gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

Lead

Aug 15 16 6:05 PM

Tags : :

Awhile back I posted about this non tracking search engine. 

In case anyone isn't aware of it, there is also a feature to search other sites, or even search engines.

For example, entering in !g along with your search term, will result in giving you Google's search results! But, since there is no tracking, you won't see targeted ads later on.

https://duckduckgo.com/bang
Quote    Reply   

barry hufker

Diamond Forever

#1 [url]

Aug 15 16 8:54 PM

I went to the site and did a "test" search.  That was interesting.  Then I put "!reddit" in my browser bar and got reddit as a search result.  Is that how it's done or am I missing something?

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#2 [url]

Aug 15 16 9:10 PM

It is especially visually clear on the DuckDuckGo site itself ... if you go to the site, type "!" in the search field, then say... start writing "reddit" you will see that matching "bangs" start filling the auto complete field below. However, the same search will work in the browser bar if you have selected DuckDuckGo as your default search engine. You need to use the bang, then the search term right after.

If you type "!reddit dogs" you will find yourself transported over to Reddit, with the built in Reddit search function showing a search for dogs.

If there isn't an existing "bang", it won't do it though. For example, "!prw tube mics" doesn't yield a PRW search, since no one has set that up (yet).

But this is the real super power of this search engine, in my opinion.

Quote    Reply   

jimlongo

Gold Finger

#4 [url]

Aug 16 16 11:32 PM

I've use Duck Duck Go for quite a while now, but didn't know about this feature.
It's great, there's so many searches that I know google will be better results than DDG, or when I know I want the Wikipedia page . . . this will be very handy, thanks.

But I couldn't see any documentation about the fact you mentioned that you can search Google and not be tracked. it looks to me like you are still using G to search just as if you typed those search terms into their engine. Did you read that somewhere?

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#5 [url]

Aug 17 16 12:15 AM

Good question.

I see that it sends the search over an encrypted SSL layer, and is accessing a google subdomain "encrypted.google.com". I'm fairly sure this prevents other cookies from tracking on the resulting pages, and that ad referrers can only get info if you specifically click and they are using a secure domain themselves... but I'm not sure if google doesn't track on that subdomain. I have been poking around but haven't found the documentation on that point yet (or tested in lieu of a lack of documentation).

Yeah, every so often with more obscure search terms (rare gear mainly), I had been going over to Google. After finding out about this feature, I am happy to be able to do so many searches of various sites straight from DuckDuckGo even if it does pop over to places that have persistent user data.

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#9 [url]

Aug 17 16 2:07 PM

I think Jim was just giving an example that any arbitrary search term could be used(?). Pretty weird search term though! :-)

The !youtube search is something I find I'm using as a shortcut often.

Quote    Reply   

jimlongo

Gold Finger

#10 [url]

Aug 17 16 5:55 PM

Hey it's not weird! It's what happens when you copy paste into a vhosts file and you wonder why apache won't start.

I personally wish they could come up with a shorter !stackoverflow which is the most helpful forum on the internet AFAIC

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#11 [url]

Aug 17 16 6:06 PM

Ha! I was just poking fun.

Pastebin and github are pretty useful for coding stuff too. I'm sure you may already know this. Sometimes I'm surprised how many working methods for various things people have uploaded to pastebin.

Quote    Reply   

jimlongo

Gold Finger

#12 [url]

Aug 17 16 11:59 PM

JSFiddle, Plunker there's so many of these helpful tools, and open source you can adapt for your own purposes.
There's more information, instruction, and tools on the web, about the web and coding, than probably any other profession.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help