weedywet

Ruby Baby

Lead

Jun 24 15 1:08 PM

Tags : :

So general question

if I'm doing a live (for TV) recording set up and we plan to do it in pro tools

What do people do for redundancy/safety?

two completely redundant computers and rigs?
and if so, where do you 'split'?

after the mic pres but before the duplicated a-d?
or could one split from the a-d to two DAWs?

thanks for any input 
(except I'm not interested in 'don't use pro tools', no matter how well intentioned!)

Quote    Reply   

weedywet

Ruby Baby

#2 [url]

Jun 25 15 12:13 AM

thanks
How would the MADI interface connect to each computer?

Perhaps I sholud have said that these will be iMacs with the A-D normally connected via USB or Thunderbolt

Last Edited By: weedywet Jun 25 15 12:18 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

injured ear

Silverado

#5 [url]

Jun 25 15 9:53 AM

Do the iMacs have PCI Express Card slots?
http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/hdspe_madiface.php

If this is a one-off gig, instead of designing your own setup from scratch, why not call the folks from Record Plant Remote or M3 or any number of people who already have these systems (often in a flight pack) and book them for the gig?  Or book me and I'll spec the gear and set it up for you.

Greg Thompson

www.injured-ear.com

Last Edited By: injured ear Jun 25 15 9:56 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

dave harrison

Gold Finger

#6 [url]

Jun 25 15 9:57 AM

It depends how redundant you want to be... If you just want redundant computers, Dante is a great system and very easy to deploy using off-the-shelf networking components and cabling.  We use a Yamaha console with Dante cards into a switch, then to two laptops for recording... works a peach! Here is a recent set-up using an LS9 with Protools on one laptop and Nuendo Live on the other:

This set-up was used for the Hunter Hayes One2One show for CMT Canada. 
We use the console to create a live mix for the editors so they have something other than camera mic's to listen to while editing.  If everything goes sideways, there is always the mix on camera to fall back on. The camera distribution mixer and return monitoring stuff is missing from this pic. Time code distro is under the table. We also use bus powered hard drives from G-Drive. This whole rig (including snake runs and splits) fits into my Toyota Matrix...

http://www.cmt.ca/artist/hunter-hayes/video/hunter-hayes-one-2-one  (I appologize for the sound on the show, the compression for streaming KILLED the audio... sounds like it's under water)

You can omit the console if you want and use the Focusrite RED boxes suggested above, or the Yamaha RIO boxes (which are an easy rent in major centres):

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/northamerica/en_us/products/interfaces/rio/index.jsp

The RIO boxes sound quite good and you can access the head amps remotely from the laptops using the remote program from Yamaha.  This allows the head amp control to be sent down the Dante line.  If you want more redundancy, get an additional RIO box and an extra analog split and you have two completely separate systems.

Quote    Reply   

weedywet

Ruby Baby

#7 [url]

Jun 25 15 11:54 AM

Thanks for all the help

there are NO slots in an iMac
just thunderbolt and USB 

its ta an ongoing situation. Not a one off. 

Part of the point here is that I want control over the artistic decision aspects including the A-D choice.

if there was a way to go from the Antelope Orion digitally to rednet that would be interesting. 
I am less interested in using focusrite's a-d

And again, I can only 'talk to' the iMac via those two types of standard computer ports. 

Quote    Reply   

darin k

Gold Finger

#8 [url]

Jun 25 15 12:26 PM

The Orion can output both USB & MADI simultaneously, correct? So you'd just use the USB out for computer #1 and MADI out to some sort of MADI interface for computer #2. RME MADIface XT is USB 3 while MADIface USB is USB 2, I think.

Darin K.

Quote    Reply   

weedywet

Ruby Baby

#10 [url]

Jun 25 15 3:52 PM

question:

let's say the primary DAW Macintosh fails utterly, does that take down the Orion as well (if the Orion software controller is on one machine?)

Quote    Reply   

zakco

Platinum Blonde

#11 [url]

Jun 25 15 5:48 PM

weedywet wrote:
question:

let's say the primary DAW Macintosh fails utterly, does that take down the Orion as well (if the Orion software controller is on one machine?)
When working with computer connected converters,  it's not truly redundant when split post A/D. While it may be unlikely, it's totally possible that a software problem will take down (or at least cause a momentary glitch) to connected A/D devices.

I guess it depends on the importance of the gig and your personal tolerance for risk...

Last Edited By: zakco Jun 25 15 6:08 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

petehanlon3

Tin Man

#19 [url]

Dec 17 15 10:15 PM

Very late reply but it's great if the console has FireWire/usb outs. Venue does even the x32 does. It's nice to just bring another laptop/ iMac and a hard drive as a backup. Usually doesn't sound as good but hopefully you never have to use it. 

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help