jesse decarlo

Platinum Blonde

#41 [url]

Jan 25 16 12:46 PM

Just to add a data point: those odd, vertical bass drum kits are familiar to me as cocktail kits, and I've even done a couple of gigs where the drummer was playing one. However, I have also done gigs at which the drummer said he was bringing a cocktail kit, and what he meant was a small but conventional bass drum with hi-hat, snare and no toms.

Then there was the time the drummer said he'd bring a cocktail kit and a shaker, and he showed up with this:

Quote    Reply   

jesse decarlo

Platinum Blonde

#42 [url]

Jan 25 16 12:53 PM

By the way... not to drag this out any further, but if you do a Google image search for "cocktail drum kit," the results point pretty solidly in one direction.

Quote    Reply   

adam brown

Gold Finger

#45 [url]

Jan 25 16 9:49 PM

compasspnt wrote:
Sounds interesting.

And only 5-6 toms too many!

Ok so on your recommendation, I will cut it to 5 toms, and 3 snare drums. Well actually, I've decided to save money. Turns out Craviotto is mighty proud of his drums. I guess they aren't made in China.

Quote    Reply   

podgorny

Platinum Blonde

#46 [url]

Jan 25 16 10:10 PM

adam brown wrote:

compasspnt wrote:
Sounds interesting.

Ok so on your recommendation, I will cut it to 5 toms, and 3 snare drums. Well actually, I've decided to save money. Turns out Craviotto is mighty proud of his drums. I guess they aren't made in China.

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#47 [url]

Jan 25 16 10:24 PM

podgorny wrote:
There were many terms used in certain parts of the world in the 1950s and 1960s, which if used today would cause confusion and in some cases, even anger. Like the thread where the finer points of the definition of "dynamic microphone" were debated, I find it's best to accept the de-facto definition for the sake of being understood by others (which is really the point of communication, after all).

I guess the point I was attempting to make was lost, which is that there are sonic similarities among all types of dynamic, moving coil and ribbon...that they belong to a larger family. Anyway, no big deal, I'm sure it's not the first time I've made no sense to someone on the internet.

Quote    Reply   

adam brown

Gold Finger

#48 [url]

Jan 26 16 5:31 AM

podgorny wrote:
adam brown wrote:

compasspnt wrote:
Sounds interesting.

Very nice. Those probably cost more than my 1st house. Perdy.

I won't need the extra bass drum.

Thanks

Quote    Reply   

John Eppstein

Platinum Blonde

#49 [url]

Jan 26 16 7:02 PM

maarvold wrote:

seth wrote:
imageLarry, you're talking about "club date" drum kits, right? When I hear "cocktail" drum I think of those drums that look like a floor tom, have a snare under the top head and you hit the bottom with a bass drum pedal.

Your picture shows what I always understood to be a cocktail drum kit, although I thought it was even more basic than the picture shows... maybe the kick/snare. a hihat and a cymbal (or even no cymbal).    

This is the type of kit I remember seeing listed in the Ludwig catalog as a "cocktail kit" in the '60s. I also remember seiing one in person in the cocktail lounge attached to a restaurant I ate at with my parents one time when we were on vacation - I think we were visting my aunt in Pontiac, Michigan. It stuck in my mind because I remember thinking how weird it looked. AFAIK the common name for a standard 4 piece at that time was a "trap kit".

Quote    Reply   

scullyfan

Platinum Blonde

#50 [url]

Jan 26 16 9:48 PM

We used to call the standard four or five piece kits 'trap sets' in the late '60s, the difference usually being an extra rack tom for the five piece set. I thought a cocktail set was the kind that inebriated guest musicians spilled their mixed drinks on.

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#51 [url]

Jan 26 16 10:08 PM

I remember seeing a Stray Cats concert special where for part of the set, the drummer used the vertical snare/kick cocktail drum kit. It was really badass - that part of the show came off great, wish I could have seen it live.

Quote    Reply   

adam brown

Gold Finger

#52 [url]

Jan 27 16 9:43 PM

How did they do it?

gtoledo3 wrote:
I remember seeing a Stray Cats concert special where for part of the set, the drummer used the vertical snare/kick cocktail drum kit. It was really badass - that part of the show came off great, wish I could have seen it live.

They were not mainstream, but they were mainstream in their day, and unique in all comparison to their contemporaries.

Quote    Reply   

hallams

Platinum Blonde

#53 [url]

Jan 29 16 8:39 PM

Well, inspired by this thread i googled cocktail guitar......... 3D printed ! Cheers and have a good weekend.

Hallamsound Productions.

Quote    Reply   

John Eppstein

Platinum Blonde

#57 [url]

Jan 30 16 3:31 AM

While we're (kinda) on the subject of hand made custom drums, allow me to put in a plug for my drummer, Garry Williasmsw, who owns and operates The San Francisco Drum Company, making really beautiful hand made drums, mostly inspired by vintage designs although he'll build anything to your spec. He's done kits for Asleep At The Wheel asnd quite a few others.

http://www.sfdrumco.com/

Quote    Reply   

Iggick

Silverado

#58 [url]

Jan 30 16 5:59 AM

podgorny wrote:
adam brown wrote:

compasspnt wrote:
Sounds interesting.

Only one splash cymbal?

Quote    Reply   

adam brown

Gold Finger

#59 [url]

Jan 30 16 8:43 AM

John Eppstein wrote:
While we're (kinda) on the subject of hand made custom drums, allow me to put in a plug for my drummer, Garry Williasmsw, who owns and operates The San Francisco Drum Company, making really beautiful hand made drums, mostly inspired by vintage designs although he'll build anything to your spec. He's done kits for Asleep At The Wheel asnd quite a few others.

http://www.sfdrumco.com/

Very interesting. Thanks John.

Quote    Reply   

adam brown

Gold Finger

#60 [url]

Jan 30 16 8:45 AM

That's correct sir

wireline wrote:
You mean...the house now owns you.

Congrats!

But, as far as that's goes, no worries. It's the other part I'm worried about.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help