paulyd

Gold Finger

Lead

Jun 11 15 2:00 AM

Tags : :

I was experimenting with BIAS Desktop and disabled its cab section, then followed it with an Acustica Audio Nebula3 plug-in loaded with a vintage Marshall cab program from OwnHammer. This yielded a subtle but noticeable improvement in sound. While I was at OwnHammer, I noticed they are planning to release a bass cabinet series which I'm very interested in. The bass amp sim in Logic Pro X is decent but I still find myself using IK Multimedia Ampeg SVX with 32 Lives. So I started researching...check out Kazrog Recabinet 4. It's a hybrid plug-in where the cabinet section is done with convolutions. It has some nice hi-gain guitar sounds. It only has one bass amp sim, but it has several bass cab convolutions to choose from that are really good. It also has an IR import feature if you want to convolve your own cabs or use third party IR's. This also lead to finding Two Notes Torpedo Wall Of Sound III. They want an awful lot of personal information to activate the plug-in, but the basic plug-in is free and they have an a la carte shop online where you can buy guitar and bass cab convolutions for it. They're reasonably priced too. Like Recabinet 4, you can also create your own IR's or load third party IR's into it. Anyway, I think the programmed preamp/power amp with convolution cabs idea is a real boon to the home recordist. This stuff just keeps getting better all the time! 

Paul
Quote    Reply   

podgorny

Platinum Blonde

#1 [url]

Jun 11 15 2:10 AM

I purchased Scuffham's S-Gear based on a recommendation from another forum member, and have been surprised by the quality. Even bought some Ampeg IRs from RedWirez to use when mixing DI bass tracks. Works well.

Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#3 [url]

Jun 11 15 12:33 PM

I looked at the S-Gear site, and was put off because all they talked about was LOUD, hi-gain stuff, which plug-ins have always been like (except BIAS).

So I didn't even try it out.

Everyone doesn't want a Marshall on 11 mixed with some California slash sound on every track.

So you say S-G is good for "regular" low gain sounds?

Quote    Reply   

paulyd

Gold Finger

#4 [url]

Jun 12 15 4:57 AM

Yes, S-Gear is pretty versatile, and as Kyle pointed out, it follows the modeled preamp & power amp/convolved cabinet & mic format which I've come to appreciate. I'm really glad to see bass-specific cabs and mikes being given serious attention now too. S-Gear and Recabinet offer dual-cab & mic setups too for added versatility. An engineer can go completely bananas with Torpedo WOS III. Up to 100 cab & mic IR's can be loaded into a single instance of the plug-in.  

Paul 

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#5 [url]

Jun 12 15 7:16 AM

I have to look at all of these sims as their own thing. None of them-- even the Kemper-- have sounded/felt enough like real guitar amps to me to make me willing to substitute them in that capacity. However that doesn't mean they're useless on their own, as a sound in their own right.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

zakco

Platinum Blonde

#6 [url]

Jun 12 15 12:19 PM

Other than the Sansamp PS-1 plugin (which is great for dirt and grit), I've never had much satisfaction from Bass Amp sims, but I just recently discovered this gem:

http://www.kuassa.com/products/cerberus-bass-amplifikation/

I'm not crazy about the "valve" or "drive" (yuck!) settings, but the "FET" mode really sounds good to me and unlike most other plugins, the mic positions seem pretty well modeled - they can move up/down. left/right, in/out, plus on axis or off. I'm digging the 441 in particular.

Quote    Reply   

zakco

Platinum Blonde

#7 [url]

Jun 12 15 12:28 PM

compasspnt wrote:
BIAS

Bias does sound pretty good, but the interface drives me insane. I have little interest in tweaking that many parameters and (maybe it's just my touch or signal path) but the presets are universally awful in my books. To the point where (unlike a real amp) no amount of adjusting the front panel will get me there. It's either jump in to a world of convoluted, parameter minutiae or give up it seems.

I wish someone who shares my taste in tone (and has WAY more patience than me...) would set up a Tweed, an AC30, a blackface and perhaps 1 high gain variety so I could get what I need from just the front panel and the cabinet windows. Oh well...dream on...

Quote    Reply   

7seas

Gold Finger

#8 [url]

Jun 15 15 6:27 PM

I use S Gear as well. When I first got it I was a bit 'meh'. But I kept seeing posts about how versatile it was. So I persisted and now quite like it, mostly for rhythm gtr or a bit of texture. I'm just a little home recording guy at the mo, so it works. I do find though that any distortion is best added pre ITB/ Scuffham with real hardware/pedals.

Richard

Quote    Reply   

trock

Platinum Blonde

#9 [url]

Jun 17 15 2:34 PM

Having always been mostly forced to use a Program/plug/ or hardware emulator due to not being able to mic an amp in my house I have gone thru a whole lot of trial and error here

the one area the emu's always fell down for me early on was the middle - the Chimey, light break up rock sound. Sort of that ac/dc, early REM, play the guitar thru an amp only and have the volume up and gain low.

i thought they got clean and metal pretty much down, but never had me convinced with what i just described

I went thru all the DAW ones, Guitar Rig, Fractal Axe, eleven Rack, and ended up with and keeping the Kemper. I have been really happy with the profiles you can get on it and how tweakable it is. it sounds great direct, and of course you can re amp it or use it live as well.

I just got a UAD satelite so i may check out their Marshall plug which i think they did with softube?

Quote    Reply   

morespaceecho

Platinum Blonde

#10 [url]

Jun 24 15 12:27 PM

compasspnt wrote:

So you say S-G is good for "regular" low gain sounds?

i LOVE it. 

i feel the same as you, super high gain sounds weren't of much interest to me, i wanted something on the lower gain/responsive to picking dynamics side of things. i really wanted to like magix' vandal, as i'm a big fan of sascha's work, but it just left me kind of meh. 

tried out s-gear....opened it up with the default settings, played for a half hour straight before moving a knob. it just made me want to play. i can't say enough good things about it. the amps sound good. there's tons of room to manuever in the 'in-between' zone of clean and distorted, which is where i usually live. it can do high gain in a non-metal way. the high end sounds nice, not all shrill and fake. the 'sag' knob really adds a nice squishiness. the cab sims are good, and for the scuffham sims, he has a grid where you can move the mic front to back, on the cone to on the edge, which makes a huge difference. at first i was like "option anxiety!" but in practice it's really quick and easy to move "the mic" around and find something that works. 

i haven't messed with the effects much, but i can say that the default reverb is basically perfect. i just leave it as is pretty much all the time. 

i got it because i like to be able to record guitars quick and easy, while standing in front of the monitors (i avoid phones as much as possible). i figured i'd use s-gear just to have reasonable sounds to track with, then go back and reamp the di's later. having gotten a few tunes together though, i'm totally happy with the sounds as they are and will likely just leave them. which was a nice surprise. sent rough mixes to a couple friends, who were both like "those guitars sound great!"

so yeah. big fan here. one caveat: it's kinda wonky in reaper. sometimes reaper will hang when trying to open projects with s-gear on the tracks. i figured out a workaround, and the designer is looking into it, but that's been an annoyance.

www.oldcolonymastering.com

morespaceecho.bandcamp.com

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#11 [url]

Jun 24 15 12:44 PM

In regards to the original post and the mention of the Logic amp sim, I have found that the guitar amp presets are worth checking out for bass as well. The Fender type models are what I would usually checkout first.

Quote    Reply   

waltzmastering

Platinum Blonde

#12 [url]

Jun 24 15 7:14 PM

I just mastered an album where all the guitar parts were done with a Kemper and to be honest it drove me up a wall. Top notch playing, production and song writing. The first album I did with the same artist. sounded great, all done with amps.. one and done. I had a hunch, but rang the client to see what had changed and the amp change was what it came down to. Lost girth in the bottom and spitty highs.
Sims are getting better than they ever have been, but like compression, still a ways to go imho. Useful in the right situations for sure, but as a full replacement for the real deal, I'm not 100% sold.. yet

Quote    Reply   

podgorny

Platinum Blonde

#13 [url]

Jun 25 15 11:47 AM

If the sounds on the recording are lacking, I'd blame the user, not the Kemper. In side-by-side comparison on playback, the Kemper is indistinguishable from the amp which it profiled.

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#15 [url]

Jun 25 15 7:06 PM

podgorny wrote:
If the sounds on the recording are lacking, I'd blame the user, not the Kemper. In side-by-side comparison on playback, the Kemper is indistinguishable from the amp which it profiled.

"indistinguishable" to whom, though?

I'm not trying to make any claim of "golden ears," but I've used the Kemper, and it is nothing at all like the experience of using a great vintage tube amp. Nothing.

Count me in the "better, but still a ways to go" camp.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

waltzmastering

Platinum Blonde

#16 [url]

Jun 25 15 9:56 PM

podgorny wrote:

I'm not familiar with how the unit works, but I know he said 3rd party profile paks were used, ..and those were put together and sold by someone who has been around the block.  They did sound good, but it's almost like when you can tell a snare or kick sample is blended,  even when blended very cunningly,  you can usually pick up on it because it sounds a little too right.  This had a similar tell, only it didn't have the natural feel of a speaker moving air, if that makes sense. I'm not putting down modeling because it has a place, just making some observations that had partially thrown me for a loop at first.

Quote    Reply   

paulyd

Gold Finger

#17 [url]

Aug 25 15 11:41 PM

I finally got around to reading the manual for Kazrog Recabinet 4 and noticed JJ Blair and Ross Hogarth are named in the Special Thanks section. Cool! Whatever input you guys are providing, thank you! Still really liking it for rock bass guitar.

Paul

Quote    Reply   

weedywet

Ruby Baby

#18 [url]

Sep 11 15 2:54 PM

I work with someone who LOVES the Kemper, and we use it a lot.
It's very good.
But no one, including my Kemper evangelist and user friend, thinks it's "indistinguishable" from the amp it modeled.

that sort of thing is Winer-speak... it's where people lose me, when they start to say things like "indistinguishable".

I care about if it sounds good; if it sounds usable; if it's easy and reliable; things like that.

None of them is "indistinguishable" to me. But that doesn't ultimately matter, except in the sales pitch.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help