trock

Platinum Blonde

Lead

Jun 19 15 11:30 AM

Tags : :

I was one of those people who bought a whole lot of gear thinking the gear or instrument or program would make everything sound great with little need for me to intervene

its been a costly, COSTLY error.

I have now, over the years, finally learned enough about me and my songs to hone a workflow that utilizes what i need, when i need it. i have also learned alot about these pieces I have chosen. more importanly i have reached a point where I know for sure what i am getting rid of is not needed, nor will it be.

with that being said, I have put together a relatively massived list of things I am now selling, hoping they might go somewhere and be used. 

while i LOVE gear and guitars hanging on the wall, i don't use probably 60% of the things i have purchased. that being said I was just wondering as you lived and learned, was there a time when you felt confident enough to streamline your studio? willing to get rid of some bling to make it more efficient?

Quote    Reply   

wireline

Aqua Marine

#1 [url]

Jun 19 15 11:57 AM

Yup...I sold almost EVERYTHING to a former employer, only be be run off when business took a downturn (that had nothing to do with me, the music side of his world, etc)...left me with virtually nothing. You'd be amazed at what you can accomplish when you treat your world like a 1974 studio - lots of subgroups, multi-purpose everything, etc.

Pay closest attention to the recording environment - NOT the mixing area, but where the mics actually pic up the sounds to be transferred to your system. I'm recording an 85% acoustic project at the moment in my house, an 85-90 year old home, with the mics set up in the living room. No carpet, just hardwood floor, modest mics, RME Fireface, 1" thick hardwood tongue-in-groove walls, etc...and have never EVER gotten as good a sound from an acoustic guitar as I'm getting right now, even in million dollar rooms with esoteric mics, pres, etc....

Edit to add:  I'm tracking with PT10, mixing with Samplitude, Mac Mini 2012 Bootcamp...Mics are Oktava MJE K47E with or without 011 SDC capsule, modded 219, an out of the box EV RE16 that I've owned forever, and a Beta 58 Shure.  Would love to have my old mics and pres back, or the consoles I've owned over the years, but at this juncture, I don't see how it would make a significant cost/benefit improvement.  If I need drums, I'll bring in a drummer and mic him live...

Ken Morgan

Please...Give It A Rest

Last Edited By: wireline Jun 19 15 12:02 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#2 [url]

Jun 19 15 12:38 PM

I find that I legitimately like and use a lot of things, so I've never gone through a "purging" process. What I have done, on occasion over the years, is do a cost-benefit analysis of "these things I don't use very often" versus "something I would use more that I could afford only if I sold these things".

I don't think I've ever found myself with a glut of gear that I had no use for. Maybe a piece or two here or there-- but when I was first starting out I could only afford things I REALLY needed, so I tended to choose carefully. And as I was able to afford more things, it was after a time where I had acquired more experience and discernment.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

spiritwalker

Aqua Marine

#4 [url]

Jun 19 15 2:55 PM

Finally started getting rid of some of my stuff. Sadly I sold my 1959 Leedy drums, and just sold a 1981 Marshall JMP 50 watt master control head. I hated the sound of it, but the fellow who bought it loves it! A match made in heaven. I'll take that $900.00 and use it on my trip to songwriting camp with Steve Earle.
Although... I am itching to get a KM84.
I think a bunch of my Fender amps are going up next and a few more of my drum kits.
I certainly am going to hold onto my HD3 system. It works in my room and does everything I need at this point.

OK it's cold here

Quote    Reply   

mario i

Platinum Blonde

#5 [url]

Jun 19 15 3:10 PM

Same here. Always had a hard time getting rid of stuff.

That said Tim, I believe many of us are in a different boat than you who is not running a commercial / project studio where we are recordists primarily.
Two of my friends (one of them is a very successful cover artist) have a very minimal setup in their home which delvers exactly what they need.

When they need to track more instruments at once they work outside their home and they've both said how refreshing that is to work outside
their home as artists and interact with others.

If I were not in the business of trying to cater to people I would do things a whole lot different.
And it's those dead times which gets me thinking along those lines and think I should get rid of everything....

Anyway I'd want a minimum of 1 (8x8 channel) sound card, 1 good vocal mic (1500-2500$), 1 pair of same type of mic - reasonably priced @ 350-500$ each (either LDC or SDC),
a few good dynamic mics including 1 SM7, 1 RE20 (which could double up as vocal mics if need be) and a few other usual suspects.

Maybe a 1 good preamp, but you know what... I'm pretty sure you could get away without it for most of what is done.

Good luck in your quest.

M

Quote    Reply   

scullyfan

Platinum Blonde

#6 [url]

Jun 19 15 8:54 PM

Sold my 1967 Fender Pro Reverb, Fender Bandmaster bottom and Fender Twin last year, all original and working perfectly. A few years back I sold one of my Les Pauls and a bunch of power amps for an outdoor-sized PA system. Now I'm down to two Fender Prosonics, an Ibanez TSA15, a Sovtec Mig50 and a Bruce Zinky-designed amp plugged into a Jet City extension speaker. I have a lot more room in the studio now. I am NOT considering selling ANY mics or processors. I AM considering selling two lawn mowers, however...

Quote    Reply   

duskb

Platinum Blonde

#9 [url]

Jun 20 15 9:31 AM

trock wrote:
I was one of those people who bought a whole lot of gear thinking the gear or instrument or program would make everything sound great with little need for me to intervene

its been a costly, COSTLY error.

I have now, over the years, finally learned enough about me and my songs to hone a workflow that utilizes what i need, when i need it. i have also learned alot about these pieces I have chosen. more importanly i have reached a point where I know for sure what i am getting rid of is not needed, nor will it be.

with that being said, I have put together a relatively massived list of things I am now selling, hoping they might go somewhere and be used. 

while i LOVE gear and guitars hanging on the wall, i don't use probably 60% of the things i have purchased. that being said I was just wondering as you lived and learned, was there a time when you felt confident enough to streamline your studio? willing to get rid of some bling to make it more efficient?

I'm there now. The owner of the 8 1073s presently parked in my board legitimately needs them back because he wants to sell them so I'm foraging for the funds to replace them with an aftermarket solution (read that BAE or equivalent). In the last two weeks I sold my Lex 480L, 200, Electrodyne comp, and a handful of other items to generate the coin I need to do this. I'm halfway there. 

Its hard to see them go but like Brad said, it makes no sense to sit on a pile o gear that I turn on for random mixes when I'm about to loose a major component I use for everything. So be it. 

Live life. Upgrade often!

----
Dusk Bennett
Engineering/Production/Educator
Los Angeles Ca
Award Winning Engineering
www.duskbennett.com

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#11 [url]

Jun 20 15 12:07 PM

compasspnt wrote:
Dusk, maybe the 7th Circle "Neves"?

I really do like those.

I have some at home. They're different than the BAE 1084s and 1073s we have in our A room, and different again than the 31102s in our 8058 in our B room, but they're not "clowned" by either, to my ear. They're in the family, and they sound good. I've used stuff I've recorded on them here at home mixed in with stuff recorded on the BAE and vintage Neve pres, and they certainly didn't come close to holding me back. I don't feel like I'm really losing much of anything with them.

But, of course, you don't get "that EQ" which, while not for everything, is certainly more than a little bit useful on many things, to me.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

scullyfan

Platinum Blonde

#12 [url]

Jun 20 15 9:06 PM

compasspnt wrote:
Riding or push?

Both are push, one is self-propelled. I got a call from a Greek Orthodox monastery about the mowers and they sent a guy to look at them. They are picking them up next Friday.

The monastery is kind of interesting in that they have a recording system using Logic X and the Waves bundle. They have a U67, C414ULS, KM184, Royer 121 & 122, EV 666, SM56 and AKG D1000E. The guy running it is my old studio partner.

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#13 [url]

Jun 21 15 7:45 AM

I've only sold gear to "survive" the music "industry" over the years. A ton of it and some pieces I wished I'd never had to sell. I know in the end probably everything will be gone trying to survive the next 10 to 15 years in this business. Oh well, you do what you have to do to survive.

In the end if I just end up with my bass I'll be happy (provided my arthritis still allows me to play it). Of course I'll always have some kind of iPad or tablet that will be my "whole recording studio" hooked up to my B&W speakers in the living room of our beach home😎

Quote    Reply   

bigbone

Platinum Blonde

#14 [url]

Jun 21 15 12:24 PM

As Larry said, i sold a few thing to " survive " ,but i keep what i need to record my thing,
And like i said, if you drive a cab, you don't need a bus, you know what i mean..........

JN

Quote    Reply   

duskb

Platinum Blonde

#15 [url]

Jun 24 15 10:02 AM

compasspnt wrote:
Dusk, maybe the 7th Circle "Neves"?

Thanks for the suggestion. I have not tried them. Are they direct install into a desk?

----
Dusk Bennett
Engineering/Production/Educator
Los Angeles Ca
Award Winning Engineering
www.duskbennett.com

Quote    Reply   

scullyfan

Platinum Blonde

#20 [url]

Jun 24 15 6:50 PM

Wow, I'm using a different computer, in a different city, with a different ISP and I still can't get it to work.

... it must be me.

(EDIT - - - after a couple of painfully slow "Unable to find page" notifications and a reload thrown in for good measure, I can now get there. Sometimes the PRW site is real snappy when I log on, sometimes it seems like it is really struggling to go from one forum to another, with streams of dots running cross the bottom of the screen for 20-30 seconds before it finishes loading or I reload the site from favorites just to see if that will speed things up. I'm running Windows 8.1 here but I was having the same issue earlier today with my other laptop, which has XP Professional. All good now, however.)

Last Edited By: scullyfan Jun 24 15 6:59 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help