yz

Aqua Marine

Lead

Nov 4 15 12:46 PM

Tags : :

I need to check and maybe do some quick tweaking to a bunch of MIDI files, so I'm looking for a freeware alternative. Ages ago I had a registered copy of the venerable Cakewalk 3 - the old windows 3.1 version that actually ran very well and accepted the INS definition file for my SC88... but now, several PCs later, I can't locate the disks. Oh, and if I found them, my current PC has no floppy drive...

Requirements: needs to be able to drive two MIDI interfaces (32 channels) and manage System Exclusive messages.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Quote    Reply   

John Eppstein

Platinum Blonde

#1 [url]

Nov 6 15 5:53 AM

yz wrote:
I need to check and maybe do some quick tweaking to a bunch of MIDI files, so I'm looking for a freeware alternative. Ages ago I had a registered copy of the venerable Cakewalk 3 - the old windows 3.1 version that actually ran very well and accepted the INS definition file for my SC88... but now, several PCs later, I can't locate the disks. Oh, and if I found them, my current PC has no floppy drive...

Requirements: needs to be able to drive two MIDI interfaces (32 channels) and manage System Exclusive messages.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Get an outboard floppy drive with USB connectivity. Should be able to get one for around $35-$50.

Quote    Reply   

yz

Aqua Marine

#2 [url]

Nov 6 15 9:27 AM

John Eppstein wrote:

Get an outboard floppy drive with USB connectivity. Should be able to get one for around $35-$50.

Gotta first find my original Cakewalk 3 install diskettes! If not, then those $35-50 would be better used by rewarding the programmer of a newer sequencer :)

Quote    Reply   

yz

Aqua Marine

#3 [url]

Nov 7 15 3:58 AM

update: Cakewalk 3.0 won't run on Windows 10. Even on Windows95 compatibility mode.

pity, the UI was basic and ugly but all the functionality I needed was there, and TBH for MIDI-only work it was way better than all the newer alternatives (commercial, not free/shareware) that I tried for years after my original purchase. The others had awesome-looking UIs but not as fast and practical.

will search for newer freewares, perhaps Sourceforge will be of help.

Quote    Reply   

John Eppstein

Platinum Blonde

#4 [url]

Nov 7 15 6:54 AM

Too bad.... You could try hitting Goodwill for a legacy computer with XP installed. It's not a bad idea to keep a legacy machine around for those times you run into the need to run an older program, anyway....

Progress.... oh, well.......

Quote    Reply   

yz

Aqua Marine

#6 [url]

Nov 7 15 6:54 PM

compasspnt wrote:
There should be lots of Windows XP machines on the 'bay.

There should be at least one I could cobble up from components right here in my home... and I still have my original Windows XP install disk and license, and that one did run cakewalk 3 IIRC.

But there may be a better solution: Win10 comes with a virtual machine manager so I may be able to create a virtual pc and install XP on it so I can run the mighty old sequencer.

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#7 [url]

Nov 7 15 10:17 PM

qtractor - http://qtractor.sourceforge.net/qtractor-index.html#Downloads

Sekaiju - http://openmidiproject.osdn.jp/Sekaiju_en.html

Can't really vouch for either, but it looks like they might do it?

Maybe Audacity does MIDI too, not sure.

You can also make a sequencer with Pure Data, and there are some tutorials online about it, but I would guess that would be a last resort... though free.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help