natenajar

Gold Finger

Lead

Dec 11 16 11:58 PM

Tags : :

my klein and hummel near fields have managed to make themselves no longer serviceable.  I had to deal with sennheiser service with regard to these speakers about 5 years ago and it wasn't an easy process, so while I will phone sennheiser tomorrow about possibly bringing them back up to spec, I am considering an upgrade.  The easiest thing is a lateral move to the neumann kh120, which are a mildly "improved" version of what I already know.  Or I could get a used set of 1031's which i use a lot in a room down the street, those are all reasonably budget friendly.  A buddy in town has some little focal 6" things that he loves (he's a pro and we've worked a lot together so i trust his experiences) so I am going to borrow them after the new year to see what I think for a few weeks..... 

But I'm not sure what else is out there.  I demo'd the pmc two.two's when they came, out and really liked them but they're a bit dear for me.  There's a whole lot of advertised bottom feeder gear and the mid level and lower priced good things I just don't know about.... so what do you use and why?

thanks!
Quote    Reply   

zakco

Platinum Blonde

#4 [url]

Dec 13 16 4:47 PM

I have a pair of Trident HG3 and I couldn't be happier. They replaced Dynaudio BM15a and Adam A7Xs and really suit my room nicely. They are on the large side, but are very happy to sit up close like traditional near fields.

Quote    Reply   

natenajar

Gold Finger

#6 [url]

Dec 14 16 10:52 AM

does anyone know of any other service options? I am in Florida if there's anyone down here. I'm trying to avoid spending the cash to upgrade but I may have to, still, I hate the idea of just tossing them.....

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#7 [url]

Dec 14 16 12:43 PM

What's the problem? Are they self-powered? I gravitate to passive monitors because I have spares - a pair of Quested H108s and my old Bryston. If something goes down at least I can work.

Last Edited By: seth Dec 14 16 12:46 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

natenajar

Gold Finger

#9 [url]

Dec 14 16 1:16 PM

seth wrote:
What's the problem? Are they self-powered? I gravitate to passive monitors because I have spares - a pair of Quested H108s and my old Bryston. If something goes down at least I can work.

They're both giving a constant, low level high pitched whine and one of them has diminished high frequency response so the image is shifting. the one with the diminished HF response was doing the high pitched whine thing for a while- but only when it was powered up.  after a few minutes it would go away.  the other one (with the seemingly still correct freq response) just started whining the other day and it is a different pitch and louder than the other.  And they both do it constantly now. 

passive is sounding really good right now.....

Quote    Reply   

bigbone

Platinum Blonde

#10 [url]

Dec 14 16 2:16 PM

podgorny wrote:
At the low end of the price spectrum, I don't think there is a better speaker than the JBL LSR308. 

Used them everday and LOVE them.

JN

Quote    Reply   

silvertone

Aqua Marine

#15 [url]

Dec 24 16 7:37 AM

I use B&W 805's. I find they translate well to the outside world. I use my B&W 802's more but then check on the smaller 805's in the other room.

Also have Paradigms and Advents that I check on as they represent a dark speaker and a bright speaker.

Have a little 2" powered speaker for my iPhone and also check on my iPad and computer monitor speakers.

Quote    Reply   

barkleymckay

Platinum Blonde

#17 [url]

Dec 27 16 6:43 AM

Still using 15 year old Genelec 1030a. Can't afford anything else so have got used to their slightly soft midrange. A pair of AR18s have helped in that department.
A pair of Mac balls (those old HK ones from the anglepoise imac) are useful too.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help