adam brown

Gold Finger

#21 [url]

Jan 15 16 3:45 PM

Drum set configuration

I don't know why I can't post pix on here, but, like I said, I want to change things up a bit. I've draw out a diagram of the basic layout of the rig I have in mind. Looks like the Ludwig Classic Maple series will fit the bill, though I would like concert toms, but I can manage without them.

Quote    Reply   

adam brown

Gold Finger

#22 [url]

Jan 16 16 2:46 PM

The drawing

Sorry. Have tried to get it right side up, but it keeps going back to as is. Anyway the drums I hear in my head will come from a configuration somewhat like the drawing. Of course there will be some cymbals added, and the remote pedals can be set up to strike percussion of various types, cymbal stacks, bells, cajon, as well as remore hihat, ect. but the inner right one is for the bass drum. The inner left could be too, but 1 is all I need for the 26" bass drum. Off-Set Pedals. They will be the only pedals I use. Also, the 4 snare drums, would be rack mounted, not on traditional tripod stands.
Still waiting on the closing day at this point. Ideas keep coming.
I really need to win the lottery, lol.

Quote    Reply   

adam brown

Gold Finger

#23 [url]

Jan 19 16 5:54 PM

More delay

The personnel being the appraiser, the realtor, the home owner, the sales agent and the lender can't seem to get on the same page. I'm not impressed, and I would fire every one of them if I could.

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#24 [url]

Jan 20 16 4:54 PM

imageLarry, you're talking about "club date" drum kits, right? When I hear "cocktail" drum I think of those drums that look like a floor tom, have a snare under the top head and you hit the bottom with a bass drum pedal.

Last Edited By: seth Jan 20 16 4:57 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

adam brown

Gold Finger

#25 [url]

Jan 21 16 3:45 PM

Thanks guys

It's aggravating. They say one thing, and do another, or nothing. I think the underwriter is retarded. She's asking for info she already has hard copy of. Between her, and the appraiser dragging her feet, my agent is ready to start over with a new lender. I dont disagree. Everything is and has been done and accounted for, 3 weeks, with zero progress basically.

Far as drums, I was always a Tama guy, but I'm wanting to branch out. However, I'm not looking to go traditional in layout exactly. I want to blend sounds, the old, with the current, with my own imagination. It's going to be different, both hands, both feet with access to a spectrum of sounds, and incorporating any imaginable style of music, in an artistically pleasant way.

I dig Gretsch, Ludwig for sure as well as: the list goes on. It might be better to ask what I don't like.

I've just discovered Craviotto. He can build the set I need in all depth and diameters. How am I going to pay for it is the problem.
Kick, 8 toms, 4 snares, plus hardware, and select accoutrements. Geez.

Quote    Reply   

adam brown

Gold Finger

#27 [url]

Jan 21 16 5:44 PM

Eight Is Enough

My musical imagination can make good use of them all. And 6 string bass, 8 string guitar, for starters. But clean, or on the cleaner side of things. This stacking distortion on distortion gives me a headache.

Last Edited By: adam brown Jan 21 16 5:53 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

maarvold

Aqua Marine

#29 [url]

Jan 24 16 5:58 PM

seth wrote:
imageLarry, you're talking about "club date" drum kits, right? When I hear "cocktail" drum I think of those drums that look like a floor tom, have a snare under the top head and you hit the bottom with a bass drum pedal.

Your picture shows what I always understood to be a cocktail drum kit, although I thought it was even more basic than the picture shows... maybe the kick/snare. a hihat and a cymbal (or even no cymbal).    

Quote    Reply   

wireline

Aqua Marine

#30 [url]

Jan 24 16 6:09 PM

I've never seen (or even heard of) anything like that...the compact kits others described is what I've known as cocktail kits for decades, though...

Ken Morgan

Please...Give It A Rest

Quote    Reply   

wireline

Aqua Marine

#32 [url]

Jan 24 16 6:50 PM

Well...Wiki certainly is unimpeachable. (said no one...ever)

I've never seen a configuration like that until this thread...but I do live under several layers of rock...thanks

Ken Morgan

Please...Give It A Rest

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Jan 24 16 8:50 PM

Traps, baby! ;-)

I have seen/heard of the cocktail kit pictured above. The earliest was in a Ludwig catalog when I was a kid. Always thought it was the funniest thing...

"Real People, Real Performances."

Quote    Reply   

podgorny

Platinum Blonde

#36 [url]

Jan 24 16 11:30 PM

Ken, I'm not sure where you're headed with the cocktail weenie joke or the comment about wikipedia, but suffice to say, the thing which is shown above is known as a cocktail kit. The compact kits you refer to are colloquially known as jazz or "bop" kits.

Quote    Reply   

podgorny

Platinum Blonde

#37 [url]

Jan 24 16 11:34 PM

adam brown wrote:

Adam, Craviotto's drums are IMHO the finest drums made. Ever. They are a joy to tune, and a joy to record. 

Quote    Reply   

wireline

Aqua Marine

#38 [url]

Jan 25 16 6:51 AM

Not going anywhere, man...just observing 1) how terminology develops from those around us...2) some trust Wiki as far as we can throw a truck...3) this topic is way too serious all of a sudden.

I still have never seen a kit like that outside this thread...doesn't make me a bad person - makes me someone who plays with drummers who have adequate transportation for a full kit or the now know as jazz kits (which will still be called cocktails in this part of the country...as that is what those that play them refer to them as...)

Everyone is so tense these days

Ken Morgan

Please...Give It A Rest

Quote    Reply   

podgorny

Platinum Blonde

#39 [url]

Jan 25 16 11:57 AM

There were many terms used in certain parts of the world in the 1950s and 1960s, which if used today would cause confusion and in some cases, even anger. Like the thread where the finer points of the definition of "dynamic microphone" were debated, I find it's best to accept the de-facto definition for the sake of being understood by others (which is really the point of communication, after all).

Quote    Reply   

wireline

Aqua Marine

#40 [url]

Jan 25 16 12:30 PM

We were - you changed what was defacto..

Enough of that...they are little drums...everyone happy now? DAMN!

Ken Morgan

Please...Give It A Rest

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help