chance

Aqua Marine

Lead

Sep 9 16 9:33 PM

Tags : :

Since switching from analog tape to hdr's in 1999, I have been digital. The only thing I have retained is my console. When recording and mixing, I kind of have an intimate relationship with "The Console"
I have tried Reaper and it is very intuitive just like my HDR's and I LOVE plugins but I love my outboard hardware too which is hardwired to my boards patchbay. I know my HDR could go south at any time. It has been 100% faithful since I got it in 1999. This week I was exploring and wetting my appitite with Reaper. The question I have is "How would I integrate my board with Reaper for recording & mixing? I have an Allen & Heath Neve hybrid that has 24 ch of 1073 preamps. Logisticaly, how can this be done? Besides a dedicated computer, what other investment would this require, and how would I integrate my board?

Chance Pataki The Musicians Workshop www.the-musicians-workshop.com musicians.workshop@gte.net

Last Edited By: chance Sep 9 16 9:42 PM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#2 [url]

Sep 10 16 6:40 AM

You would need, the software (which you have, Reaper Pro Tools Logic), the computer (our choice)and a set of A/D D/A converters, in your case at least 24 channels but 32 would be ideal (for send and returns to your outboard analog gear).

The converters are what will get you in and out of the console. You'd use both direct outs and subgroups on the console to send to the rig and then you would need as many lines in to monitor/return.

Just think of the whole computer, software, converters combo as your HDR rig but with many more options for routing ( and recording and mixing).

Figure to spend about twice as much as your HDR rig and you should be just about right. Or buy a slightly used system off someone who bought the whole shooting match a few years ago and decided it was too much. Those are always the best deals to find.

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#3 [url]

Sep 10 16 6:49 AM

podgorny wrote:
How about an older Pro Tools HD rig?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-HD-System-Avid-Digidesign-192-Pro-Tools-HD3-PCIx-HD-8-with-iLok-/301998458315

That's a great deal but certainly not enough in's and out for what Chance has.  You could add more but I myself would want the latest and greatest converters myself.  That said I'm very happy with my Lynx Aurora16VT converters.  What it sounds like going in is what it sounds like coming out.

You could find used Avid, Lynx, Mytek or Antelope converters and any of them would work fine.

Quote    Reply   

chance

Aqua Marine

#4 [url]

Sep 10 16 8:40 PM

As it is now my HDR's are connected via their D-sub I/O's to Elco connectors in the bottom of the consoles patch bay. Man, I am discouraged with all the needed links I would need just to record. Even with any of my HDR's, I could still mix in Reaper if I had to, by sliding out its removable HD, and load the tracks into Reaper but I am spoiled with these dedicated HDR's. Everything in one compact package. I'll have to rethink this

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#5 [url]

Sep 11 16 10:03 AM

All my connections to the Lynx converters are on the same D-sub I/O connectors. Not that uncommon in multiple A/D D/A converters, so you should be okay there.

Your machines won't last forever and you may be forced to go another route. The new Radar systems look great and can hook right up to a computer for mixing and editing (or not). Might give you the best of both worlds.

Quote    Reply   

fenris

Platinum Blonde

#6 [url]

Sep 11 16 11:15 AM

Does the HDR have ADAT Lightpipe I/O? You should be able to use it as an outboard converter. Get some used RME Hammerfall cards on Ebay and an old computer with enough card slots. Some cards are PCI, others are PCIe. For more channels, get 2 or 3 of the same card so they can run under the same driver. A Pentium 4 computer will run Reaper just fine, as long as you're doing the majority of your processing with outboard gear.

Quote    Reply   

logan

Silverado

#7 [url]

Sep 14 16 8:59 AM

I use an SSL alpha link with a madi card that gives me 24 i/o at 96/32 running through Reaper I have 16 inputs wired up to out board pres and 24 outputs wired to my console or I did before the console developed a p[roblem I'm still chasing down. I have now sent the first two out puts to a monitor station and am currently mixing all ITB, Before the console went down I had the best of both worlds all though since the Alpha link doesn't do direct monitering, even sending cue mixes, that generated from the out board pres, through the console gave me a few millisecs of delay on the headphone mixes but it never was a problem. I miss the RME stuff for that reason, it did direct monitering, but I like the sound of the alpha link better and this set has performed perfectly for over four years now. I found I could dial in EQ from the console, a Soundcraft Vienna II, which a very versatle EQ strip and get better results that I could with plugs, but I could also use plugs as well if I wanted to. On final mix I could also better better fader moves than with a mouse in Reaper. I think the console thing only works well if you have a decent amount of I/O. Of course all those out puts are a waste now that I'm working ITB but I can have 12 seperate stereo cue mixes if I wish ;-). Take care, Logan

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help