rbreen

Silverado

Lead

Dec 28 16 12:44 PM

Tags : :

Hey all - A friend of mine just got a couple of Sony C38-Bs for Xmas.  The stand mount is some large-ish (in the 3/4" range) threaded mount, but it's not anything standard that I've seen - I don't have it in my hands so I can't measure it exactly.  Clearly requires an adaptor to fit a standard 5/8-27 mount.  Anyone happen to know off the top of their heads what that mount is, and where one might find the correct adaptor?

thanks!
rich
Quote    Reply   

chance

Aqua Marine

#1 [url]

Dec 28 16 4:21 PM

I have had some mic clips that were screwed too tight on the mic stand, and when I finally got it loose, the mic clip unscrewed, but left its adapter still tight on the mic stand. I'm not sure it is standard pitch thread. You should be able to get a reducer/adapter. You will need to know the female size and thread, reduced to the mic stand 5/8 size. B&H, Sweetwater, and full Compass carries them

Quote    Reply   

rbreen

Silverado

#2 [url]

Dec 28 16 5:46 PM

That's the point isn't it?  Wondering if anyone has one of these and happens to know the size/thread pitch of the stand mount?  it's def not anything standard.

thanks in advance,
rich

Quote    Reply   

owlander

Platinum Blonde

#6 [url]

Dec 29 16 1:01 AM

The link is from Sony, for that mike Chris. I have the 5/8 adapter, on my C38B. I would suggest going with the adapter from Sony if available.

Sony, is correct.

Quote    Reply   

studiochap

Gold Finger

#7 [url]

Dec 29 16 1:19 PM

I'm going back a long time, so I could be very wrong here....But I have some recollections from 30+ years ago about the C38B ( and C37P ) stand mounts. I used to work with these mics a lot back in the day.

If you use two adapters, the inner  adapter is in danger of being screwed right through the outer adaptor, at which point it breaks the moulded rubber inside the stand mount, and the mic will then flop about on the stand. I found the best way was with a single black plastic genuine Sony adaptor, making it impossible for the rubber to be damaged. This adaptor was supplied with a Sony ECM-989 stereo mic. Apologies if it's the same adaptor as in the link...I couldn't quite see!

if there is a threaded ring washer on the end of the boom arm of the mic stand, this of course should prevent the inner adapter from entering too far into the mount, so you should be OK with two adaptors in that situation.

Gwyn Mathias Mixer Madness in one form or another since 1972... Happy Sequoia user!

Last Edited By: studiochap Dec 29 16 1:25 PM. Edited 3 times.

Quote    Reply   

John Eppstein

Platinum Blonde

#8 [url]

Dec 29 16 1:23 PM

rbreen wrote:
That's the point isn't it?  Wondering if anyone has one of these and happens to know the size/thread pitch of the stand mount?  it's def not anything standard.

thanks in advance,
rich

I berlieve it's a standard pipe thread but don't remember what. Didn't RCA use something similar on some of their really early stuff?

Quote    Reply   

maarvold

Aqua Marine

#10 [url]

Dec 29 16 7:40 PM

rbreen wrote:
...where one might find the correct adaptor?

AEA/Wes Dooley (in Pasadena) carries a lot of that type of stuff.  

Quote    Reply   

nobturner

Gold Finger

#11 [url]

Jan 1 17 6:36 PM

i've used the windtech adapters that are linked above from B&H photo/video. they're just fine. they also work for the RCA 44 and 77 mounts. the AEA parts are prettier, and cost more than double the price... kind of high for what they do. pipe thread to 5/8-27.

Quote    Reply   

rbreen

Silverado

#12 [url]

Jan 15 17 2:30 PM

For anyone who's following this; Sony has added the part number to their online store (it was not in the database previously).  It is: 210095200- ADAPTOR MICROPHONE SCREW STAND.  A whopping $4.  

Yes, the B&H/Wintech part is the same (though 3x the price) and fits this mic. 

Now, if someone can tell me why it's called "1/2" Pipe Thread" when it's much larger than 1/2" - more like 3/4" OD - I'd love to know...  Maybe it's actually 1/2" ID pipe??  Lord only knows...

thanks,
rich

Last Edited By: rbreen Jan 15 17 2:32 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Mike Rivers

Aqua Marine

#13 [url]

Jan 16 17 9:07 AM

rbreen wrote:
Now, if someone can tell me why it's called "1/2" Pipe Thread" when it's much larger than 1/2" - more like 3/4" OD - I'd love to know...  Maybe it's actually 1/2" ID pipe??  Lord only knows...

Pipes are like that. It's what keeps plumbers in business.  The bigger the pipe, the closer the size name is to the actual outside diameter. A nominal 10" or 12" pipe is about 3/4" "oversize" but a 1/4" pipe has an outside diameter a bit over 1/2". The nominal size is roughly the inside diameter.

Most pipe threads are tapered so they make a better seal. The open end is a little undersize so it starts screwing in easily, then gets tighter as the inside and outside diameters get closer together. The T in NPT stands for "tapered."  MPT and FPT, however, add the information that it's a male or a female thread. Copper and plastic pipes live in a different world, though a 10 foot piece of 1/2" plastic pipe, copper pipe, and steel pipe all hold the same volume of water.

See? It's a lead pipe cinch. Now go fix that leaky sink toilet!

For a good time, call mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Quote    Reply   

nobturner

Gold Finger

#15 [url]

Jan 26 17 12:45 PM

rbreen wrote:
For anyone who's following this; Sony has added the part number to their online store (it was not in the database previously).  It is: 210095200- ADAPTOR MICROPHONE SCREW STAND.  A whopping $4.  

Yes, the B&H/Wintech part is the same (though 3x the price) and fits this mic. 

thanks,
rich

however, i believe the sony part is made of plastic, while the WindTech part is made of steel.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help