets of wires going both to and fro.

That was the same machine I had lined up to pair with this console a couple years back. Jack Millers old Ampex 300-3.  Jerry Marotta and I were talking about setting it up down at Dreamland to do a whole bunch of Columbia 30th street type recordings (since I'd have the console and machine and he'd have the Church and Echo chamber). We even had John Sebastian lined up to be our guinea pig. Maybe someday. 

Last Edited By: silvertone Mar 22 15 6:13 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#31 [url]

Mar 22 15 6:12 PM

Cleaning out the guts today so I thought I'd post some pictures for Paul...

Most of the components are surface mounted so I toyed with the thought of laying her out more like the Abby Road tube consoles with the pre amp modules located on one side of the legs and the power supplies located on the other. Thus getting the heat out of the console. I could lay her flat as well and just do a stand off for the VU meters. 

A more close up shot...

The guts...

Ugly muffins fans  (mounted after it was built... a cobb job). These won't be staying!

3 track return section (I think)...

The labeled wiring...

Close up of the 3 Stancor transformers...

Holes were drilled into all the attenuators to keep them lubed. Don King told me I would need to do this but apparently the engineers at UCLA knew this already...

The EQ's...

Fun shot...

More to come... Stay tuned...

Last Edited By: silvertone Mar 22 15 6:22 PM. Edited 3 times.

Quote    Reply   

duskb

Platinum Blonde

#32 [url]

Mar 23 15 2:30 AM

Aside from being a thing of beauty...she is awesome. I love old desks like that. Especially with Langevin preamps in it.

----
Dusk Bennett
Engineering/Production/Educator
Los Angeles Ca
Award Winning Engineering
www.duskbennett.com

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#33 [url]

Mar 23 15 6:25 PM

duskb wrote:
Aside from being a thing of beauty...she is awesome. I love old desks like that. Especially with Langevin preamps in it.

Thanks Dusk. I feel exactly the same way. 

Bummer that the pictures show in all different directions. Only on my iPad do they show correctly now. On my Mac Pro they are every which way now (they were normal when I checked the other day). I even tried to edit the pictures but other than resizing them you can't do much. Strange...

Not complaining by any means Terry  :  ) 

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#34 [url]

Mar 23 15 6:36 PM

silvertone wrote:
Bummer that the pictures show in all different directions. Only on my iPad do they show correctly now. On my Mac Pro they are every which way now (they were normal when I checked the other day). I even tried to edit the pictures but other than resizing them you can't do much. Strange...

Not complaining by any means Terry  :  ) 

Here you go :)

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#35 [url]

Mar 23 15 6:41 PM

What is yuku.com?

The "rotate metadata" I refered to earlier to appears to be intact in the pic - it's fine. What appears to be the problem is that the photo as it is being rendered at "yuku.com" is the wrong rotation. Is that the lefora backend, like if we use the account here to store a pic?

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#37 [url]

Mar 23 15 8:22 PM

What I did was to just grab them off of the Yuku site, and on those pages, they are rendered in the upside down/rotated positions. Since the message links to those pages, they render however they are presented there.

I was surprised that they reverted to totally expected orientations when looking at them in the folder I had them for them on my desktop.

I uploaded to Imgur, and the correct rotations propagated through.

Quote    Reply   

duskb

Platinum Blonde

#39 [url]

Mar 23 15 9:25 PM

Hard to imagine something like that in a landfill. The langevin pots alone are worth a high end steak dinner. Then there's the fact that they gave it to you for the cost of transport. I'm so jealous.

Still, I'm glad you posted the pics. That has value close enough to owning it. Its a close second.

----
Dusk Bennett
Engineering/Production/Educator
Los Angeles Ca
Award Winning Engineering
www.duskbennett.com

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#40 [url]

Mar 24 15 8:28 AM

Thank you Dusk, again, I couldn't agree more.

More stuff hit the landfill than should have back in the 70's. The Eq's are worth 1200.00 alone and the lighted Simpson VU meters go for 150.00 + each, then the Langevin pots and stereo pots, it all adds up to over 3.5k in components alone, (not counting the frame or wiring). "One mans trash...", as they say.

I'm just glad im finally getting the chance to restore her!

Last Edited By: silvertone Mar 24 15 8:33 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help