weedywet

Ruby Baby

#21 [url]

Jan 6 17 10:57 PM

maarvold wrote:

seth wrote:
The problem isn't the opinion...it's the soliciting of the opinion. It's often based on unfinished tracks...

The potentially applicable phrase I've heard through the years is: "Never show an idiot an unfinished product".  

not always possible.

inevitably the manager, the A&R weasel, the girlfriend, the art director, the drummer (image), will want to hear the work in progress and it cannot always be avoided

when I was a CBS staff producer I once was resisting giving out rough mixes to the art department.
The art director said "But we can't do the cover until we've heard the musc!"
to which I replied "well then I don't know what we can do because t I can't mix the record until I've seen the cover"
this got a laugh at the meeting, but did not win me friends.

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#23 [url]

Jan 7 17 8:12 AM

The problem is if the idiot is ostensibly on your side. It's also common to find out that within one organization (band, songwriting team, not necessarily a large organization) there are dueling agendas. I was in a band that disintegrated over that, which WW may remember seeing. My observation has been that non-musical problems have sunk far more groups than musical ones.

Quote    Reply   

maarvold

Aqua Marine

#24 [url]

Jan 7 17 10:00 AM

weedywet wrote:
...when I was a CBS staff producer I once was resisting giving out rough mixes to the art department.
The art director said "But we can't do the cover until we've heard the musc!"
to which I replied "well then I don't know what we can do because t I can't mix the record until I've seen the cover"
this got a laugh at the meeting, but did not win me friends.

Great story.  If it was 'geographically possible', I suppose you could have invited them to drop by the studio so they could 'bask in the aura'.  But that could also eat up valuable mix time and vibe.  

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help