soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#21 [url]

Dec 4 16 12:17 AM

compasspnt wrote:
The 200 is a great box. I have three of them.

so do we! plus a pair of 480L (one in each room).

Since the 480L arrived I haven't used the 200s much, but others have.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#22 [url]

Dec 4 16 8:46 AM

First let me say thanks for the info guys.

Second, I have to agree that mixing ITB vs. OTB is no different other than the time it takes. I did this for months before I could bring myself to sell my Electrodyne console. I just had to prove to myself that it was emotion making me hold onto the console. In fact in the long run I felt my work ITB was a hair better. The other thing and I talked to Tchad Blake about it when he went all ITB, at some point you just need to grasp all of today's technology or you'll be left in the dust.

Third, light noshing with a couple drinks will run you about 60.00. A full dinner is between 120.00 and 200.00 around here. So I think my money is better spent chasing the sound I'm after. Ha ha

I mentioned the price as it's on sale now. Also after paying thousands for my AMS, Lexicon and Eventides in the past I have no trouble handing over 200.00 to a company that basically gave me a ton of plug ins. Will is a great guy and all I did was help him out with the Helios plug in a little bit and tell him how I thought every plug in sucked at that point. He wanted to prove me wrong... and he did and I have no trouble admitting that. I'm grateful for it in fact.

It's the UA plug ins that brought me to the point where I will now use plug ins for mastering... that step was huge for me personally. I don't use any UA plugs for this but I have no trouble using the DMG and a few other ones.

You guys did touch on what I was after... the Lexicon sound. On any of the videos where they compared them they sounded spot on. That Chuck says they're 97% there has just sold me.

200.00 for the Lexicon sound is stupid cheap to me. To me all this stuff is a bargain compared to what we used to have to shell out.

Thank you for the feedback guys.

Last Edited By: silvertone Dec 5 16 6:00 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#23 [url]

Dec 4 16 9:00 AM

podgorny wrote:
I just want to add that there is no Y in "algorithm". 

:-P

So true, but what I originally "spelt" was "algorhyms" which is a hybrid of environmentally conscious hip-hop and dub poetry...

I'd like to see a smart / predictive text input that corrects for the sort of typos caused by hitting adjacent keys...

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#24 [url]

Dec 4 16 9:11 AM

silvertone wrote:
First let me say thanks for the info guys.

Second, I have to agree that mixing ITB vs. OTB is no different other than the time it takes. I did this for months before I could bring myself to sell my Electrodyne console. I just had to prove to myself that it was emotion making me hold onto the console. In fact in the long run I felt my work ITB was a hair better. The other thing and I talked to Tchad Blake about it when he went all ITB, at some point you just need to grasp all of today's technology or you'll be left in the dust.

Third, light noshing with a couple drinks will run you about 60.00. A full dinner is between 120.00 and 200.00 around here. So I think my money is better spent chasing the sound I'm after. Ha ha

I mentioned the price as it's on sale now. Also after paying thousands for my AMS, Lexicon and Eventides in the past I have no trouble handing over 200.00 to a company that basically gave me 3k worth of plug ins. Will is a great guy and all I did was help him out with the Helios plug in a little bit and tell him how I thought every plug in sucked at that point. He wanted to prove me wrong... and he did and I have no trouble admitting that. I'm grateful for it in fact.

It's the UA plug ins that brought me to the point where I will now use plug ins for mastering... that step was huge for me personally. I don't use any UA plugs for this but I have no trouble using the DMG and a few other ones.

You guys did touch on what I was after... the Lexicon sound. On any of the videos where they compared them they sounded spot on. That Chuck says they're 97% there has just sold me.

200.00 for the Lexicon sound is stupid cheap to me. To me all this stuff is a bargain compared to what we used to have to shell out.

Thank you for the feedback guys.

I think you find many familiar things in the 224 plugin...

Here's my original (dry) Strat lick, which  I gave to UA for their 224 demo video, but run through my EMT 244, for comparison...

Kate%20EMT%20R5256214.jpg

Quote    Reply   

morespaceecho

Platinum Blonde

#26 [url]

Dec 4 16 12:14 PM

zmix wrote:
 dub poetry

now this is an idea whose time has come. you guys better pay attention to the profound wisdom in my iambic pentameter.

I....i....i.....i.....i.....i...i....

Ja....a....a.....a...a...a.....a...a...

Me.....e...e....e....e.....e....e...e....e...

www.oldcolonymastering.com

morespaceecho.bandcamp.com

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#27 [url]

Dec 4 16 12:37 PM

morespaceecho wrote:
zmix wrote:
 dub poetry

now this is an idea whose time has come. you guys better pay attention to the profound wisdom in my iambic pentameter.

I....i....i.....i.....i.....i...i....

Ja....a....a.....a...a...a.....a...a...

Me.....e...e....e....e.....e....e...e....e...
I was teasing a jazz guitarist friend that he needed to get in to dub poetry..  his name is "Ray" so I suggested a stage name of "iRay"....

Quote    Reply   

maarvold

Aqua Marine

#28 [url]

Dec 5 16 11:16 AM

OK boys: let's not fight.  First off, I have been a 'contrarian' in comparison to the general public trends.  When everyone thought summing was completely necessary, I thought it was completely unnecessary.  Then, when people first started saying it was no longer necessary, I brought home a Neve 8816, made a handful of stems out of a record I was mixing and suddenly I was enjoying my mixes, "suspending my disbelief" (phrase borrowed from film) and having fun listening to a greater extent.  It made me think I like one or two, but probably no more, 'pieces of iron' in the path.  So I get that the emotional response, which is what all music listening is about for me, might be different with a console/summing device or without one.  Whether or not there is an actual, provable difference between analog and digital summing no longer is relevant to me; I care about whether I am doing inspired work or not.  I would suggest that it is also in the best interest of your clients for you to be doing inspired work as well.  

Chuck, I am a 480 guy (but not necessarily a 960 guy).  I've heard a 224 a couple of times, but it never excited me.  But that may well be my problem--not understanding what it is good for--and not the 224's problem.  If you wouldn't consider it to be revealing trade secrets, what do you like to use it on?  Or what do you find you can more easily acheive with it over other reverbs?  

A friend has 2 EMT [I thought they were] 245's (predecessor to the 250) and they sound great, in a 250-ish way.  

Quote    Reply   

zakco

Platinum Blonde

#29 [url]

Dec 5 16 11:49 AM

Larry, if you have not yet bought the UA 224 plugin, (or even if you have), give this a try:

http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/reverbs/psp_2445/

I've never used a hardware 224/225 but I'm really enjoying the PSP verb and would be curious to hear your thoughts on it. It goes on sale occasionally for stupid cheap. I think I paid $40 or something like that.

edit: make sure you open the "open" panel at the bottom of the gui to access additional parameters. Why to plugin companies hide half the controls? Never did understand that...

Last Edited By: zakco Dec 5 16 11:56 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#30 [url]

Dec 5 16 12:02 PM

We all care about doing inspired work or we wouldn't be in this field. We certainly don't do it for the money, if we did then we'd all be idiots.

My inspiration comes from my front end as it delivers what I need for the back end to work.

Anyway I proved it to myself enough that I don't need a console and that's enough for me. Now having said that, I'm putting that tube console of mine at the back end once it's done. May not use it for everything but I'm sure it will bring a euphoric soundfield to the picture.

224XL was the king daddy in the series, that is the one I use to own (along with a 300 a PCM 60 and 70). I take it the 224 plug in have the XL algorithms since in their overview they claimed to have modeled everything up to the last revision of the 224 hardware.

Listen to any Chris Issack song and you will hear 224XL all over the vocals and drums. I use to use the same one as Chris at Dave Wellenhaus Studio in SF.

Thanks for the tid bits everyone.

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#31 [url]

Dec 5 16 12:09 PM

zakco wrote:
Larry, if you have not yet bought the UA 224 plugin, (or even if you have), give this a try:

I've never used a hardware 224/225 but I'm really enjoying the PSP verb and would be curious to hear your thoughts on it. It goes on sale occasionally for stupid cheap. I think I paid $40 or something like that.

edit: make sure you open the "open" panel at the bottom of the gui to access additional parameters. Why to plugin companies hide half the controls? Never did understand that...

Thank you for the link zako.  I do already have the UA EMT140 and 250, so I have that sound covered I think.

This is why I asked about the Lexicon as it's more (what I would describe as) artificial sounding and that is what I'm looking for.  To me a lexicon reverb cuts through the mix much easier than an EMT or an AMS and that is specifically what I am looking for. They work great on vocals and snare drums IMHO.

Quote    Reply   

zmix

Aqua Marine

#32 [url]

Dec 5 16 12:36 PM

zakco wrote:

I mentioned that plugin on page one of this thread..  I own the  EMT 244 HW and I think that plugin is very very good, and does several things the HW doesn't (not that it needs to!!). 

The reason SW manufacturers "hide" those parameters is because they did not exist in the original HW (see my 244 photo back a page for reference).

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help