soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#1 [url]

Feb 7 16 9:25 AM

I gave a good hard listen. Though granted I'm at home on KRKs (instead of in the studio on the much nicer ATCs) I can't hear much difference (at least not enough to be sure I'm not psyching myself out).

I tried in some decent-ish Audio Technica ATH-M50 cans as well.

Now a drum machine isn't really the most challenging source material to reveal nuance, and I can't speak to whether much nuance might have been lost in the 16/44.1 delivery format, but based on what you've uploaded here my conclusion is that I'd use the one whose handling properties I liked better (i.e. coils easily, etc), or the one that was cheaper, or the one with the more attractive jacket, etc.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

burns46824

Gold Finger

#2 [url]

Feb 8 16 12:07 PM

Fair enough...it seems like the Belden 8218 has a bit more high end response compared to the Mogami Gold.  (It therefore has a slightly higher noisefloor, too.)  Honestly, I'm not sure which is truer to source.  You can actually hear a slight pitch difference between the two, as well.  Seems like Belden is pitched ever so slightly higher!

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#3 [url]

Feb 8 16 12:09 PM

If I bias myself to listen with that in mind, I can sort of hear it... but not drastically enough to be positive that I'm not just hearing it because I've set myself up to expect to.

I'm certain that neither would stop you from making excellent recordings! 

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#5 [url]

Feb 8 16 2:15 PM

compasspnt wrote:
The very last thing to worry about?

I would think so.

I imagine a F1 driver going on a diet with the thought that lighter weight would help win races. 

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

burns46824

Gold Finger

#6 [url]

Feb 8 16 3:19 PM

Well, it is fascinating to hear the differences. The cable going from instrument to preamplifier, one would think, is pretty important!

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#7 [url]

Feb 8 16 3:30 PM

I think it can depend!

In low level hi-Z applications like electric-guitar-to-amplifier, I have certainly heard the impact of different brands of cable very clearly. At line level, or in microphone-to-preamp sorts of applications, it becomes less clear to me (though I've done very little controlled comparison). In speaker applications I've also done very little intentional comparison, but I do know that we switched brands of speaker cable at our studio recently, and some normally-skeptical engineers with good ears claimed to perceive a difference (I was not there for the before-and-after... I can't swear that I would've even noticed the change if not told about it).

In either case, I tend not to fuss about it too much, even with instrument cables. I like Canare GS-6, and that's what I get when I make my own, but will use just about anything of reasonable quality that works if it happens to be nearby, and I can grab it without interrupting creative flow.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

burns46824

Gold Finger

#8 [url]

Feb 8 16 4:18 PM

Fair enough!  Yeah, I'm not too worried about balanced signals...I generally use Mogami for that stuff.  Thank you for your thoughts!

Last Edited By: burns46824 Feb 8 16 4:23 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help