barkleymckay

Platinum Blonde

Lead

Apr 3 15 7:00 AM

Tags : :

As promised to Cliff, here is my little photo essay of the extension and building work we had here at our studio at home. The build spanned 4 months.
I've been recording here at home professionally since at least 2006 - but have always wanted to get the piano and noise making stuff all consolidated downstairs in the basement.
My agenda is to have a facility that can manage an acoustic jazz quartet - all with sight lines - and somewhat isolated from the neighbour.

Lots of mud to remove. father and son team Rich and Richard:

Quote    Reply   

barkleymckay

Platinum Blonde

#3 [url]

Apr 3 15 7:08 AM

Intererior plasterboard and wiring done. Floor done. All insulated. The floor is timber with an airgap of about a foot before the cement to allow for aircirculation etc. A lot of reinforcement had to be made on one end to accomodate the piano.

We kept the original patio doors in place. Drum Iso booth!

Quote    Reply   

barkleymckay

Platinum Blonde

#4 [url]

Apr 3 15 7:12 AM

Roof goes on and interior plastering done.
What was interesting was that as the build progressed, the room seemed to appear small at one stage, then seemed bigger again when the plastering was done.
It is a 6 metre by 3 metre room.

I drew the short straw and did the painting...

Quote    Reply   

barkleymckay

Platinum Blonde

#6 [url]

Apr 3 15 7:22 AM

Just the week prior to the piano move, the inner room project started. The agenda was to try and reduce transmission through the party wall to the neighbours, so a false wall with airgap made. Soundblock plasterboard and green glue. New ceiling put in with hefty insulation. It is not perfect, but if I can get an improvement I'm happy. We keep the sessions in daylight hours.

Quote    Reply   

barkleymckay

Platinum Blonde

#7 [url]

Apr 3 15 7:26 AM

Piano moved in Friday 13th Feb. Session the following Wednesday 18th.
I didn't take any photos of it's move as was quite terrified when it nearly overshot the driveway into the garden below. But it got in!

That night I hung up some self-made acoustic panels and a bookshelf and all is well.

Quote    Reply   

barkleymckay

Platinum Blonde

#8 [url]

Apr 3 15 7:35 AM

You make plans to have a facility to accomodate four musicians - then the first project you get in is for seven.
Horace Silver band called Seven Pieces Of Silver in the week after the piano is moved in.
Really excited this day to see how it all worked out. Band very comfortable and spirited.
what was funny was the neighbours. When we told them we had a session on, they took the day of work!
Feedback was good. They could hear the horns quite clearly obviously but enjoyed it.

Behind the drummer is the unplastered soundblock plasterboard on top of the isolated frame to make the false wall.
These are doubled with a good helping of green glue in between

The old piano room upstairs with the four horn players.

Last Edited By: barkleymckay Apr 3 15 7:57 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

7seas

Gold Finger

#14 [url]

Apr 5 15 5:35 PM

Wow Barks. Looks like a great place to create. Great photo story. I wish you many happy musical times in there.

Richard

Quote    Reply   

trock

Platinum Blonde

#15 [url]

Apr 6 15 7:47 PM

that looks fantastic! i agree to at first i thought it looked small but as you added everything in it seemed to grow MUCH larger! probably the picture perspective, but very nice!

Quote    Reply   

KatherineAxel

Gold Finger

#19 [url]

Apr 10 15 11:01 AM

Thanks everyone for the good wishes. I hope it goes without saying there's an open invitation to any of you who happen to travel this way!

www.valleywoodstudio.com

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help