silvertone

Aqua Marine

#42 [url]

Mar 24 15 2:03 PM

Well as stated before the pre's are up and running and most eveyone has heard them on PRW radio.

As for the console. I'm shooting for a month or two at the outside. For me, I have to strike when I have a little money saved... and that is right now.

I hope to be doing some live off the floor recordings with her this summer, either to 3 track analog or high end DSD (or both simultaneously).

Anyone have a power supply they want to sell... Ha ha

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#43 [url]

Mar 24 15 9:00 PM

There were two giant Llamda tube power supplies at Al's shop. I think they did 4A @ B+. DC heater. We couldn't give them away...land fill.

Quote    Reply   

roundbadge

Tin Man

#44 [url]

Mar 28 15 8:28 PM

Beautiful Larry.
so glad you kept it.
I miss my 201a rack!
I sold it to my neighbor down the street, a  hip hop artist named Adrian Younge .
He's all analog.no DAW/computer in sight.
he did his latest record "There is Only Now"  entirely through the 201a's to tape..no samples.all live playing.
refreshing.

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#45 [url]

Mar 29 15 10:51 AM

gold wrote:
There were two giant Llamda tube power supplies at Al's shop. I think they did 4A @ B+. DC heater. We couldn't give them away...land fill.

There's one for sale on eBay right now. They are asking 250.00 for it. Price seemed kind of steep to me but I don't know anything when it comes to old Llamda power supplies. Bidding ends today. 

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#46 [url]

Mar 29 15 11:00 AM

roundbadge wrote:
Beautiful Larry.
so glad you kept it.
I miss my 201a rack!
I sold it to my neighbor down the street, a  hip hop artist named Adrian Younge .
He's all analog.no DAW/computer in sight.
he did his latest record "There is Only Now"  entirely through the 201a's to tape..no samples.all live playing.
refreshing.

Thanks Hunter, I'm glad I kept her too. 

A good frind rind of mine is selling a racked pair right now. He does not have them actively listed but put out a couple calls to friends. He's just doing all video work now and doesn't need his recording gear anymore.  I've considered buying them from him but I need more pre's like I need a whole in my head. At one point I was up to 54 pre's with 22 of them being 201A's. Now I'm more under control and only have 18 of them left, 13 of them being 201A's. 

I bet that album your friend did with them sounds great.  All analog goodness going on!

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#47 [url]

Nov 6 16 7:54 AM

After 5 years of searching I finally found an original Langevin 5206 power supply from an old Ampex engineer. Cleaned her up and now am finally going to finish restoring the console. Images show correct when importing but show tuned on their side in the album. Click on the photo and it shows correct. Go figure.

One more module to recap as well...

imageimage

Quote    Reply   

Mickeyrouse

Silverado

#51 [url]

Nov 6 16 4:21 PM

Can't help but wonder how the Langevin circuit compares to that of a channel in an Ampex mx-10 i have. I used a couple linked about 50 years ago, and felt so behind-the-times because it wasn't solid state. Eventually got Opamp Labs ( anybody remember that?) and took a while before I realized "thin" did not mean "clean" - which is what transformerless sounds like. Though I sold those a long time ago, eventually found another. As plain vanilla as vanilla gets in features, but tubes, transformers, etc.    Never been around Langevin. Several Houston studios from the 60's used mx10's as well, going into state-of-the-art Ampex 3 trackers.

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#54 [url]

Nov 20 16 8:09 AM

Thanks man. Those are all the raw tracks with no processing on them whatsoever. I wanted to show what the various pre amps brought to the picture.

Most of the guitar work is a Mexi tele into a cheap 1979 solid state Fender Hardvard Reverb amp. Anything with Tremelo on it is a cheap Sears 1482 Silvertone amp.

Any leads done by Tommy were either his nice Tele or an L5 into a 1964 Fender Super Reverb.

I have a whole other album done right now and am just awaiting lead players to play on them. Some would be great tunes for PRW members to play on. I wish the site would host music so I could just load them up and let people hear them. Then if anyone was interested they could pick the tune they wanted to play on. Maybe I'll try it using sound cloud or one of those sites. I think it would be great to have an album with a cast of PRW members playing on it.

This time all my guitar parts were done with my tele and the Silvertone amp only. It just fits my style.

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#55 [url]

Nov 20 16 10:55 AM

I'd love to try one of those preamps. The only tube preamps I've ever owned were V72As, and they were very nice without killing me. I've always preferred transformer-coupled discrete solid state preamps, but that could just be because I haven't used the right tube preamp.

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#56 [url]

Apr 7 17 2:59 PM

(I posted some of this in my WTB thread in the classified section)

It's taken me a while... and several years with bouts of depression (that almost caused me to bail from the industry all together) but instead I'm back and moving in a forward (albeit backward) direction... I decided to move ahead with my pipe dream of marrying a great old 3 track tape machine with the Langevin.

To that end Bob Irwin is going to sell me his mint condition Presto 825 1/2" 3 track recorder from Sundazed Records (that he got off Mark Wilder). I guess Mark used this machine (for Sony) to mix some of the Columbia 30th street tapes to make new masters about a decade ago.

I am over the top excited. Once paired with the Langevin I hope to cut some beautiful live music with her. Especially if I can incorporate some of the features that I want into the Langevin... I have the utmost faith in Ken McKim so it shouldn't be a problem, as long as I hit the lottery. lol

One thing I know, it will be a unique sound... that is for sure.

Silvertone Mastering, celebrating 28 years in business.

www.silvertonemastering.com

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#58 [url]

Apr 8 17 6:58 AM

barry hufker wrote:
I am eager to hear the results!

Thanks Barry, so am I.  

Ken with have the console till around end of May beginning of June if all goes well.  After that I should be able to start to do some recording.

I know Scotch 220, 222 etc would be the best tape for these type machines but since they can be gotten anymore what modern equivalent will work?  Does anybody know?  Does JRF make an equivalent?

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#60 [url]

Apr 8 17 10:17 AM

Picture of a similar beast but not the actual one... Bob will be back from Sundazed Nashville headquarters to Cocsackie, NY next week. Hope to pick her up a week or so after that. The fact that Sundazed is only one hour from me is a blessing.

This picture came from engineer Jim Reeves site...image

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help