paulyd

Gold Finger

Lead

Oct 28 15 1:39 AM

Tags : :

I haven't posted much music on SoundCloud but when I have, I thought it sounded really bad. There is no getting around the fact the music is going to get converted to a lossy streaming format but I know I've heard stuff on SoundCloud that wasn't horrible. After doing some research, I found out SoundCloud's conversion algorithm adds 2.7 dB of gain... So, if you're doing DIY mastering, I suggest mastering as though you're going to distribute CDDA or PCM but create a second version with the peak limiter set to -3 dBFS for uploading to SoundCloud. I tried it today and it makes a noticeable difference. If your stuff is already mastered, you can adjust the gain in the audio software of your choice before uploading to SoundCloud. And yeah, I know, I need to get with the program and use Bandcamp or Topspin...but I hope this helps. 

Paul 
Quote    Reply   

waltzmastering

Platinum Blonde

#1 [url]

Oct 29 15 8:46 PM

I usually try to encourage clients to keep things more dynamic and the ceiling lower (at least -.5dBfs to -1dBfs) for stuff destined for youtube and soundcloud and the like as well.
I know soundcloud converts/plays 128kbps mp3. Sometimes clients will send SC links for a ref which I hate because it won't run on my studio computer_not that I've really tried or want it to.

Quote    Reply   

paulyd

Gold Finger

#2 [url]

Nov 1 15 5:24 PM

Something else I've noticed with SoundCloud: The sound is better a day or two after files have been uploaded. Apparently they give you a quick and dirty version almost immediately but the file continues to be optimized in the background for awhile. If you're trying to make a first impression on SoundCloud, I suggest uploading files as private tracks and letting them sit on the server for a day or two before making them public.

Paul

Quote    Reply   

waltzmastering

Platinum Blonde

#3 [url]

Nov 2 15 8:52 AM

You can also give permission to make the tracks downloadable (free) in the format that you upload them, which should be lossless.
With Bandcamp you can sell music and it will handle 24bit uploads and downloads (when selling) but converts to 128 kbps for streaming.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help