paulyd

Gold Finger

Lead

Jul 14 15 2:35 AM

Tags : :

This record is from 2010 but I love the retro drum sound. The drums are dark and mono but they're pleasant and nothing is missing. You can hear every hit. They're reminiscent of an early Beatles record. I wonder if they were recorded with just a single ribbon placed in just the right spot. 

[url=
Quote    Reply   

tim halligan

Platinum Blonde

#2 [url]

Jul 14 15 12:59 PM

That interview - well the bit of it that I can see - is yet another example of the cult of the amateur.

This DIY attitude is extremely prevalent here in Perth...because there's no record company scouts here, therefore no producers, no serious "for hire" studios. They are all owner/driver places, and you won't get the owner out of the chair... 

I saw TI live years ago...by accident.

They were horrible.

Truly awful.

Apparently they are better now.

The indi radio stations and press get positively tumescent about them.

I can't see the attraction myself...but then again, I remember 70's psychedelica from the first time around.

Cheers,
Tim

An analogue brain in a digital world

Quote    Reply   

darin k

Gold Finger

#3 [url]

Jul 14 15 4:40 PM

It sounds like they were put off "real" studios by an engineer or producer who was dogmatic about the how the music should sound rather than trying to figure out what the band really wanted. If that experience had been a positive collaboration instead, then I'm sure their attitude would be different, too.

Darin K.

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#4 [url]

Jul 14 15 5:26 PM

Well, look at the article - he was recording stuff with a boom box early on, doing sound on sound. Got Cakewalk when he was 14. It's fairly possible nowadays to have roughly as much time on your instrument as some kind of recording system. Maybe more likely than not.

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#5 [url]

Jul 14 15 5:32 PM

A little OT, but on the "modern psychedelic" part of the topic, the Django Django self titled record released within the last couple years has a few good moments, some interesting sounds.

Quote    Reply   

chrisfargre

Silverado

#6 [url]

Jul 14 15 5:43 PM

I really like Innerspeaker and Dave Fridmann did a great job mixing it considering how it was recorded.
The second album Lonerism sounds like they improved their recording skills, but I find it much less interesting overall.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help