scullyfan

Platinum Blonde

#1 [url]

Dec 8 15 6:58 PM

There is a thread about this very subject (somewhere) with a few cautionary notes. For instance, If you intend to have outside clients using your studio make sure you meet appropriate zoning requirements for the neighborhood (parking, noise, etc.). Business ventures are usually frowned upon in residential neighborhoods if there are a lot of people coming and going whilst making noise in the wee hours of the night. The building inspector in my community didn't like the fact that the restrooms were in a different building than the studio, but there is usually a 'Variance' or 'Conditional Use' process that one can pursue to get on the right side of the law. If you are going to just have an occasional jam session in the garage with some buddies you probably don't need to worry about anything. Maybe you have considered all of this, but it bares mention for those who have not. It's just unfortunate when someone spends a bunch of money to live their dream only to find city hall breathing down their back.

Quote    Reply   

adam brown

Gold Finger

#2 [url]

Dec 9 15 1:13 PM

30 years

Been waiting a long time. It's going to be primarily for my personal use, but, I'm not sure yet what the layout will be. It has occurred to me to just make up a room for tracking some and mix control, and thats it.

Quote    Reply   

adam brown

Gold Finger

#3 [url]

Dec 9 15 6:52 PM

Found a nice place

Possibly its the one. It has 1 big bedroom and an adjoining smaller bedoom that could be assigned permanent recording space, but they are upstairs rooms. House is in a nice neighborhood too. Offer is in for it.
Oh, Oklahoma City area if anyone was wondering, between OKC and Moore.

It's just too much for me to give up finacially to leave Oklahoma. So previously mentioned KC is out, and Nashville is out. Oh well.

Last Edited By: adam brown Dec 9 15 11:58 PM. Edited 3 times.

Quote    Reply   

adam brown

Gold Finger

#5 [url]

Dec 11 15 10:58 AM

The house

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpg/566aed7b297d06.02250303_t.jpg

If this will work, this is the place, my new house. As I mentioned the primary recording space will be upstairs bedrooms, but the lower floor is all tile. The living room has a wide brick fireplace floor to ceiling, with built in book shelves either side. I haven't yet been able to check but I suspect potential for some interesting/useful acoustics down stairs. Perhaps a makeshift quasi reverb chamber.

Quote    Reply   

adam brown

Gold Finger

#8 [url]

Dec 15 15 10:53 PM

Thanks

Did the inspection today. I didn't. Some guys did.

While that was being done I walked through the house checking how it sounded in the various areas and rooms.

Using layman's terms, and not any measuring device other than my ears, this is what I got using my own voice, clapping my hands, and whistling:
What I intend to be the primary live room actually doesn't sound so bad as is. It has a nice short, even decay without any slap back as I expected it to have, and no boominess it seemed. The floor is carpet. Walls and ceiling are textured
dry wall. It's got sweet spots for sure. It won't need much, but some acoustic treatment I'm guessing to get a good balance sound out of. It is rectangle shaped. I didn't get physical measurements. It doesn't have a higher than standard ceiling but floor space is more than enough room for an 8 piece drum set to fit in, and have space to walk all the way around it without turning sideways to get by. I don't have an 8 piece drum set. Just an example. I think drums, guitars, acoustic or electrofied, and vocals are going to sound really good in there. Horns too I imagine.

The space I would of thought would make for good ambient acoustics, by the big fireplace is disappointing. It seems kind of dry, which was shocking to me, since it's a big brick fireplace and a tile floor. As it turns out, it's the dinning room that provides a good sounding lively reverb, but not overly so. It's rectangular in shape, tile floor, textured dry wall, and 1 extra large window.

Will try getting pix as things move along.

Last Edited By: adam brown Dec 15 15 10:58 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

adam brown

Gold Finger

#9 [url]

Dec 19 15 12:49 PM

Things are going good for getting the house...

But spending money is going to be a problem, perhaps. Looks like I will have to start out with a Roland Porta Studio, and later on get an isa828 maybe, or the Daking 4pre. I already have a Daking single channel pre. It's got plenty of gain but I'm not sure it's a fit for the ribbon mics I want to use more than anything else. Beautiful with dynamics though. Worked really nice on a live sound check I did with the ak47 mkII I had. Traded it in on the UM70/v692. Ive also got an R84DJV, and a TAB/Funkenwerked 57. Couple of Accusound Silver mic cables too. I got all that years ago, but never used it when cash flow disappesred, and I gave up on having a studio.

Anyway there were some issues needed fixing on the house. Nothing major. Asked seller to fix them. Haven't heard back, which I guess means they're going to. Time drags on at this point.

Quote    Reply   

adam brown

Gold Finger

#11 [url]

Jan 10 16 2:18 PM

Waiting on closing

Jan 18th is supposed to be the day.
Took some measurements this past Friday.
For better or worse, intended tracking room: 13'3"×19'3"×8'0".

Intended control room: 11'0"×13'7.5"×8'0"

The ceilings are 8', but I think I can work with that. If I win the powerball, I will build a place a bit larger maybe.

Quote    Reply   

adam brown

Gold Finger

#12 [url]

Jan 10 16 8:40 PM

Houston we have a problem.

It may have come a glitch. Perhaps having been cosigner on a car for my girlfriend will lose me/us, this house. Fucking VA. Will know more tomorrow.

Quote    Reply   

adam brown

Gold Finger

#14 [url]

Jan 11 16 8:26 AM

What my loan officer is telling me is they, the VA, basically don't want me to have anything of substance on my credit report, no matter that it represents good/excellent credit. Furthermore they already know my car is paid off, as of 3 or so months ago. They know my girlfriend has made every payment on her car for over a year, never late, not once. They know I can afford the house by myself. They know with combined income, my girlfriend and I can way more than afford the house. Makes zero sense.

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#16 [url]

Jan 11 16 10:28 AM

silvertone wrote:
I feel for you Adam.

Since the bank failure of 2008, even though WE bailed them out, loans have become difficult for the average middle class person. Even though my wife and I have over 500k in equity in our house and have paid off 6 mortgages in my lifetime (including the house we live in) they would only give my wife and I 100k last time we went for a loan. Citing "ability to pay" as the reason. Past credit made no difference. If it wasn't for my wife's job they would not have even given us that much.

The banking system sucks more than ever before. Their greed is palpable.

Good luck Adam. Go to a different lending institution, someone will give you the money... but it may cost you a point or two more. Remember: greed is good (for Wall Street and banks).

Geez. You suppose if Trump, with several highly publicized bankruptcies, went looking for money he'd have a problem?

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#17 [url]

Jan 11 16 10:33 AM

Not to get too OT, but after The Apprentice's initial success, Trump came to my hometown to build some condos. Tons of people invested their life savings into it, thinking they would make money.

Of course, the condos never got finished being built and everyone lost their asses except Trump, who I am sure made money, as it turned out that he had been paid to associate his name with the project.

Quote    Reply   

gold

Platinum Blonde

#18 [url]

Jan 11 16 2:02 PM

as it turned out that he had been paid to associate his name with the project.

That's what he does. He doesn't develop most of them. His name is now mud in NYC. I can't see anyone wanting to be associated with him or use his name even if they agree with him. They have to sell apartments to everyone.

A Trump building has a very shiny lobby. They also feature crap construction and crap apartments with high end finishes. All sizzle, no steak.

Quote    Reply   

adam brown

Gold Finger

#19 [url]

Jan 11 16 2:28 PM

I got a call

So my banker calls, says he can fix some numbers in the system. My previous understanding was VA was saying no. Well, it could be a VA computer program. Anyway, he says he can "gross up" my income 15%, and the "system" says approved.
I still don't understand why this is necessary. As I mentioned previously, I've got plenty coming in to afford it by myself.
Ok, so, it's on again. Good grief. I'm trying to get this place more so for my lady.The home studio within, is just bonus, my man cave, ect ect.
I do have some ideas on changing things up a bit, musically. Well let's just wait. Will get to that later. Need to get the place first. Go from there.

Thanks everyone

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help