soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#41 [url]

Jan 9 16 2:05 PM

of course, there are always expanders, and in the digital domain, even look-ahead expanders. And manual editing.

Half the time, my favorite drummers will only hit the rack tom like 5 times in the whole song, anyway!

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

bigbone

Platinum Blonde

#42 [url]

Jan 9 16 2:42 PM

soapfoot wrote:

Half the time, my favorite drummers will only hit the rack tom like 5 times in the whole song, anyway!

I made albums that i hit the rack toms less than 5 times........the full Albums.........

JN

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#43 [url]

Jan 9 16 2:46 PM

bigbone wrote:

soapfoot wrote:

I made albums that i hit the rack toms less than 5 times........the full Albums.........

JN

eeeeexxxactly!

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

barry hufker

Diamond Forever

#44 [url]

Jan 9 16 2:57 PM

"I made albums that i hit the rack toms less than 5 times........the full Albums.........

JN"

You missed them that badly?  Work on improving your aim...

Quote    Reply   

bigbone

Platinum Blonde

#45 [url]

Jan 9 16 3:23 PM

barry hufker wrote:
"I made albums that i hit the rack toms less than 5 times........the full Albums.........

JN"

You missed them that badly?  Work on improving your aim...

As soon as you will start impoving your joke.............:)

JN

Quote    Reply   

spiritwalker

Aqua Marine

#49 [url]

Jan 10 16 12:34 PM

Maarvold, sometimes on my drums I use a patch of leather in a similar way to what you describe. I attach it to the rim with a small binder clip (the black ones with chrome arms).
When I hit the snare it flips up and then gently rolls back down onto the skin. Sometimes it is the ticket. Sometimes with bigger snares it's not enough.
I've tried the moon gel stuff but meh. I think you could buy cheap gummy candy from the dollar store and they would do the same thing, with the bonus of a snack when your sugars get low.

OK it's cold here

Quote    Reply   

Mickeyrouse

Silverado

#50 [url]

Jan 10 16 12:44 PM

An old trick in many southern studios is to enhance the thwack of the snare hit with the drummer's wallet. If the sound is still not quite right, remove all currency and give it to the engineer, who will return it...soon.

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#56 [url]

Jan 10 16 8:26 PM

fenris wrote:
I've been using gel window stickers instead of Moongel. Same thing for about 1/10th the price.

Now I want to try one of those gumball machine rubber spiders that you throw against a wall.

Quote    Reply   

maarvold

Aqua Marine

#57 [url]

Jan 10 16 8:40 PM

spiritwalker wrote:
Maarvold, sometimes on my drums I use a patch of leather in a similar way to what you describe. I attach it to the rim with a small binder clip (the black ones with chrome arms).
When I hit the snare it flips up and then gently rolls back down onto the skin. Sometimes it is the ticket. Sometimes with bigger snares it's not enough.
I've tried the moon gel stuff but meh. I think you could buy cheap gummy candy from the dollar store and they would do the same thing, with the bonus of a snack when your sugars get low.

Thanks Norm: that's really interesting.  I'll give it a try.  Are you NAMM'ing?  

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#58 [url]

Jan 10 16 8:45 PM

I know a few drummers that use no damping at all, and find ways to make that really work. A couple guys that are into the New Orleans/zydeco vibe, and a metal drummer. In the capacity of recording people, I always try to remember not to be the doofus that insists on muffling everything when it can be totally inappropriate.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help