bigbone

Platinum Blonde

#21 [url]

Dec 30 15 11:46 PM

soapfoot wrote:
You know what, I was probably a bit out of line there. My bad.

I'm about four glasses of wine in, and a little too unfiltered!

Brad

You were not out of line. too many old timer lived in the past and can't look at what happend in the present.

P.S. and i stop counting after four glasses of wine.........

JN

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#22 [url]

Dec 31 15 12:41 AM

On the original article... I didn't know that was a custom Gretsch wrap! I have a very small version of one of those toms with the same wrap on it; so tiny that it has no bottom hoop. But with the parallelogram style Gretsch logo.

Quote    Reply   

extrememixing

Platinum Blonde

#23 [url]

Dec 31 15 8:45 AM

seth wrote:
Bob, do you know how the Basie Decca set from the late 30's would have been recorded? How many mics, which mics?

Now that's just mean spirited!!!  Don't sugar coat it, just call him OLD straight up!

Steve   smiley: eek  smiley: roll

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Dec 31 15 12:25 PM

wireline wrote:
Imagine: minimal mics, bleed, and good recording rooms....

Never did get the opportunity to work in a really great room since I started doing this. The spaces have always had small(ish), isolated rooms and I find I'm always chasing after THAT sound after the fact. So when, or rather IF, I ever get another room going that's exactly what I'm going to aim for. The end of the road isn't too far off, so I might as well go for it. I also kind of like the idea of an 'In House" band available and who knows? It may be just gimicky enough to have fun with for a while. Make it more about the performances and less about the Audio Work Station. Maybe even team up with some local college stations and air a short monthly or weekly segment. 

Sorry to stray OT. My thought turned into a free-association brainstorming session. :-)

"Real People, Real Performances."

Quote    Reply   

spiritwalker

Aqua Marine

#30 [url]

Dec 31 15 1:16 PM

I love big rooms, minimal separation, no headphones and minimal mics. This has been a joy for me the last three years. I hope to do more of it in this coming year.

OK it's cold here

Quote    Reply   

maarvold

Aqua Marine

#31 [url]

Jan 1 16 12:37 AM

Really BIG rooms create their own separation.  I believe it's because the walls aren't bouncing everything back nearly as loudly as they do even in medium big rooms.  

Quote    Reply   

ricupad

New Forum Friend

#32 [url]

Jan 1 16 7:06 AM

maarvold wrote:
Really BIG rooms create their own separation.  I believe it's because the walls aren't bouncing everything back nearly as loudly as they do even in medium big rooms.  

Early in my career, I got to overdub some percussion on a big band album recorded in the rehearsal hall of the Finnish National Opera. The walls were so far away that the microphones didn't pick up any disturbing reflections no matter how loud I played. I think they had just a couple of baffles around the drums for the ensemble recording. Another big space experience was baroque music recorded in a huge cathedral in the north of France - a drum hit would be followed by a " ...hhhhhh..." reverb, rather than distinct reflections bouncing off the walls. The whole ensemble, 8 singers and 6 musicians were recorded with just a B&K stereo pair.

Ricardo

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#34 [url]

Jan 6 16 11:20 AM

bob olhsson wrote:
It's less a matter of room size and more a matter of uncolored reflections. You really want the musicians as close together as possible using mike patterns for separation, Figure-8s are your friends!

wise words.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

fern

Silverado

#35 [url]

Jan 8 16 8:40 PM

compasspnt wrote:
The wallet is one major key to success…the single best snare dampener ever.

You're nuts.  Rock N Roll tape amd paper towels.  Custom sizes; tear the paper towel to be the size you want, use only the amount of Rock Tape you want.  That my friend is how real men do it.  The added bonus?  It looks SO GOOD!!!

Oh, and point the Sennheiser 421 right at the tape.  That's how you get rid of the attack those dang drum-things have.  You're not looking for definition are ya?  Not that I've actually done that.  Accidentally.  In my early days.

-- Greg "Fern" Quesnel

Last Edited By: fern Jan 8 16 8:44 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#37 [url]

Jan 8 16 10:36 PM

Been going with a couple flopping coffee filters, folded in half. One piece of tape down the middle where the fold is, another little one on the corner to keep them stuck together. 

Last Edited By: gtoledo3 Jan 8 16 10:38 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

maarvold

Aqua Marine

#38 [url]

Jan 8 16 11:34 PM

The most fascinating thing I ever heard/read about for damping was this thing that I believe was like a flexible, layered duct tape arm--thick enough to have some stiffness--but still flexible.  At one end I think you put some folded up paper towels with quarters taped inside them, then attach the other end to the side of the tom somehow.  The idea is that the paper towel end sits lightly on the edge of the tom head and damps all the sympathetic ringing when the toms aren't being played (I would call it the "wuh wuh wuh" toms drone).  I guess when you get the gizmo adjusted right, the force of the tom hit bounces the paper towel damper off the head and the stiffness of the layered duct tape arm keeps it from flopping back down for 2, 3 or 4 seconds before it settles back down and again damps the sympathetic tom drone.  I'd love to hear a more detailed (or correct) construction and application description if anybody knows it.  

Quote    Reply   

morespaceecho

Platinum Blonde

#40 [url]

Jan 9 16 1:20 PM

maarvold wrote:
The most fascinating thing I ever heard/read about for damping was this thing that I believe was like a flexible, layered duct tape arm--thick enough to have some stiffness--but still flexible.  At one end I think you put some folded up paper towels with quarters taped inside them, then attach the other end to the side of the tom somehow.  The idea is that the paper towel end sits lightly on the edge of the tom head and damps all the sympathetic ringing when the toms aren't being played (I would call it the "wuh wuh wuh" toms drone).  I guess when you get the gizmo adjusted right, the force of the tom hit bounces the paper towel damper off the head and the stiffness of the layered duct tape arm keeps it from flopping back down for 2, 3 or 4 seconds before it settles back down and again damps the sympathetic tom drone.  I'd love to hear a more detailed (or correct) construction and application description if anybody knows it.  

i can't find it, but a video exists of engineer joel hamilton's home-brew version of this....which if i remember right was just a paper towel with change in it, folded over and taped to the rim. i can't imagine that staying airborne for more than even a second, but it seemed like it worked. 

regarding tom drone, i've done takes of the same song with and without toms on the kit, and cutting from the former to the latter really does sound like you just muted a drone track. it's pretty dramatic. that said, it didn't really seem to make much difference once all the guitars were piled on. 

www.oldcolonymastering.com

morespaceecho.bandcamp.com

Last Edited By: morespaceecho Jan 9 16 1:22 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help