weedywet

Ruby Baby

Lead

Mar 15 16 7:05 PM

Tags : :

An architect is proposing wall mounted HVAC units that claim 20dba noise figures (well, when set to 'low' at least) for use in studios 

anyone here SUCCESSFULLY used, or seen used, this type of unit?

Quote    Reply   

wireline

Aqua Marine

#1 [url]

Mar 15 16 7:43 PM

The only ones I've any experience with that come close to that level are mini split systems, which have the compressor sections outside, with just a low speed fan blowing already chilled air into rooms... these work REALLY well, can be zoned, etc...but have limitations as to how far the run from compressor section to blower sections can be... a bit pricey compared to window units, but a LOT cheaper than central...

Mitsubishi, Gold Star, and others are the more popular brands I know of...and yes, I've seen more than a few in studio applications in Texas.

Ken Morgan

Please...Give It A Rest

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Mar 15 16 7:46 PM

Like those Mitsubishi split units?

The space I rented for 3 years had one. It was pretty quiet on LOW. Never measured it though.

Once the room got to temp at a higher setting, I could turn it down and leave it there. Not so sure how well it would work in a room full of lots of hot gear running.

When editing or mixing it didn't bug me really. When tracking I had to take care a bit with mic placement.

If I were building a more professional room than what I had, I'm not sure I would got with that type of system.

"Real People, Real Performances."

Quote    Reply   

scullyfan

Platinum Blonde

#3 [url]

Mar 15 16 7:53 PM

Mini splits are quiet and keep things cool. My only complaint is that you end up refrigerating 'stale' air instead of 'fresh' air since there is no air exchange between the air in the room and that from the great outdoors, but that is really the only downside. I would add Fujitsu to the brands that Ken mentioned.

Quote    Reply   

jaykadis

Platinum Blonde

#4 [url]

Mar 16 16 11:48 AM

We ran the Mitsubishi units in couple of our smaller rooms. I'm highly suspicious of that 20 dBA figure. We barely measure that in our main studio with an excellent highly tuned AC system.

My main complaint was the condensation that often dripped from the heat exchanger when the drain line clogged up. If you keep the unit clean that won't likely be a problem.

Quote    Reply   

weedywet

Ruby Baby

#5 [url]

Mar 16 16 2:49 PM

thanks for all the feedback... please keep it coming!

so do you, using them, find you CAN leave them on recording a vocal?
especially in a hot climate?

Quote    Reply   

podgorny

Platinum Blonde

#6 [url]

Mar 16 16 3:02 PM

I've had a Panasonic Mini-split and a Mitsubishi "Mr. Slim" unit in different control rooms. The Mitsubishi was the better of the two. As far as noise, they're quiet - well below the noise floor of most control rooms, but I personally wouldn't want one in a recording room. at least not a small one where I was doing vocals/acoustic instruments. It would be fine in a large room, especially if I'm putting gobos around the vocalist.

As has been said already, they do not do air exchange, so I would think of them as a supplemental system (like in a control room/machine room), rather than the primary cooling system.

Kyle Mann :: www.kylemann.com

Quote    Reply   

ryanstreber

Gold Finger

#7 [url]

Mar 16 16 3:29 PM

I'm in the midst of finishing the designs for the systems for my new place, and we're using fujitsu ducted split systems (Fran originally spec'd Mitsubishis, but the mechanical subcon wanted to go with fujitsus and it seems like they're fairly interchangeable in terms of noise and other specs.)

I believe that the idea with these is you get the best of all worlds - they're mini split systems - relatively small, efficient, and affordable - with the condensers placed outdoors, but you can also place the air handler unit outside of the room being treated and run appropriate ductwork to reduce noise further. With a well-implemented system, it should be very quiet. At least that's how I understand it. Not sure if this would be an option for what William has in mind, but just throwing it out there. Of course, my system has yet to be built, so I can't personally comment on its noise level. But Fran claims that he's had good luck with similar systems in other builds.

Quote    Reply   

compasspnt

Diamond Forever

#8 [url]

Mar 16 16 5:57 PM

I use mini splits i most of my rooms. They are definitely "quiet," but often when I am doing softer vocal overdubs, they still make enough noise to hear.

Mine are not "extra ducted" as mentioned above however.

The newest ones I got…and also the best and quietest so far… are Lennox branded, but I'm sure they are made in the same Asian factory whence many others come.

Quote    Reply   

steve hudson.lucasmicrophone

Tin Man

#9 [url]

Mar 22 16 8:39 AM

I've been using a Mitsubishi mini-split in my new all-in-one room, and it's very quiet at the lowest fan speed (Mitsubishi claims it's 19 dB(A)). The room is big enough (380 sf, 3600 cf) that I can place a mic 15+ feet from the AC unit and have no issues.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help