Doodad64

New Forum Friend

Lead

Sep 22 16 3:49 AM

Tags : : , ,

AKG told me:
"Sorry, but these rubberstrings are not available any more.
You can try to find something similar in a toolshop or a shop for sealings.
Kind regards
Michael Amon
Servicetechnician 
AKG Acoustics GmbH
Professional Division".

Has anyone had any luck replacing AKG D25B suspension shockmount rubber? It'll be a great mic when I can get something for this. I guess there's a bungey cord type of thing that might do - I have some garish hi vis shock cord in the shed... :)
Quote    Reply   

Mike Rivers

Aqua Marine

#1 [url]

Sep 22 16 6:23 AM

Is this it? 

It's not clear from this picture how the rubber "strings" are attached to the frame, but if you can figure that out, you can probalby replace the rubber with a slice of an O-Ring of the appropriate thickness. A real hardware store ("Tool shop or a shop for sealings"), or maybe even Home Depot, usually will have an assortment of different sized O-Rings. Buy a few in the 1.5 to 2.5 inch diameter range and experiment. It won't cost you more than a few dollars. 

Don't buy a whole assortment from some place on line. You'll have a lifetime supply of parts you'll never use. Try to find a shop where you can buy just a few.

For a good time, call mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Quote    Reply   

panman

Gold Finger

#3 [url]

Sep 22 16 7:25 AM

I have done that using rubber, that I bought from a shop specialized in rubber. There is a good one in Bern(CH). Look for a shop like that in your surroundings and buy just what you need.  I would not try O-rings , because the material is usually too stiff. You need a certain elasticity for it to work and also to be able to mount it properly.That`s why you had better to go and choose the rubber in person and not order it online.

Esa Tervala

Quote    Reply   

panman

Gold Finger

#4 [url]

Sep 22 16 7:45 AM

Found some pics, but not from the final outcome. The first one shows how the rubber is mounted. The second shows the new rubbers half mounted.imageimage

Esa Tervala

Quote    Reply   

Mike Rivers

Aqua Marine

#6 [url]

Sep 22 16 12:04 PM

panman wrote:
Found some pics, but not from the final outcome. The first one shows how the rubber is mounted. The second shows the new rubbers half mounted.

I saw the top photo first and couldn't figure out what was rubber and what was metal. It looks like the rubber is crimped inside three metal tubes, the two at the corners and the one attached to the basket. The bottom photo (looks like a different mic) looks more like what I'd expect without the ends attached, and the photo I posted is yet another setup. I agree with Panman that the elasticity is somewhat important, but there's room to experiment, and O-Rings are inexpensive and not too difficult to find over the counter.

Quote    Reply   

panman

Gold Finger

#7 [url]

Sep 22 16 12:35 PM

mikerivers wrote:

Mike, that`s right, the rubbers are crimped inside metal tubes open from the side. Both pics show the same mic. Sure it is nice to experiment, but in this case you cannot crimp the tubes much more than once or they will crack and you have to invent something else to mount the rubbers. Just to clarify, the first pic is with the old rubbers on place and the second pic shows the new rubbers. Your pic appears to show a slightly differend model, because It does not have the bass roll-off button. My guess is that it is an early model. Never saw one before, but I have one D20 which does not have it either. 

Esa Tervala

Quote    Reply   

Mike Rivers

Aqua Marine

#8 [url]

Sep 22 16 2:27 PM

I picked the model that I posted because it looked most like it had suspension bands that were replaceable. The reason why I thought the two you posted were different mics was because of the bushing (or what looks like one) where the cable is coming out of one mic and the lack of it in the other photo. Could be a removable part that had been removed in one photo and replace in the other.

Quote    Reply   

Doodad64

New Forum Friend

#9 [url]

Sep 22 16 6:31 PM

Ok I'll try Fitch The Rubber Man straight away - no re-crimping - great tip. Thanks. If I can solve the shock mount then I'll move on to my second D25B and try and solve why it lacks bottom end...

Quote    Reply   

maarvold

Aqua Marine

#10 [url]

Sep 23 16 9:03 AM

compasspnt wrote:
Jeff Roberts has some excellent (pink) rubber rings.

YES!!  This was the first thing that sprang to mind for me (no pun intended).  I've been using his pink shock mount silicone rubber rings on around 15 shock mounts for over 5 years now and I love them.  And they don't seem to relax their stretch/get saggy.  Also quite durable in my experience.  

Quote    Reply   

panman

Gold Finger

#12 [url]

Sep 23 16 1:51 PM

I need certain types of rubber-rings for my prototype shockmounts. Those rings from Jeff might be something for me. Where can I get them?

Esa Tervala

Quote    Reply   

panman

Gold Finger

#14 [url]

Sep 23 16 2:36 PM

No offence meant Doodad64, but I`d still like to know who you are. As I understand, anonymity is against the forum -rules, so please add you real name either to your postings or your profile!
I also need to advice you against trying to solve the "lacking bass problem" yourself. It is very clear why there is no bass: the diaphragm is not moving freely, because iron particles gathered on top of it around the dome are pressing it down, pulled by the enormous magnet. Most likely the diaphragm is also deformed and need to be formed back to the correct shape. I would go so far as claiming, that all D12- family mics have this problem some more and some less unless they have been refurbished by an expert. Half of these mics that I get to repair have been hopelessly destroyed by self-repair attempts. It does not matter how good a technician you are, because you need to have a lot of experience repairing these mics to know all the lurking traps. Just a well meant warning and not just for you, but in general. 

Esa Tervala

Quote    Reply   

Doodad64

New Forum Friend

#15 [url]

Sep 24 16 2:23 AM

Thanks - good advice. I repaired the thin D25B's  broken HPF selector dial that has had the bakelite chipped from some accident and was permanently stuck in a non contacting position. I wondered if it might be the diaphragm and I knew that wasn't something to attempt myself.

I'm happy with my rubber replacement for now - using 5 mm rubber and I had to release and recrimp the shockmount frames and seem to have gotten away with it.

I'll edit my profile now. 

edit: weird I can't work out how. My profile has my name as Display Name already - I'll try and work out what I've done wrong

Cheers

Martin Davies

Quote    Reply   

chance

Aqua Marine

#17 [url]

Apr 13 17 1:55 PM

I just went out and got some O-rings at "O-rings n Things" and discovered there are some types of O-rings that will retain their shape for years (silicone), and some (Neoprene), if you stretch them, they will stay stretched. Unfortunately the type I needed, only come in Orange.imageimageAnother mic that needs these suspension rings, I can't use O-rings because there are no hooks, only holes where the suspension material went through. Perhaps I can cut a slit to insert these o-rings.
imageimage

Chance Pataki The Musicians Workshop www.the-musicians-workshop.com musicians.workshop@gte.net

Quote    Reply   

shinybox

Tin Man

#18 [url]

Apr 19 17 11:24 AM

I normally use elastic shock cord for this type of replacement .  

The ends can be attatched to each other using super glue, ends covered with heat shrink.  Here the U89 mount I redid this way

ShinyBox Audio www.shinybox.com

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help