soapfoot

Ruby Baby

#1 [url]

Dec 5 16 3:49 PM

would not have high hopes for the following reasons--

Will certainly not be a "clone" because the power supply requirements of the 1073 are different than what the 500 series format can provide.

Even with economies of scale, I don't find it feasible that correct-spec transformers could be implemented at anything close to that price point.

brad allen williams

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#2 [url]

Dec 5 16 4:11 PM

I don't find it that feasible for any of it to be implemented correctly at this price point! :-)

Every so often I peruse the asian brand names on eBay to see what the latest crazy cheap thing is. I thought this was almost outrageous.

I'm curious what it sounds like, but I'm not planning on getting one. (I don't have a 500 series rack for one.)

Might be an interesting purchase for some of the tech inclined here though, or anyone with curiosity and some time.

Quote    Reply   

Iggick

Silverado

#3 [url]

Dec 5 16 7:56 PM

Mic pre doesn't' have a red knob.
Can't be any good.
I put red knobs on my ACMP's and the difference was astounding.
Guess you could mod these too.

Quote    Reply   

owlander

Platinum Blonde

#7 [url]

Dec 6 16 2:26 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-x-Neve-Marconi-API-style-knobs-skirted-1073-1081-/111557438240?var=&hash=item19f9576b20:m:m9jC4hKxOvNqewmHTHXqieQ

Here they are on my 1290 copies(original transformers of course; obtained shortly before they entered into mass awareness!). I think I paid $80 each for the output transformers and $400 for the input transformers. The first 4 inputs actually being the 1066 octal 10468's, and the last 4 backwards 31267's! ...(I know, heresy!) The first 4 very slightly clearer in upper mid's...the last 4 slightly smoother. Splitting hairs tho.

Quote    Reply   

maarvold

Aqua Marine

#9 [url]

Dec 7 16 10:26 AM

I ordered 10.  I may temporarily put them on my 8 channel Millennia's (which are already unsual because they have a silver-ish/gold-ish faceplate)... just to see the look on people's faces as they try to wrap their head around the concept.  

Quote    Reply   

maarvold

Aqua Marine

#11 [url]

Dec 7 16 12:21 PM

compasspnt wrote:
You can get them a bit cheaper in larger lots with free shipping...

It would be funny (at least to me) to put them on every possible rotary switch and pot... maybe on my JTM45 even.   Nope--can't do that.  

Quote    Reply   

owlander

Platinum Blonde

#13 [url]

Dec 8 16 7:03 AM

Only if you act and sound like him too. Of course, everyone realizes(at least anybody honest with themselves that is sane) that you are not Groucho.

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#14 [url]

Dec 8 16 9:07 AM

Yeah, I find it amazing that anyone would believe that it could actually be a Neve clone at that price. Do they think all of the price is in the name?

Quote    Reply   

owlander

Platinum Blonde

#15 [url]

Dec 8 16 9:59 AM

I don't have as much of a problem with custom personal items(mine was a lot of work and it weighs a ton) but if they're being mass produced it's more or less like stealing music. Mine is more of a tribute than a clone...at least, that's how I try to rationalize it.

It did have regular blue knobs for the longest time. Sometimes I think I liked them better.

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#16 [url]

Dec 8 16 10:06 AM

Haven't any rights on the design expired? How is it like stealing to use a design in public domain?

Considering that little cheap boxes like the GAP clones do in fact follow some of the Neve design, I wouldn't be surprised if there was at least some sort of similarity with these Alctrons. Though I would expect many concessions that take it far off the plot.

Quote    Reply   

owlander

Platinum Blonde

#17 [url]

Dec 8 16 10:19 AM

I'm just speaking morally, personally....not legally. I mean, it's pretty much, so much the norm...that maybe it helps some kids out that want something cool.

The Alcatron as far as I know is as close to a cheap rip off that you will find, but they have issues with noise and hum, the inductors and transformers are knock off's, etc. The case is made out of steel...the eq cannot be used separately.

It's a feeding frenzy. The design that is....

Last Edited By: owlander Dec 8 16 10:24 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#18 [url]

Dec 8 16 10:36 AM

Well, there are many perspectives on the moral issues of using an idea that no longer has any legal protection. The fact that design protection expires after many, many years, is a balance that can help innovation, overall.

I don't find it immoral for someone to record and distribute a public domain song. I feel the same about a shoddy version of a piece of gear with no design protections.

Quote    Reply   

owlander

Platinum Blonde

#20 [url]

Dec 8 16 11:07 AM

Aside from that. Legalities don't mean anything to me in terms of moral judgement, other than it's supposed to be representative of... I have a a few friends that are no longer practicing law because of that very reason. It's the way they were brought up. People have a way of justifying things that benefit them, naturally.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help