soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#1 [url]

May 28 16 11:23 AM

Yes. They sent me two of their Origin model; I reviewed them for TapeOp. I have not heard the Spirit. I still have the Origin pair I was sent.

As $299 LDCs go, they're probably one of the better ones; they're quite good for the money, I have to say. They are very serviceable and functional, not terribly remarkable sounding in terms of any sort of special character, but rather a good, solid meat-and-potatoes workhorse condenser microphone. In terms of context, I can imagine times where I might choose one over a 414 B-ULS. I'm not sure there are many instances in which I'd pick it over a U87. But at their price, that would hardly be expected.

One of the biggest advantages, to me, is that their headbasket is very rugged and durable. No grille to dent, headbasket is flexible by design. I keep one on a stand at home in my music room at all times. A VERY handy mic for this reason that has made it onto several records on minor parts (or parts that were originally intended to be 'scratch') just by virtue of being the most convenient thing at arm's length.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#3 [url]

May 28 16 12:00 PM

I'd say the low end is a bit 'prettier' than the top end, if that makes sense. At their price, it's worth giving it a shot; if you don't like it you probably wouldn't lose too much by selling it on.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help