weedywet

Ruby Baby

#1 [url]

Dec 27 16 2:03 PM

I'm a fan of their MJUC

i haven't tried the saturation because I'm just not that interested in another saturation plugin from anyone. 

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#2 [url]

Dec 28 16 7:57 PM

Yes, I've also been into MJUC... which led me to thinking about the SDRR plugin.

I don't have a distortion/saturation plugin that I think feels particularly natural for more general purpose use (not amp sim), and it seems like the various modes that SDRR has look well thought out; tube, digital, fuzz, desk.

It also intrigues me to hear about people using the desk mode as a basic sort of channel strip - it has an eq section built in that apparently shifts between a 1073 feel, to a Pultec feel, depending on how you configure it. If anyone here used it, I was going to ask how that section of the plugin works out for them.

Quote    Reply   

Cirrus

Tin Man

#3 [url]

Dec 29 16 7:22 PM

I like SDRR, it's a steal for the price. I mostly use it for obvious distortion - parallel bass fuzz, ditto on drums, crunchy vocals, fat snares with the tube setting etc, and it does the job well. I like desk on kick and snare, set lightly to round out the transients a touch. And yes, the "tight" button on the desk model eq section does something of a Pultec boost/cut curve to my ears, and I like it for a little bit of extra kick low end. My other 'Pultec' plug is Nomad Factory Pulsetec, I'd say SDRR gives a tighter, punchier low end boost than that but not quite as big sounding and often I prefer the slightly looser thicker sound.  Obviously Pulsetec gives you a lot more control, too..

I did try the desk mode on the mix bus once to do what I use Waves' NLS bus for, it didn't pull the mix together the same way to my ears. Can't complain though since that's not what it's sold as. The only thing I'd really change is that the parallel wet/dry mix knob comes after the input gain - sometimes I'll push the input gain right up to kick the distortion harder, want a parallel blend and find that the dry signal is blisteringly loud, which means the useful range of the mix knob is reduced. As such, I usually run it on a separate bus send.

MJUC makes me nervous, because everyone raves about it and I just never seem to use it. What am I not hearing?

Last Edited By: Cirrus Dec 29 16 7:27 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#4 [url]

Dec 29 16 10:52 PM

"MJUC makes me nervous, because everyone raves about it and I just never seem to use it. What am I not hearing?"

Just sounds good to me. It just works in an expected way for me, without any discernible unexpected side effects that I notice down the road. The controls all feel really obvious and can shift the basic feel of the compressor mode in useful ways, from transparent to more obvious, darker or with a little more cut.

It can give pretty darn legit sounding "glue" on the stereo bus or submixes...while also being able to be setup to work nicely on vocals (transparently, or colored), other solo instruments. It can knock kick or bass into place, add grit or a more cracking sound to a snare. Seems really musical in general. What else could I ask of the lil guy?

I like it while tracking too, because it's intuitive and quick to get going, and also good enough to not wind up being a placeholder for something else in the end.

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#7 [url]

Dec 30 16 8:52 AM

I thought there was a BIG step up in usefulness between the MJUC jr and the full MJUC. MJUC jr was interesting, but it doesn't necessarily make a great "demo" for MJUC itself.

Quote    Reply   

Cirrus

Tin Man

#8 [url]

Dec 30 16 6:39 PM

Interestingly the SDRR's little brother, the free IVGI, is kinda different too. Both that and MJUC jr. do things the big brothers don't.

Quote    Reply   

seth

Ruby Baby

#9 [url]

Dec 30 16 7:10 PM

I was looking today to toughen up a male vocal that's a little too sweet in a duet . I couldn't get what I wanted with saturation or compression - all I got was a distorted or squashed sweet vocal. The song is in C Major and the guy's melody is very simple. I wound up using Auto-tune on automatic (which I never do) at a slow retune speed with the formant shift set to lower the timbre of his voice. It worked for me, we'll see if the client likes it.

Quote    Reply   

Cirrus

Tin Man

#10 [url]

Dec 31 16 2:13 PM

OK, I tried MJUC on the master bus. I like it.

Presumably Klanghelm put their decent VU meter ballistics in the plug, because it sounds like it starts doing stuff a bit before the GR meter begins to twitch?

Quote    Reply   

maarvold

Aqua Marine

#11 [url]

Jan 23 17 9:43 AM

I just finished recording horns and strings for a substantial-sized (and budgeted) project.  When it was time for rough mixes, the first thing the composer wanted to put on the tracks to make them more like the demo the 'mucky mucks' had been listening to was SDRR.  They didn't have it at the studio, so we ended up getting there a different way.  But I bought SDRR over the weekend; it's almost like how can you not: it's less than $30.  I just spent a few minutes with it yesterday.  Paging through the presets, it seems like, when you're thinking of 'futzing' something (as the post production guys I know call it), it gives a lot of choices that might work immediately without destroying the character of the source, although some presets make the source unrecognizable as well.  I'm sure I will find uses for it.  

Quote    Reply   

gtoledo3

Aqua Marine

#12 [url]

Jan 23 17 12:12 PM

I've only had it for a few days...

I tried out the various modes on some already recorded stuff, was digging it. I like how it exposes the algorithms and then adds the other stuff to help set them up to shine...without necessarily being an emulation of anything.

I *accidentally* had the tube mode engaged on a channel I was routing a M49CG->tab v78m->WA76 chain to, because of my earlier testing.... and was strumming some acoustic guitar into it.

SURPRISING. I wouldn't think of that being something to add SDRR to - it sounded great without anything - but it really did add a pleasing quality on top. My only other discovery so far is that I do really like the simplistic EQ feature as well.

Klanghelm is just about the only plugin manufacturer that touches on these sort of ideas, that I really like the results of. If SDRR was a pedal or rack unit, I'm sure I'd use it. Same for MJUC.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help