mario i

Platinum Blonde

Lead

Jul 7 15 10:37 AM

Tags : :

Hey folks, 

Just thought I'd share in case it could be of interest to anyone...

A friend of a friend just picked up the small Yamaha TF1 console (normally for live use). 
I was intrigued by it since I haven't heard of this model.

I think he's using it as a Studio Controler and get extra inputs (haven't talked to him about it yet)
but perhaps in Live situations as well when he plays small venues he can easly set up mixes and monitors.

Looking into it I noticed the TF3 and TF5 models as well...

I must say they look like quite the peice of kit. Full FX, EQ per channel, 31band Graphics for Live monitors.
And it's got a full 34x34 ch USB computer interface...wow.

Anyone have experience with this model?

M
Quote    Reply   

tb av

Platinum Blonde

#1 [url]

Aug 29 15 8:52 PM

For less money you could get more board in a Behringer X32. People can say what they will about Behringer but I think if you put those two boards side by side and ignored the name but compare features and sound, I think most would pick the X32.

Tons of I/O, apps for editing and control, built-in 2 track USB stick recording. 32ch i/o to PC, save all your shows an venues, some nice built-in FX, DCAs, huge color display with an RTA, lots of color coded buttons so you see at a glance what you have going on.

Some good knowledgeable people on the forum too and especially a couple guys that have made some nice free apps.... plus it's a control surface for DAWs like Reaper... I guess it will do PT as well.

I bought one and had previously had an 01V96v2... the 01V96 is not even close. I had all my mics and and stuff hooked up, made a bunch of cables, was getting ready to connect it to Reaper, had it connected to my Router via cat5 and BANG!!! lightening strike. Took out all my network stuff and the board.

It's not real heavy, but not as easily portable as that FS1, but way more expandable. You should check out YTube there are a ton of vids and it seems like every time I turn around, another band is using one for something.

It also seems way more intuitive to me than Yamaha as well.

ETA: ,, and I should say my opinion is from the home recording music addiction point of view and not pro. But I would recommend it to any young band on a budget and plans to grow.... just don't let it get struck by lightening otherwise it has a 3 year warranty.

Last Edited By: tb av Aug 29 15 8:56 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

John Eppstein

Platinum Blonde

#2 [url]

Aug 30 15 2:10 AM

tb av wrote:
For less money you could get more board in a Behringer X32. People can say what they will about Behringer but I think if you put those two boards side by side and ignored the name but compare features and sound, I think most would pick the X32.

Tons of I/O, apps for editing and control, built-in 2 track USB stick recording. 32ch i/o to PC, save all your shows an venues, some nice built-in FX, DCAs, huge color display with an RTA, lots of color coded buttons so you see at a glance what you have going on.

Some good knowledgeable people on the forum too and especially a couple guys that have made some nice free apps.... plus it's a control surface for DAWs like Reaper... I guess it will do PT as well.

I bought one and had previously had an 01V96v2... the 01V96 is not even close. I had all my mics and and stuff hooked up, made a bunch of cables, was getting ready to connect it to Reaper, had it connected to my Router via cat5 and BANG!!! lightening strike. Took out all my network stuff and the board.

It's not real heavy, but not as easily portable as that FS1, but way more expandable. You should check out YTube there are a ton of vids and it seems like every time I turn around, another band is using one for something.

It also seems way more intuitive to me than Yamaha as well.

ETA: ,, and I should say my opinion is from the home recording music addiction point of view and not pro. But I would recommend it to any young band on a budget and plans to grow.... just don't let it get struck by lightening otherwise it has a 3 year warranty.

It does appear that Behringer has upped their game considerably on their larger consoles since acquiring Midas. I"m not a fan of digital consoles in general but I've been hearing a lot of good things about the Behringer X32 as a console for smaller venues. I've also been hearing that Behringer has a remote preamp/digital snake option for this console.

I'm not generally a fan of much Yamaha audio gear, never have been.

Last Edited By: John Eppstein Aug 30 15 2:14 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

jaykadis

Platinum Blonde

#3 [url]

Aug 30 15 10:46 AM

For a little more money, the Midas M32 provides more robust hardware with the same digital flexibility as the X32. I might well have considered the TF series had it been available when we bought the Midas. We use the DM2000 in our main studio and it's great. I am a fan of Yamaha gear, audio and musical instruments as well.

Quote    Reply   

tb av

Platinum Blonde

#4 [url]

Aug 30 15 11:04 AM

Yes, there is complete digital interface on the X32 for remote digital snake. At the same time, if you don't use that snake port physically, it can still be used digitally to route signals.

Each channel has a "channel strip'.. gate, comp, eq, trim, etc... but then there is more elaborate set of FX. Using the Segment of the board primarily intended for the remote i/o can be re-routed to get you both 'channel strip' and extended FX. The reason that is nice is because the channel actually records dry so you can send dry and FX to your DAW on two separate outs

This is the box you are speaking of though and I'm not sure but B also makes a Rack mount X32.. no faders... I believe it does nearly everything the X32 does and I think guys buy that, plus this P16 and then mix on an iPad.

I was watching a guitar rig rundown the other day for Blackberry Smoke and they had an X32 sitting among all their stage gear. Living Colour uses one, seems like lots of churches use them.

They also make two other sizes with faders that are smaller The Compact and Producer.and I believe they retain a lot of the overall features with simply less physical/virtual I/O.

Last Edited By: tb av Aug 30 15 11:20 AM. Edited 3 times.

Quote    Reply   

tb av

Platinum Blonde

#5 [url]

Aug 30 15 11:24 AM

here is the compact. he has another video showing routing, but every time I try to post a link, my other links disappear.

Quote    Reply   

tb av

Platinum Blonde

#6 [url]

Aug 30 15 11:28 AM

jaykadis wrote:
For a little more money, the Midas M32 provides more robust hardware with the same digital flexibility as the X32.

That's more than a littel more money isn't it? I know it uses the same firmware and I believe where the X32 segments some patching to grounps of 8 the M32 can do individual channels but aren't you talking about $2K vs $4K.

Quote    Reply   

jaykadis

Platinum Blonde

#7 [url]

Aug 30 15 3:12 PM

tb av wrote:

jaykadis wrote:
For a little more money, the Midas M32 provides more robust hardware with the same digital flexibility as the X32.

That's more than a littel more money isn't it? I know it uses the same firmware and I believe where the X32 segments some patching to grounps of 8 the M32 can do individual channels but aren't you talking about $2K vs $4K.

When I compare what you get for the money now versus 20-30 years ago it is all just a little money now - I think the Tascam M-35 in the early '80s was about the same price as the X32.

I think it is worth the extra cost if you want something that is going to last - we use some Behringer gear and it works but isn't always reliable and we figure spares into the price. For single users, the X32 would likely be fine.

Quote    Reply   

tb av

Platinum Blonde

#8 [url]

Aug 31 15 12:31 AM

Oh right... I was thinking one person one board. I have noticed that several people with some version of the X32 or several of them also have a M32. I forgot you were a professor and relative budgets. I used to try to help some friends out that would spend a fortune on HP scientific gear, connect a PC to it, and wouldn't budget a couple hundred dollars for a UPS. I still can't reason that one. It was like planned failure at great expense... and they did fail.

Quote    Reply   

mario i

Platinum Blonde

#9 [url]

Sep 2 15 5:29 PM

Thanks gents.

Not there to purchase anything for the foreseeable future, but if I was would def take a step up from Behringer
and go Yamaha or Midas.

One theatre I do live sound recently got a Behringer X32 when the house techs are doing simple shows and can make adjustments with the iPad.
Last time I was there I went with the analogue Midas Verona.

Someone else I know who runs a medium sized sound company just got one…. still the road case looks more appealing than the console.
Just looks and feels not up to snuff…

It might be great for fixed installations.
I'm still not crazy about scrolling through menu's during live, especially on an unfamiliar console with a small screen.

I did however wind up mixing live and recording on PT10 2 weeks ago. It took a little getting used to, but it went well.
Add an iPad and get the PT app…could be a pretty tidy setup.

M

Quote    Reply   

mario i

Platinum Blonde

#10 [url]

Sep 10 15 2:36 PM

I just saw the Soundcraft Si Impact and it looks pretty impressive.
Will have to try it out at some point... but still don't see myself buying anything just yet.

M

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help